Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If YOU had to choose between.......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rdnzl@comcast.n, Oct 31, 2005.

1. rdnzl@comcast.n

rdnzl@comcast.n

Oct 30, 2005
    WA
    If you had to choose between these basses:

Fender Geddy Lee

Fender US Special Highway One J bass

Ibanez SRX700

Fender Aerodyne

Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass

What would YOU choose, and why?

Also, any reason I should NOT consider any of the above?

I am at the beginner level, and would like to try many styles of music.

I'd like something releatively easy to play, and something I wouldn't want or need to upgrade for quite some time.

These are all in my general price range.......

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

R

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The fender geddy lee is a great choice. Itll last you forever.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sing with me now, "One of these things is not like the other..."

I would say the Geddy Lee, though it's a close call between that and the Highway One jazz bass. If you have the opportunity to try them out, compare the two as much as you can. The Highway One basses are excellent, especially if you can find one of the "good ones".

Play as many of them as you can, if not all of them, and pick the one that "feels" right to you.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It'd be the Geddy Lee for me. I love Jazz basses and the pickup position makes it much much sweeter for me.

5. ibanez srx700....what can i say? i have a soft spot for ibanez soundgears

6. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The Geddy Lee. Too bad it isn't a 5-string. Yow.

7. rdnzl@comcast.n

rdnzl@comcast.n

Oct 30, 2005
    WA
    What would make this a better choice, in your opinion?

I'm going in, with the Geddy Lee as my first choice....but I don't want any second thoughts after I bring one home.

8. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I recommend the geddy lee.

thin neck/easy to play
    nice styling
    easily modifiable for pickups/preamp etc
    good japanese quality
    classic jazz bass tone

i could keep going

love it!

9. well although im a jazz bass freak, none of the jazz's you mentioned had ash bodies, and im a total ash body freak, where as the srx700, being a great bass in its own right, is an ash bodied, neck through tone machine..plus i really dislike fenders active circuit

10. The Geddy Lee is all passive, all the time. No need to worry about any preamps here.

11. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    srx 700. close enough to a G&L for me to like it, or the geddy leee or aerodyne, all of the basses you mentioned have their own place and sound.

12. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I would go with the Geddy Lee or Aerodyne. I love the necks on both. In fact, that may be my next bass decision...

13. I'd say Geddy Lee or HWY1 jazz. With the Geddy's, they all seem to be pretty good, but with HWY1 jazzes, they can be a little hit and miss. I played a HWY1 that was very inpressive for its price. The Geddy neck is where it's at though.

14. i know that, but its alder body...ugggg

if you are set on a jazz, dont just focus on fender, some people are gonna hate me for saying this, but dont rule out the KSD's..one of the best jazz basses ive played

15. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Exaclty i love the geddy.

16. I have the Geddy. I love it! Great sound, easy and comfortable to play, looks cool.

17. rdnzl@comcast.n

rdnzl@comcast.n

Oct 30, 2005
    WA
    I'm going to GC tomorrow, and I'll try them out.

Hopefully they will have at least one of each!

I have read that the Badass II bridge on the Geddy, is superior. Is that so?

18. My recommedation is that you go into as many guitar shops as it takes to play on as many of the basses on your list and find the one that you can't do without. Then come back and tell us why... ;)

I'd hate to recomment one to you and have you take it home and hate it. Couldn't stand the guilt!!! :bag:

Truthfully, you're the only one that it needs to fit; You'll never know until you play some.

19. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I think the Geddy is the best bass on your list. I like the Geddy better than even the Fender custom shopjjazz bass, if that is any indication. Plus if you look at it from a bang for buck comparison, you cant go wrong.

20. Yeah the BA2 bridge is better than the MIM Jazz bridge. Big and heavy for a nice sustain and tone.