If you had the dough, Ken Smith or Yamaha 6 String?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ampeglb100, Jan 17, 2005.

1. ampeglb100

Oct 1, 2002
    Portland, OR

So, I used to have a Ken Smith BSR6MW a few years ago, liked it alot, but couldn't get the exact tone I wanted out of it, plus felt... weird, to spend so much money ($2500) and not even get fingerboard inlays. So I sold it and waited for a while and recently picked up am old Yamaha TRB-6P neck thru (older style) and like it alot. It is alot warmer, a bit more ergonomic in some areas, a bit less in others, but overall it seems pretty good and I paid a lot less for it ($900). But, it is in less than perfect shape and I would like a newer model six string in nice shape to be my main six. So, looking at new Yamaha's, there is the TRB-6PII and the John Pat. bass (which is IMPOSSIBLE to find new right now), and there is a neck thru BSR Ken Smith at BassNW right now - and all of these basses are about the same $$$. I like a wide, flat, and thin neck, so all these basses meet that need perfectly, and there just isn't much in this price range that is similar.

What would you guys do if you had the dough to blow? I feel OK spending around $1000 for a Yamaha, but spending over $2000 seems weird to me, compared to what else you could get. I am supposing I guess that the neck thru Smith would feel and sound better than the bolt on I had, which seemed a bit "harsh" to my ears, plus it just seemed weird to spend that much money for a bolt on "cheaper" model...

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I prefer a bolt necked bass myself....

Smiths and high end Yamahas are both some fine tools. Which feels better to you? The Smith will likely hold it's value more then the Yamaha.
  3. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    You see alot of Roscoe 6 strings as well. They're fairly plentiful, sound great and it's easy to find a good price on them. The Yamaha JPat. 6's are ridiculously overpriced new....as or more expensive than a new Roscoe or Smith. You can easily find a new Roscoe 6 for the price of the used Smith at BassNW, though which one you might prefer is subjecive.

I reread your post, the Roscoe neck is fairly wide at 18mm but not as wide as the Patitucci or old Yamaha 6 neck.
  4. I've never played a more balanced sounding bass than my Ken Smith Burner bolt-on 5string. The soundman at The Horseshoe here in Toronto flips out when he sees it and says that it is the only bass where he doesn't need to compress the signal in the PA. He also jokes that if he were to set up a large club sound system that he'd call me in and have me play octave notes all around the neck to properly EQ the system.

My 2 cents, I love the Ken Smith.

5. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Can't speak for the 6 string models but I've owned both in 5
    string models and I still have the Smith. As far as tone goes IMHO there no comparison. The Smith is the superior instrument by far. I'm not dissin the TRB it's a great bass for the money. ( I paid a grand for mine ). My Smith is a bolt on but I have played the NT and if I had the cash I'd have one. If you have the greenstamps buy the Smith. You won't be dissapointed
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    COnsidering that you want a quality six string bass that is new or in very good condition, I don't know why you would feel odd paying $2,000+. That is often going rate for such basses. If you wanted a J-bass or something, I could see your reservation, but not for a quality six. I have owned both Yamaha and Ken Smith sixes and both are really great. I think the Ken SMith has more "mojo" and definitely more resale value. But ultimately, it's all about what feels and sounds good to you. You know what you like, and you officially have our permission to get what you want. :cool:
  7. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Neither :eek: go get yourself a Nordstrand :D