Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If You Had A Choice.......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tony Mig., Mar 2, 2001.

1. Tony Mig.

Tony Mig.

Jan 29, 2001
    I'm shopping around for a small combo type bass amp for practice and home recording. I've been checking out a few, and was looking for some input on the following models....

Ampeg BR-50, or BR-100
    SWR Workingman's 10
    Hartky 120 tiltback cab
    Fender Bassman 25 or 60 tiltback cab

2. rockthistown

rockthistown

Jan 8, 2001
    I like the workingmans 10. It records great, and has a very modern sound to it. I run it direct and mike the speaker with great results....The sound sits well in the mix with a ton of punch to it .....hope this helps you....

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    WM-12. You'll get more bottom out of it.

4. I heard the WM-10 has more punch then the WM-12, but I'm not personally familiar with either. I'm an Eden fan myself. I know they have some nice combos. ;)

5. im stuck between ampeg and swr....i love both equally. its too hard to choose.

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, shoot-fire, bassin', if I'da knowed Eden was a option, I'da said Metro. So, OK, Metro.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Based on the amps mentioned, a Metro doesn't really fit as a small practice/ home recording kind of amp, it's overkill;)

The Ampeg B-100R is in a different league as far as tone, bottom and volume vs. the other amps mentioned. Not even close. At ~$420 new and under $300 used it's also very hard to beat price-wise... including Edens.

The other manufacturers have a funny idea of what constitutes an "affordable" amp.

If price isn't important, look at the Metro, the SWR Redhead, The EBS Drome, The H&K combos...and the Ampeg B-100R;) I think it's that good.

8. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    What Brad said. The Ampeg B-100R is the best medium size/power combo in its price range. Great tone and surprising volume, along with killer looks.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I guess I should add that it's very easy to beat if you don't like it's sound;)

10. And what's wrong with overkill!???:D

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Nothing at all. Merchants love it;)

12. Tony Mig.

Tony Mig.

Jan 29, 2001
    Thanks for the input so far guys.
    The shop around the corner from me has both the SWR Workingman's 10, and an Ampeg BR-100. As soon as I get a day off, I'll take my Bass over there and try them both out. As far as what I get depends on wether or not some of the gear I have up for sale moves at the price I'm looking for, if it does, I'll be able to spend a little more money and go the "overkill" route, if not, I'll have to stay within the limitations of small & cheap....

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh, for Pete's sake! Don't buy an Ampeg.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another vote for the B100.

It's about 4 times as loud as that little WM10.

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Pete left a few minutes ago. Go ahead, look at the Ampeg;)

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Fenders BXR 100 isnt a bad little amp for the buck. I used to have one of them along time ago, the are good for rehersals and the line out jack makes them very handy for recordings. They also have a 7 band graphic eq and a pretty good tone to boot. Just another option you could consider.

17. Tony Mig.

Tony Mig.

Jan 29, 2001
    I was just checking out the offerings from Tube Works, they have a model 3030 on the low end, and the 7100 & 7200 on the upper end.
    The 3030 runs about $300.00 and the other two run $600.00 and $700.00, but the only dealer that carries this line, is pretty far away from my home.
    Right now the Ampeg BR-100, or the Fender Bassman's are looking like the best bang for the buck, but I'm not ready to buy yet, so I'll keep looking and trying things out.

Again, thanks for all the advice, and don't hesitate to give me more.....

18. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Pete must work for Eden!
    Check out the Ampeg.

19. You may also want to look into Genz Benz. They have a couple combos worth considering.

The GBE-250C 112 or the GBE-250C 210. Those are the "blow the doors down" combos.

Something that would be closer to a WM 12 or the Ampeg 112 would be the Genz Benz ML-12. What I'm finding is that the Genz Benz is running about $100 cheaper than the SWR.

Hope this helps.

20. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    My vote goes for the Ampeg B100 that is a killer little combo, you can get one used for like 299.
    Great amp!