If you had a chance to pick up multiple instruments , then which ones and why ??

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by magnusdeus123, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Guitar (Rhythm/Lead)

20.2%
  2. Keyboard (Synth/Piano)

35.6%
  3. Drums/Percussion

29.8%
  4. Carrots.....

11.5%
  5. Upright Bass

2.9%
  1. Select the instrument you would want to pick up in the case you were give the chance now . If you already know multiple instruments , then select that instrument which you know , or are most proficient at , and tell me why you chose that one besides bass , or in that regard .

The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking along the lines of picking up another instrument , but I'm not sure if I should at this time , because this is the time I need some serious woodshedding on my bass , practicing modes and such .

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    You should have included Upright Bass and multiple options. I equally suck at guitar, keys, upright bass and clarinet. You know what they say about trying to double (or triple or quadruple). IMO the easiest transition is to guitar, and I'd say that either guitar or keys would be the most practical if you're intent is to compose on your own.

3. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Already play keyboard somewhat... would like to learn to play:

- congas
    - EWI

4. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    What's EWI?

5. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have played guitar longer than bass and worked quite a bit on guitar. So my choice is keyboard in this day and age you can do anything with a keyboard and a computer.

6. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Besides bass I play guitar and Champman stick (and played flute years ago), I'd really like to play enough drums to be dangerous.

7. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    I'm not half bad as a rhythm guitarist. My drumming needs a ton of work, but I can play 'em. I wish I could make my hands ignore my brain when attempting to play keys/piano.

I play guitar because it would be difficult for me to write songs if I didn't (and after 20 years of noodling with friends guitars, you'd hope I'd learn something).

I play drums (if that's what you want to call it) because they're fun and noisy, and who doesn't like to make noise?

Keys/piano I only wish I could play.

8. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Guitar.
    Because...I dunno. Great instrument.

Then drums.
    I've been playing the drums on Rock Band and I've been having a blast!

9. Could you guys who are posting , specially the veterans , also mention which you'd think is a good instrument to go onto , and which would help you overall as a musician . I was planning to move onto Drums a bit since everyone talks about locking with teh drummer and all that , or move onto guitar's a bit more for composing purposes (....and for that fact that I like Satriani more than I like Wooten...{--"}) but now it's kinda seeming that everyone's recommending key's .

10. The Metal Guy

The Metal Guy

Nov 5, 2005
    I would have listed upright bass too. But since that isn't listed, I already play pretty good guitar.

But if I was thinking just from the view point of a pure bass player who's never even touched a guitar before, I'd say drums to study the interaction between drums and bass better.

11. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I picked guitar since I own a couple and still play (sort of). I mainly noodle around on them and play power chords. :smug:

I think learning keyboards would be very useful for composing music. Many college/university music programs require piano as part of their carruculum because it is so widely used for music composition. I was never good with the left hand right hand coordination on the keys to be any good. :meh:

12. I already play keyboard, drums and guitar

looking forward to learning the harmonica (blues)
    and autoharp (no joke)

13. I play a little of each of those (well, a lot of guitar). And I have each of those instruments.

Well, my carrots don't sound that great, but I think I just need an upgrade.

14. Ramstien

Ramstien

Aug 19, 2007
    Perth
    I can play a few things on piano, except I can't with both hands. My brain = *explode*.

15. I heard you get a good discount's on the best ones during march....maybe you should try that.....:p

16. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Drums, hands (and feet!) down.

17. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Electronic Wind Instrument.

Jeff Kashiwa is a brilliant player, I'll try to post a link...

If you watch the whole 6 minutes, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I would love to learn EWI because it is so expressive.
    Re: the congas because they are my favorite sounding drum and they require strict discipline of rhythm.

18. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Piano is the basic instrument of Western Music. It lays everything out visually and covers the complete range of the orchestra. So it is the best way to learn theory and harmony because most everything has been worked out relative to the piano.

A little piano goes a long way, but the important thing is to have at least some solid experience with a harmonic instrument, mine is guitar. I would never claim to play piano and I don't have the time right now to learn and still keep up with the rest of life, but I own a keyboard and refer to it when working out complex harmonies and use it to bang out simple parts on recordings.

19. Seussbass

Seussbass

Dec 14, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I'm torn between the drums and the piano. I used to take piano lessons as a kid but I packed it in long ago. I was hardly a child prodigy and after so much time I can only play pretty basic piano.

As far as the drums go I can't play at all. I just can't get my head around them but I'd love to just sit and practice. Just like the piano though it's something that I'm probably not going to get around to doing for a long time.

20. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    Mandolin. I have no clue why I want to learn to play one but, every time I hit a music store that has one, I'll look over the basses they have but actually pick up and noodle on the mandolin.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021