Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If you had to choose between Korg DTR-2 and Boss TU-2 based solely on tuning ........

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gman, Mar 29, 2002.

1. DTR-2

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. TU-2

21 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Forget the pretty lights, bells and whistles. Just by performance, which would you choose ? I have a rack with an extra space, and a pedal board, so the logistics are not an issue.

Which is the better TUNER ?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. TU-2.

Don't need a rack to use it.
    Acts as a mute button.
    Don't have to turn around to use it.
    Has the fastest tracking of any tuner I've ever seen/used.
    It's about 1/2 to 1/3 the price.
    It can be used to set up parallel cords for whatever other stompboxes you use that require 9VDC.
    ....I guess that's about all I can think of.

3. DTR-1 / DTR-2..

They have real good tracking, and are very good visible during plays.

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    What are your existing pedals? one good thing aboud the korg is that your signal doesn't have to go through it. A lot of people think that boss pedals will alter any sound you put through them. With the korg, you can send a signal to it with a tuner out, and never have to use it again.

5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Allodo makes a good point about tracking, but why would you need to see it during a performance???

6. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Not as much participation as I would have liked, but thanks to those who did give advice. As far as the poll, it is tied. I'll break it......I'm getting the Korg.

Thanks,
    Dave

7. Cool man. Glad to be of help, even if not a lot of people voiced their opinons.

Maybe no one tunes anymore? :D

8. coz i'd love to stay correctly tuned thru-out the whole song ;)
    specially if you've got new strings..

i often check my bass's tuning during a song.. gotta love those mute-pedals :)

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Same here, AllodoX. It's really nice to be able to check tune from across the room when on a wireless!

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I tune with a tuning fork by vibration before a show. When I hear a slight bit of variance, I adjust by ear. No complaints yet! In fact the other guy tunes to me. I would buy the Korg for the no pass through thing and the lights are far cooler looking.

11. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Have you seen the Korg DT-7s by chance?

[​IMG]

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=DT7

They're sort of a compromise between both options. Plus, you won't need a rackmount to mount it.

I'm thinking of getting either a DT-7 or a TU-2.

The DT-7 is a little cheaper than the TU-2 as well. But, I like how the TU-2 can supply power to other Boss pedals.

Just some more fuel to the fire.... especially if you're set with Korg.

Brent

12. Boss TU2 for me. The only sound difference is that there's a slight amount of signal bleed when it's in bypass mode (to be expected).

A tuner that you can see well is super-invaluable when on dark stages (ie the lights go down between songs, and you can't see dick). Tuning by ear is never an option - the rest of the band and the audience don't wanna hear that!

I personally don't really like the look of an active DTR in a rig when being played - looks too much like Star Trek lights. Plus the mute on the TU2 rocks - great for tight stops in songs.

13. Go with the TU-2
    its cheaper (as far as i know)
    it quickly tunes even to B
    looks like you have more effects so you can impress idiots at clubs
    doesnt take up much space on your board
    can power other pedals
    built like a brick
    can easily mute your signal without having to go to your rig and fine the button
    and it tunes damn well with ease.
    buy it
    now

go

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    What's the bypass for? Is it a real bypass or a typical Boss one?

15. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    putting your line out through "output" mutes the sound when pressed (tuning), putting it through "bypass" does not so the audience can hear you tune :) .

The TU-2 is not true bypass, but it doesn't really color the sound too much. I have mine in a separate effects loop with a true bypass box anyway.

-KB

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, since you have an extra rack space, i'd say get the dtr-1 (which it seems you are doing). i can tune the low F# on my basses with this unit, it's easy to see, accepts multiple inputs, has a mute function, as well as a switching function - one of the guitarists in my band uses the swithing function to switch between instruments without replugging - and is pretty reliable - we've both had ours for a long time with no issues or problems.

17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have a DTR-1 and it works great. It tunes my low B fine and is incredibly easy to see.

As for the muting debate, my DTR-1 has a footswitchable mute. Some amps have a mute themselves which let you tune while muted. In my rig I use the footswitchable effects loop as a mute by plugging a 1/4" plug into the return, so when the loop is on there is no signal going to the amp.

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I voted for the Korg DTR-2, though I actually prefer the DTR-1. See JT's response for my reasoning.

I'll say this, though: it's the fastest tracking I've experienced in a tuner.:D

19. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    go for the DTR1. I think it tracks better. The other handheld types just don't get it right on. Most studios use the DTR1. if you're going to spend the money on a rack mount tuner, better get the DTR1.

Had to tune with a DTR1 in the recording studio because my Korg had held (GT? Cost $80.00) wasn't totally on.

20. greyspider

greyspider

Jan 11, 2014
    Why on Earth would any player rather have to turn around to tune, when you can tune from the normal position- looking forward at the audience!!! The BOSS TU-2 or 3 (3 has brighter LED's which works even in daylight- try THAT with your rack tuners :) NO CONTEST- a good pedal tuner is best.