Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If you had to choose ONE....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KPO2000, Sep 27, 2001.

1. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    I posted this question elsewhere, but I'd like to get as many different views as possible.

If money was not an issue and condition of both were comparable and you HAD to choose ONE of the following to be your sole player, which would it be...

a '77 MM Stingray or a '63 Fender Jazz Bass

...and why?

Interested in your thoughts.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you're sure it's pre-CBS and mint, the Precis...in my sleep!!! Very versatile bass that continues to become worth even more of a fortune every year.

If it's been modded to death, I'd go for the Ray, even though it's not as versatile as the Precis, IMO.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Rick, he said Jazz, not Precision.;)

KPO2000, first I want to say welcome to Talkbass.:)

Now, if I had to make that choice, and the Jazz had not been modified, I would take the Jazz in a heartbeat. Pre CBS Jazz, that would be probably the 4 string that I would want most, if money were no object.

The main reason that I would take the Jazz is because I am a Jazz man at heart. The tone and the look of the Jazz is what I always lean towards. I love my Peavey Cirrus, but if I had to choose between it and a pre CBS Jazz, the Cirrus would be gone. My Zon, it would be a tough choice, but I would probably keep the Jazz, although to my ears, it is capable of the Jaco Jazz bridge pickup soloed fretless tone that a lot of fretlesses don't quite get. And the main reason that I bought my Pedulla Rapture J2 5 is because it is like a great Jazz bass, but with the addition of a great B string, a preamp and quiet pickups.

Another thing, pre Ernie Ball Stingrays are nice, but Ernie Ball is making the new ones pretty dang close to the early ones. IMHO, Fender has not yet made a Jazz that equals the 1960-64(including post CBS basses made with Pre CBS parts) models.

If I were a Stingray man, I might see things a little differently.

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I agree, a '63 Jazz would easily eclipse any stock 4 I've ever owned. The Ray might be of interest to me if I didn't have to choose between that and the Jazz, but otherwise, the Ray wouldn't get as much as a 2nd glance from me.

As far as why, it's because I would take a good Jazz over a good Ray anyday, but that's just me.

I do have one question though, how's the G string around the 'notorious' frets? Does it have the dead notes common to most Jazz basses?

5. Yep.. i go for the Jazbass too, because it's just a kick-assssss instrument. nice tone, devine shape.. that's the one :)

Uhm.. define " notorious frets " ?? i've got a MIM J, and haven't found any dead spots so far..

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Frets 4-6 on the G string of a Jazz can have noticeably less sustain and impact. These are the notorious frets to which I referred.

YMMV, hence why I said most, not all. My personal experience though has been that most Jazzes exhibit this little quirk.

I still love them though, they are so sexy!

7. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Thanks for the welcome. It's good to be here!

8. rickbass

WHOOPSIEDAISY!!!
    Thanks Jeff!!!

Okay, a solid vintage Jazz doesn't command the price of a comparable Precision. Still, a Jazz with all the original essential parts would be the one to get. Doesn't matter how beat up it is as long as someone didn't paint it aqua.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, yeah, welcome to the playground.

i'd take the jazz in a minute - higher resale value i'd unload it on some "collector" and buy a few _real_ ;) basses - i could get at least a coupla custom conklins with the proceeds.

:eek: here, fishee fishee fishee

:D ;)

10. Hey welcome, I like to be a trend setter. did anyone say Jazz yet?

11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    If you gave me a third choice...

I'd probably get...

the '63 Jazz.;)

or maybe the '63 Jazz:confused:

12. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    The '63 Jazz without a doubt, if it's stock with no mods. That would be a pre-CBS Jazz. Not only for it's sweet tone, but for it's inherent investment value.

13. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hey guys,

What do you mean with: "pre-CBS"?????

:confused: :confused:

14. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Pre-CBS = generally before 1966 or so. Though CBS purchased Fender in the beginning of '65, it was nearly another whole year or so before the basses underwent a transformation.

The sound, build quality, and feel of the pre-CBS Fenders were superior to the basses that followed in the years after CBS took the reigns. So it's not just the sheer collectibility of these (pre-CBS) basses that makes them valuable, but a tangible difference in feel and sound when compared to the mass produced Fenders of the post-CBS era. That's why any pre-CBS Fender, even ones in bad shape, can command lofty prices in the market.

I should add that all the above applies to an instrument from the 50's, but even MORE so.

15. rickbass

In Jan/Feb of 1965, CBS bought Fender. The CBS-owned era is associated with a decline in the quality and sound of Fenders as CBS changed how they were made to more of a mass production,how many can we make in 5 minutes?, operation. Almost all of the good craftspeople who worked under Leo's ownership left the company.

A '63 Jazz is a solid investment though for this reason: Even before CBS formally acquired the company, the decline of Fender instruments was already beginning some time in '64. So, a "pre-CBS" Fender can exhibit some of the characteristics that Fender purists knock the CBS era for. A true `63 instrument would erase any doubt that it is a true, "Leo Fender", Fender.

16. four letters:

J

A

Z

Z

!

17. rickbass

So no one gets too confused between what seamus says about when the quality went downhill and when I did, I base my info on what this collector says about Fenders http://www.provide.net/~cfh/

I've found him accurate in the past on things I know from personal experience.

This stuff can be a lot like strings though -i.e. highly debatable. I'm not hung up on a few months.

18. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah, I agree on not being able to exactly place when the quality went downhill. My last post was more of what I think a Fender purist's perspective would be. I've only had a chance to play a pre-CBS two times, but I must confess I did perceive a different feel and heft to them. They also exhibit a certain sweetness in sound not to be found on a new Fender these days. No doubt the aging of the wood is also a major contributor here as well.

I guess the short answer to the original question might be, pre CBS = before '65 when CBS acquired Fender. That's the literal answer. The issue of a decline in workmanship and materials is no doubt open to debate.

19. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

oh, put me down for the jazz...

NNNOOOTTT!!!! :eek:

a music man stingray, is the most funkalicious stringbat i've ever held in my clamps... and i'd trade 10 j bats for one "hunk - a - mad crazy hot burnin FUNK!!!!"

10 pounds of pure guts...

:cool:

ok, you guys can all tell me i'm stupid now. seriously - I BEG YOU!!! I"LL JUST LAUGH!!!!!!

20. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I would also personally go with the Stingray...call me crazy...

Well, please don't!!

:D