1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

If You Had Around $3000.00 To Spend...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Cathead, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    ....and was wanting a hybrid bass would you spend it on the Upton or would you go for a Strunal and spend the balance on something else? I am in the market for a solid top bass. I recently bought a new ES9 Engelhardt and I love it. But, I don't want to die without having experienced owning a solid top. Does anyone here think the Upton is worth the extra $$$ as opposed to the Strunal? I could have almost 2 of the Strunals for the $$$. What say ye?

2. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    One of my favorite hybrids is the Eastman VB125Bu (busetto shape). See if you can play one within a couple of hours of where you live. The Eastman basses are pretty widely distributed. I think that they even have a dealer locator feature on their website.

Good luck in the search!

3. Just curious, but any particular reason you're looking for a hybrid? For $3000 you can find some well-kept, fully-carved instruments...mostly from Eastern Europe and they're built like tanks :)

4. Tslicebass

Tslicebass Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Chicago
    I got a wonderful hybrid Shen for under 3000 bucks...
    It sounds great, plays great and has been very reliable

5. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    I'm not looking for a hybrid as much as I'm looking for at least a carved top. Fully carved would be even better, but I figured there was no way I could afford one of the better fully carved basses. I am nowhere near a place where I can go play several basses and choose one. In fact, I drove 3 hours one way to buy my Engelhardt. I have no idea where I can find fully carved basses for $3000.00. I appreciate your input. When it comes to something like this I need all the help I can get. :)

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    You are quite correct-- unless you can find a deal on a nice older used carved bass.

7. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    .....yep....which is hard for me to do living where I do far away from any bass shops or populated areas with people wanting to sell their basses.

8. Pearldiver

Pearldiver

Apr 30, 2005
    For 3k i'd get as many Sadowsky 5/24 jazz basses I could get. :hyper:

9. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    I forgot to mention I play primarily bluegrass. I want a solid top bass to use in the studio. Thanks, y'all. Sadowsky......that's a new one on me. I know they make electric basses. I'll check it out.

10. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    Don't waste your time thats one of them silly Electric player posting over on your side.

11. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    Yeah.....I figured that out after I posted and edited. Thanks.

12. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I'd say visit a dealer and play a few basses. Nick Lloyd in Cincy would be a good bet, but there may be something closer. You might get lucky buying a bass before playing it, but it's a gamble.

13. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Try Steve at www.bassesonline.com for another option. I've got a Roma hybrid on order and I've heard good things about the Eberle basses also. I think with your budget you could get a fully carved.

14. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    Yeah, that's my problem. There are no dealers even close. Closest one is 3 hours one way and he only has 2 hybrids.

Some great looking prices over there. I would love to be able to see one and play it.

15. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    What happens is you buy a bass online and you don't like it?
    It's worth the trip, trust me.

16. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hey...you! Thanks for stopping by. This was great. You need any help getting back to where you belong? No? Well, it was great to see you. Really, we've got to get coffee some time. My number? Oh, uh...I'm thinking about switching cell providers, but I'll call you, really, it was just great.

17. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    I know that what you say is true, but if I take the trip there goes my $3000.00 budget for a bass. I am going to Florida the middle of September. Perhaps I could find a bass shop in Orlando or Tampa, play some basses, and if I found one have it shipped back home. I think that's maybe a wise thing to do. Thanks for your good advise.

18. I have a fully carved Bulgarian Kremona that was well under $3000 that I bought from Gollihur Music new. It is a little over two years old now and I really love this bass. It has opened up and has a great tone both pizz and arco. It is a 4/4 5-string model, which is quite a deal for the price. It is also one that can keep up very well volume wise with other acoustic instruments, even a grand piano. Very sturdy build and great carving job too. If I had $3K, that would be my first choice. You will have money left for a pro set-up, bow and accessories.

Also check out the Calin Wulter line carried by Ken Smith. He has hybrids and fully carved. These are Romanian made by a very good maker there. Whatever you are playing, I think the carved top is a good idea. You will have a much better tonal quality no matter what genre you decide to explore and the arco tone really shows that up.

19. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    That is some great info, Silversorcerer! I had considered the same bass from Bob as well. My disadvantage with that route is the setup. I know I can't do it adequately and there is not a luthier anywhere close to me. I appreciate your input so very much.

20. How about a drive to Denver? At least, give Bob Ross a call. www.rossdoublebass.com He's a great luthier, making and repairing fabulous DB's. Last time I was in his shop, he had two hybrids for well under $3,000.
    If it's worth the drive, you should at least give him a call. Cool guy too.
    His set-up work is perfect too.
    I know one of the two basses is a Shen by the way.