1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you had to sell all your basses tomorrow except one...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Which one would you keep? You can only keep one and you are booked up with gigs for the next 6 months.

I don't have a Sadowsky yet, so I would keep my Ric 4003 and probably kick myself for not keeping a Precision.

Skel

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Steinberger XL-2.

Not my main bass, but not easily replaced either. It's outrageously comfy, terrific sounding, tough as nails, maintenance-free, and in damn near mint condition. I'll NEVER sell it. In terms of overall quality, it's way ahead of my others.

Then I'd buy more basses.:D

BTW, Skel, when you posted this topic, it was your post number 666. That's freaky. Keep a close eye on your basses for a little while. :eek:

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    It is now!

4. BartmanPDX

I could go back to four strings. It's not hard as it's all I played for the last 17 years. I just couldn't give my Steinie up, that's all -- the others are really nice, and I play them more often, but if my house were on fire, and I could only grab one bass (along with my child), it would be the Steinberger that I picked up and ran out with.

5. RoMeRz

RoMeRz

Feb 13, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Id grab me Peavey int series - as it was my first "good" bass and I love it soo.

Why do people like those Steinberger's so much. Think they look ugh :x

6. ouch thats tough, I gotta say my six string

7. BartmanPDX

Looks have very little to do with it. Every bass player I've encountered who has played my XL-2 has been blown away by the tone and feel of the instrument. On my list of important qualities in a bass, looks rank down the list, after tone, playability/feel, and construction quality. And I think it looks fine, personally.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My Marcus Miller Jazz... or my Sadowsky RV4 when I get it in a few years :p

9. I would keep my Gretsch. A relatively easy decision because it is my first bass, best sounding bass, most comfortable, best looking bass, and it rules. I only have two basses currently, so I would lose a crappy Fender jazz knockoff that I defretted. I only bought it because it was $20, and for that price I can overlook the shape, not so great tone, and feel. A good backup/experimental bass. But I'd sell it.

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

My Sadowsky NYC

Rob

Attached Files:

11. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    My MIA P-Bass.

[​IMG]

But I have a J on the way...

12. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea but I'm hearing all these "when" and "on the way" - I mean you have to pick one that you have right now, and go make a living with this instrument - I don't care if it was your first one and it's super rare - Ok - let's throw this in - you are taking this one bass on tour to play with Steely Dan and their opening act is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and you play bass with them too.

13. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    That's the best reason you could come up with?

And also, half way through the tour, Tom Petty's gonna drop off, and be replaced by an "Earth, Wind, and Fire" reunion. You play bass for them now, as well as Steely Dan. I hope your bass is versatile.

Skel

14. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    My original Tobias Signature Six (serial 950), no doubt in my mind...and oh yeah, and I even have an original L2 all-carbon Steiney...but the Toby is the keeper. Irreplaceable.

15. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    This Lakland JO/Jazz bass...........This is a Sweet Ride! Warm, Articulate,Even,Classic Tone that never seem unappropriate:bassist:

DSCN2124.

16. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    My Warmoth Dinky P Jazz 4.

Thanks Nino, I still can't believe this thing.

17. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    American Jazz V :cool:

18. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    The ironic part about some of these posts is...it's not your main bass, but when playing for money - this is the one you would take. I thought your main bass would be the one you would take - it just seems logical.

19. My SR5 :cool:

20. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I'd sell my Cort Artisan A5 and my Fernendes P-Bass, keeping my 1979 Kramer 650b Artist Series, simply because its a rarer bass in fantastic condition, and I promised the guy I bought it off that I wouldn't sell it :p

It sounds wonderful too, so its not going anywhere.