Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

if you had the connections...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adamaarts, Mar 15, 2003.

1. simple, average, reliable, lightweight

17 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. powerful, eq, shaping etc

33 vote(s)
    58.9%
  3. Multi Effects ad useless knobs

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Other

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    just a little backgrond, i am having an all tube amp made for me, i have already decided and told the guy what i want. in simple terms , just a good eq, and pretty powerful.

i want to know if you had the connection and money (or just pretend its a magic wish) what would youlook for in an amp.

besides from choosing, please give me your thoughts.

2. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    oh and just so you know, mine is similar to a 1975 ampeg model v-9 but mine just has graphic eq, switchable distortion, and i still have to confirm the total wattage. it ha nothin fancy like compresion, or any effects except distortion, no contour controls, and its ALL TUBE

3. I voted for "other" but really I should have ticked all boxes. I want it all.

4. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    the first 2 options all in one sweet sweet package.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i voted for simple and lightweight, but i'd hardly call an EA iAMP350, an Eden WT400, an Acoustic Image Clarus, or a Walter Woods, average in tone.

besides, with my grandma ass and all, i dont like carryin' too much. ;)

6. weight and reliablilty are defiantly big factors, but id go for the powerful and good shaping EQ amp..

...mm power!!!!

7. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I think the amp you're having made sounds pretty perfect. The number one thing I'd say is all tube and then simplicity is next.

8. I just want a volume knob. The tone would be controlled by a chip implanted in my brain. Since my tastes change on a moment-to-moment basis.:D

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    haha.. I know how that is Bottomdweller. Personally I just liek some eq and solid sound witha light cab... Oh, has that pedal shown up at your door yet?

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Oh, lots of useless knobs! Definitely knobs! And sliders!! At least two graphic EQ sections! And lights!!! You forgot lights!!! I want loads of blinking multi-colored lights, and at least two big VU-meters! And a big multi-purpose LCD-display, backlit in red! Hmm, maybe some chrome handles too...

Phew! Ran out of steam much sooner than I expected. I hate my current amp, no lights, no VUs, just a simple basic EQ section and terrific good sound with a tube preamp. I wanted blinking lights! And sliders...

[​IMG]

:D

PS. I think your on the right track. Keep it simple and concentrate on good tone.

11. if i were getting something custom built, it would be powerful, solid-state, and simple. no effects loop or crossovers or onboard effects. the only special features i ask for are two sweepable mid controls and a built-in limiter. and an XLR out is always nice.

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Powerful, simple, and with toneshaping. My dream amp can go from clean and transparent, pure bass tone, to thick and crunchy with lots of thump. So, I voted option # 2.

That said, any suggestions for a guy on a budget of about $1,000?

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    btw, stinks,

who's building your amp? anyone we know? Fred at Divided by 13 perhaps?

14. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    heavy,compact,all tube,with simple controls.
    -if anyone's familiar with the THD Bi/Univalve guitar amps,this is the model i would follow.the Eden VT-300 is very close as well,but i would prefer the flip top mesh cover of the THD.
    the music industry should learn to make stronge,yet quick release latches as the gun industry has on crane/cylinder locks and magazine releases.switching tubes should be a fast action in my"skies the limit"design.

15. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    wow this thread is pretty old. the guy who was gonna make it was asking too much for labor (more than 150-200 hours) to make it, so i actually bought a carvin R1000 instead, but i got what i wanted anyway without spending a lot. even though i dont have tubes, i still get the sound i like.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Amen, another convertee..... I was gonna suggest a solid state section so you would have somewhere to go when you realised tubes aren't as magical as some claim. Fate took care of that one.

17. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    yea, i know what you mean pete

i wanted a tube amp since i had played through an all tube ampeg, but i liked the idea of:

1. lightweight (solid state)
    2. reliable (solid state)
    3. price (solid state)

all with the same tone, and more power and features, like biamping and graphic eq