Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If you had to give up one of your five senses, which one would you choose?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Sight

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Hearing

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. Touch

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. Smell

61 vote(s)
    60.4%
  5. Taste

21 vote(s)
    20.8%
  6. Irony

12 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I chose not to participate in the "cancer vs. heart attack" thread, but I think this might be interesting.

I chose my sense of smell even though not having it would have an effect on my sense of taste.

How about you?

and "carrots" is not one of the five senses. That's why it's not on the poll.

2. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    I think that blindness causes one to view life from a totally different perspective. I don't think things should be judged on how the look, and hate it when I do it... So I choose blindness.

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I agree with sweetpea. I think I could deal without sight. I need taste for obviously food. Hearing is for music, which I couldn't live without. Touch so I can feel my bass or my tuba, know where to put my fingers, know how to make the music that makes me happy. Smell because it is the biggest memory trigger, bigger even than sight.

Although I could never appreciate the beauties of the world, I couldn't deal without any of the other things. Sound is the last thing I'd ever give up, because it is the only thing that everyone across the world can understand.

And as sweetpea said, not seeing would make everyting different. Everything would be taken for what it's worth, not what it looks like it's worth.

I don't know who said it, but it is something to this effect:

"The only way to see things clearly is to close your eyes"

Or something like that.

4. Taste. I need hearing for bass, obviously. I also work out religiously, with bodybuilding as a goal, so I need to see for that; bodybuilding is a visual sport. I also need to be able to feel for working out. Taste I could do without, it'd make tuna, flax oil, and egg whites all taste a lot better. And more importantly, it'd make burgers, hot dogs, pizza, etc., a lot less tempting.

5. Ok, I wan't you to do something for me sweetpea. Sit down, and just look at something, anything, your hand, a tree, a painting, anything. Now look at it, just try and see it. Isn't it amazing? That we can actually see this? To be able to witness such beauty and color, the textures, the way it moves, the vastness of all this... now imagine NEVER EVER seeing such beautious things again. I simply could not survive. I don't think you could either.

6. Now open them again.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My sixth sense. I'm so sick and goddam tired of seeing dead people.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Jazzbo, you made me choke on my chickpeas :D

Being legally blind myself, and having worked with blind teachers and people for half of my life, I would most definately not choose that to be the sense I would give up. It is the most life-imparing one, besides touch; then again, you can't really lose your sense of touch because you'd pretty much die without it (the only way you can really lose touch is if you spend too much time here at TalkBass). Deaf- you can still operate fairly easily; if you learn to read lips you can converse without too much difficulty. Taste- nah, I love food too much. And irony? Not my generation man, no way.

So I'd lose my sense of smell. It's the least important to me, it's possible to only affect your taste to a certain degree, and it would be the perfect excuse for any future personal hygeine problems.

9. Legally blind? So can you still see with contacts or glasses? What's it like when you take them off?

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Darkness! HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE DARKNESS!!!!

Actually, it doesn't quite work like in Scooby Doo, where Velma because a useless, sightless invalid as soon as she lost her glasses. BTW, not that this is a pro-Fieldy comment or anything, but remember that Halloween episode of South Park when Korn was on, and Fieldy did the Velma schtick and went blind when his glasses fell off? Best episode ever!

Anywho, I've got a very high prescription for my glasses (I can wear contacts, but they don't work quite as well and I still need reading glasses with them), and when I take them off, things just become a lot less focused and distinct. If you squint your eyes, objects become blurred and shapes and values start to merge. That's sort of what it's like for me, I guess anyway. I've yet to try someone else's eyes to see what other people see.

ak56 likes this.
  11. Thank god for glasses. My prescription is something like 20/250, and I couldn't imagine life without being able to see...

12. Hmm...I'd have to say smell. Then would be my sense of humor. :D

On eyesight, I have better than 20/20 vision in my left eye. But when I was a teenager...I needed glasses to see the chalkboard! I kept getting headaches. As I got older, I guess my eyes reshaped.

13. i'd have a hard time dealing with any of those. i think losing the ability to speak would be OK though. it would keep me out of trouble.

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'd opt to lose "common sense" because I could go back on tour like the old days.

15. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Smell.

16. I would give up my sense of touch so things wouldn't hurt so much. But then I couldn't feel anything good, or ruin any of my personal items with... er... I have changed it to my sense of irony so I can be ignorent and easily amused.

17. But it takes all of your sense to truely appreciate carrots... even humor and irony thanks to john boy.

18. I think anyone who chooses hearing shouldn't be on this site to begin with! :)

I chose smell. Interestingly enough, three years ago, I mysteriously lost my sense of smell for a three-week period. I had allergies in that summer and I started to lose my sense of smell, which was a normal thing considering I had allergies. My allergies eventually cleared up though, but I began to notice that I wasn't really able to smell. So I began testing my sense of smell by trying to sniff shampoo bottles, cologne, air freshner, anything with a strong odor you name it. I realized that my sense of smell was completely gone! During this time, my appetite also diminished greatly. I just never became hungry or craved any foods. I didn't really panic at the time, even though I probably should have. But then, after about three weeks or so, I noticed that my sense of smell began to come back. At first it came back very faintly and gradually became normal.

My sense of smell is back to normal now and I haven't experienced anything like this since. I still can't figure out what caused me to lose it in the first place. I've heard of people losing their sense of smell as a result of a head injury. I experienced no such thing. My sense of smell just disappeared and came back for no apparent reason. No one I've ever talked to has heard about anything like that. Weird huh?

19. smell

20. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    i chose hearing...

im not really sure why......
    maybe its the bethoven(sp) thing? always wanted to try that out....