If you had your choice: Warmoth or Roscoe 6?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Feb 1, 2005.

Which would you choose?

Poll closed Mar 3, 2005.
  1. Warmoth 6 String:

15 vote(s)
  2. Roscoe 6 String:

39 vote(s)
  3. Something other:

29 vote(s)
  1. If you had your choice, which option would you choose:

New 6 string Warmoth, Wenge neck and finger board, Black Korina body, Bartolini pickups and pre amp. Cost, whatever that would be[mentioned, along with all the necessary hardware].

A 6 string Roscoe in new condition with a transluscent dark blue/purple body and the two tone fret board. $2,200.

Something other.

Thanks! :)
  2. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    An instrument should start with a sound or tone in mind IMO. If it is purple is way down the list of issues when it sounds bad with your amp, does not fit your style of play.

Both Warmoth and Roscoes depreciate a lot on resale, so the Roscoe should be at least $1,000 less than it would cost new from a dealer. The $2,200 price for the Roscoe sounds high, as I was looking at Roscoe fretlesses before going with a Pedulla and the totally decked out Roscoe was $2,900 new w/ case.

A used Warmoth drops about 70% in value from your cost to build, so you have to want to keep it, so you should again have a firm idea on its tone before you begin.

If you do not have a tone in mind, play as many basses as you can and note what they are made of, type of pups, scale length, etc... so you are armed with a list of your preferences.
  3. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I love the Roscoe look.
  4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've owned a really nice Gecko and still own my Roscoe LG. I realize since Warmoth doesn't sell finished guitars, the finished product can vary very widely, but still. On a related note, the Roscoe will hold more value on resale if that matters to ya.
  5. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2005
    C470, CO
    Check out the Dingwall 6 string. Plays great, awesome variation of tone and many price points to choose from.

I had a custom made Afterburner with all the options and colors of my choosing and came in under $2000 with HS case.

6. Nice suggestion! Do you have a web page link for the Dingwall?

Also, if you have a "Something other", a web page would be great!

Keep in mind the price of the Roscoe and cost of a Warmoth build. Thanks!!

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I currently own two Gecko 5's and one Roscoe LG 3005. I'll state right off that if I could only own one bass it would be a Roscoe. That said, the Gecko's are great bass too. Just how great they are depends on what P/U's, electronics and hardware you use and how competent the individual is that performs the finishing and assembly of the instrument. As others have stated, the resale on the Gecko would probably not be good. I think maybe a 40-50% depreciation value would be realistic. Although I will say that I've sold a couple of the Warmoth Jazz's that I put together and actually made some $$$'s. But they were to individuals that had the opportunity to see, play and hear the bass in person (not online deals). Bottom line, if you make a Gecko, plan on keeping it. On the other hand, the Roscoe is IMO the best deal in handmade basses out there. Yes, if you buy new you will lose some money when you sale. But that's true on just about any bass you buy new. You can find a used Roscoe SKB 3006 for $1,700-1,800. If you buy used at that price you won't lose a dime if you decide to sale later.
    Find a used Roscoe SKB-3006 for around $1,700 and use the rest of the cash to start your Gecko 6! :bassist:
  8. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    Seems like an odd comparison...

I'd take the building skills of the folks at the Roscoe shop over my own any day. :)
  9. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I'd go with a used Warwick. Either a Thumb 6 for around $1100 +/-, a Corvette standard 6 for around $1000, or some other Warwick 6, though the 2 mentioned are easier to find than others.

And both of these will hold their used value very well.

I have a Thumb Bolt-On 6 with a wenge neck and fretboard, brass nut, Seymour Duncan basslines pickups, and schaller straplocks. At first I was going to sell it because it's on the heavy side and a little unbalanced, but I got used to the weight and after getting the hang of the balance, it's not bad at all.

I also had an Ibanez Soundgear SR406 from around 98 and it was a fantastic bass. They can be had used for around $350 or so with a hard case. The newer ones are bunk, but the ones from around 98/99 are well-constructed, have excellent pickups and electronics, and the necks were much nicer than the newer ones. They are distinguishable from the newer ones because mine had black hardware and the newer ones all have chrome. I only sold mine because I got into Warwicks so much. I shouldn't have sold it.

If you're looking for a quality 6, don't automatically assume it needs to be expensive. I'd take my old Ibanez over most other 6-strings I've played, including a few Yamahas (especially the John Myung bass... ick) and a $3500 Tobias. And I would almost definitely take it over a Warmoth (nothing against Warmoth, just that I wouldn't necessarily trust the workmanship of whoever built it).

Like I said, I'd get a Warwick and save the money you'd be saving for a rainy day. Or, buy 2. :) But don't overlook the Ibanez I mentioned. It's worth a look. For $350, you can't afford NOT to check one out.

10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Roscoe, definitelly.
  11. A fair question. I put together a 5 string fretless Gecko a couple of years ago and it turned out GREAT. In fact, I was at a music store a couple of weeks ago and played a Warwick fretless 5 string, and I prefered MY Gecko FAR more than the Warwick! Maybe it was the MM style Bartolini resting in the body of my Gecko, but the Warwick did not sound as good.

All that to say, I've built a good Warmoth already. Part of me wonders if I should do it again, it was just SUCH a pain in the but [because I made my own body, it wasn't a body from Warmoth]. The Roscoe belongs to a friend of mine [has two CDs out, working on the third] and it is just sitting at his house unplayed. I bet the new ones hangning in Roscoe dealer music shops have seen more play time than this one.

Just a little more info for your poll decision. :)
  12. Some nice looking basses on the Dingwall site. Thanks for the link!! :)

I [of course] would have to play one of them, because of the odd fret lines they use, before making any decision on that design. Again, very nice looking basses! :)
  13. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    While I am a big fan of the Warmoth stuff, I would have to go with the Roscoe. For me it would be a simple decision as to resale. If I wanted to get out of the 6'er one way or another, what whould I be able to get? I really am a big fan of the Warmoth stuff (I have 2 of them), but the Roscoe is a very cool instrument.
  14. Dave-
    Dingwall basses
    I do recommend you play one, however they are fairly hard-to-find. Most online places have a 48hr test period, it just cost you shipping.
    Don't worry about the odd fretlines on a Dingwall, they only look odd, you will not find any difference in playing it. What you will find is a 37" B string that just kills and even string-to-string and note-to note consistancy. Their resale value is also very good
    That used ABII on basscentrals website is very affordable
  15. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Roscoe, Roscoe, Roscoe, Roscoe, Roscoe!

Did I mention Roscoe?

I love my SKB-3006. Tried Modulus, Zon, Warwick, MTD, Fodera, Yamaha, and a few others that don't come to mind right now, and I got the Roscoe!
  16. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I almost said the exact same thing, but then I thought that, for that exact reason, I wouldn't be doing it myself anyway. Simple truth is, I'm not good enough for me. :)

If you're a little diligent about finding the right one, there's lotsa' great luthiers who'll happily take on a Warmoth project and make it a darn great bass.

So, to be "fair", I basically pretended the Warmoth was finished at Lakland's shop (for example) and then formulated an opinion, which basically boiled down to one simple thing... value.

Since the builder is "unknown" vs "known", which is not going to change, IMHO, it's more or less a permanent downside to the Warmoth (vs the Roscoe or another like a Roscoe).