1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you had to give up one of your five senses, which one would you choose?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Sight

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Hearing

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. Touch

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. Smell

61 vote(s)
    60.4%
  5. Taste

21 vote(s)
    20.8%
  6. Irony

12 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    If I chose to lose smell it would take most of taste with it. So...taste.

When I was 12 I got hit in the head with a baseball, right between the temple and the eye. I was fine for a while but, soon everything started to get dark. I was totally blind for 20 min. Believe me, it was no party. My sight came back more gradually than it left, and that was the end of that.

2. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Losing your sense of irony would be more or less fine... I mean most people ARE ignorant and ARE easily amused! So basically I'd become "average" which would kinda suck... but what would you rather be, blind/deaf or dumb?

But if you call a person who has no sense of taste "tasteless" that would be OK too:D

3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Hahahahaha, good one! I agree, it does get kinda creepy:D

4. DanMax

DanMax

Mar 13, 2016
    I would give up the ability to telepathically communicate with space aliens.

Although it is handy to be able to volunteer other people to be "probed."

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I've already lost my sense of smell, it runs in my family.

6. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Taste. Then I wouldn't like unhealthy food so much.

7. I play bass, so obviously fashion sense is of least importance to me.

8. Smell, my co-workers fart way too much.

9. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I understand this can negatively impact appetite. True in your case?

10. Hearing. I've heard enough. But I haven't tasted everything yet...

11. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I live and work in the NYC area. And if I never had to smell the fetid stench of the New York City Subway system, the rank odor of hot garbage juice, or the rampant scent of urine from people to lazy to find a proper toilet, I think I could deal with the loss of my sense of smell.

12. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    No, it makes me more cautious of keeping my refrigerator clean though. I can't tell if something has turned by smell, I have to rely on sight so I don't let leftovers build up. It also impacted my career as an electrician, I couldn't smell bad contacts, rotors or ozone traces.

Jah Wobble Fan likes this.
  13. Smell for sure. I have had sinus issues off and on for years anyway so I have trouble smelling things sometimes anyway. I could easily function without my sense of smell. Sight would be the last one I would want to loose!

14. Sight and hearing are the only two I consider life changing disabilities, so between smell, taste, and hearing I would choose smell. I listen to music every day. Tasting delicious food is one of life's greatest gifts. Typically the only time I notice a smell is when its a bad one. And I would live like a king on all my cheap garbage dump-adjacent acreage.

But more importantly, where the hell do you people find these threads?! 14 years man!

Immigrant likes this.
  15. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Starting to make more senseā€¦ :) Fifteen more - Good Golly! I'd hate to lose any of the fantastic five. But I could surely do without one of the others in particular - the perception of pain, but only every now-and-again.

Jah Wobble Fan likes this.
  16. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Interesting detail about your on-the-job use of smell. All the little things we take for granted until we lose them...

Tom Bomb likes this.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Suspended Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Taste. Easy.

I have children and a woman I am madly in love with.

I can't imagine not seeing their smiles.

I can't imagine not hearing their laughter. I can't imagine not hearing music.

I can't imagine not smelling my wife on date night. I can't imagine not smelling honeysuckle on the breeze that currently fills the air in my neighborhood. I can't imagine not smelling the ocean.

I can't imagine not feeling their skin. I can't imagine not feeling water on my skin. I can't imagine not feeling my daughters' hand grabbing mine.

Without taste I could let go of this obsession we all have with food. I could eat whatever my body needed and nothing else.

Yeah. Easy choice for me. Taste every time.

18. I'm glad I didn't belong back in '02. My sense of self-worth was pretty low back then. Slightly lower than now, but now I'm realistic.

19. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I want to loose the ability to see zombies and zombie threads.