1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you had to choose one amp... Mesa D800+, Genzler 800 and the Aguilar AG700...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassworship1, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Mesa D800+

41.7%
  2. Genzler 800

25.0%
  3. Aguilar AG700

33.3%
  1. Bassworship1

Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    After trying many different class D amps I've decided my favorite 2 amps are the Genzler 800 and the Mesa D800+. However I love the Aguilar preamps and have loved them in my basses. This has me interested in hearing from users who have tried these amps and see what they have similar and differences. What is the best bang for the buck?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Sanchan likes this.
  2. I'd be very interested to hear all of your comments as well- these are my exact 3 choices when I need to upgrade.

3. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    These amps make a good short list.

I've owned the previous versions. I had a GB STL 9.2 liked it but sold it. I had an MB D800 liked it but sold it. The amp I didn't sell is the Aguilar TH500.

I've had 2 ex TH500 users tell me that they really like the move to the AG700. So currently the AG700 is top of my list of interest, but in reality I'll probably still be playing my TH500 in 5 years time.

Jeff Scott, dpaulb and campbems like this.
  4. Bassworship1

Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Well after owning and gigging all three of the Mesa d800+, Genzler 800, and now the Aguilar AG700 I have to say The Aguilar is the best bass tone I've had running through my Genzler BA210-3 Arrays. The DI out is great too and really puts out a solid house signal. The low end on this amp is massive and not muddy while the mids and highs are crisp and clear. Punches you right in the gut lol.

lpbfender and phillipkregg like this.
  5. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I haven't tried any of those amps. I really like the TH500 but I think I prefer the Tecamp Puma 900. I'd love to try the Mesa and the Genzler.

campbems likes this.
  6. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I'm currently looking at upgrading my rig and walked into a music store the other day and tried out an Aguilar AG700 into an Aguilar SL 410 cab and my god...

It was the best tone I've ever heard. Like 4 or 5 people were randomly walking up to me and asking "what bass is that?" and I said it's not the bass, it's the amp.

And I tried it with a $3000 Sadowsky, and then with a $300 Squier and the tone was amazing on both. I really love the power and the small footprint of the Mesa D800 series, but I can't imagine anything sounding better than that Aguilar rig. Wish I could try out a Mesa to be sure but no one carries them around here.

7. lpbfender

lpbfender

Jan 7, 2012
    Stamford CT
    Went through the same selections and wound up with the Aguilar 700 - powering a Barefaced Big Twin 2. Couldn't be happier.. it handles three different types of basses, plus a Reverend Airwave 12 string guitar (through Atomic Amplifirebox pre)

phillipkregg likes this.
  8. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    That's really interesting because I LOVE the super tiny footprint of the Barefaced cabs - and their power handling capabilities. I've considered getting a couple of Super Midgets made because it would be so easy to carry around downtown Nashville for gigs.

Do you find that the Barefaced cab reproduces the same tone of the AG700 that the Aguilar Cabs do? I'm really not sure if the tone was coming from the amp, the cabs, or a combination of the 2.

If I can get that same tone through smaller, more powerful cabs, then that's definitely what I would go for.

9. Bassworship1

Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I’ve actually went with all Genzler products as they just produce every place I’ve gigged over anything Else I’ve owned and tried. The Aguilar AG700 would be a close 2nd but the Genzler Array cabs are phenomenal.

10. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I own and use several amps but the AG700 is my favorite for electric bass. Killer tone and plenty of power.

jeff7bass likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021