1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

If you have a jazz bass, is there a need for anything else?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbailes, Aug 3, 2012.

1. jbailes

jbailes

Apr 5, 2012
    Hello all,

My bass collection consists of 2 Fender MIM jazzes and that's it. One is the special run deluxe active, which I call Marcus Jr and is a total funk machine. The other is an MIM standard with new nordstrands and a BAII bridge. Great all-around bass. I have no intentions of getting rid of either of these.
    As a non-pro bassist, would there really be a need for anything else? I've been eyeballing some new mahogany bodied Ibanezes with 24 frets, and maybe even the Sterling Ray 34. But aside from the extended range of the Ibanez, would there even be a need to get something else in terms of different tones, more versatility, better playabilty, etc.
    Like most, I'm kinda scraping my way through life and this is just a hobby, so throwing away hard-earned money isn't really an option. Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    A need, no.
    A "need", yes.
    :D

3. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Yes .

4. I need my P-bass. My Jazz is just a nice bonus.

5. I've bought and sold a lot of basses, but I still have my first bass (actually I sold it to a TB member who later agree to sell it back).. a 15-year old MIJ Jazz. I still play it 95+% of the time.

I don't play it for sentimental or nostalgic reasons - I play it because it sounds good, is versatile and I enjoy it. I spent a lot of money to find out that I already had what I enjoyed most.

If you feel like you can do without, you probably can.

6. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Personally I like having 21 frets to work with versus 20.

7. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    ^^^this. My active jazz is for the pop and sizzle, the P bass has the flats to thump in the groove.

8. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    @ mophead
    Yeah I've got (and have gotten in the past) plenty of Jazz basses, and sometimes I felt the need for a little Precision imprinting...

Like this: a P split pickup (right... and the Fender Reggie Hamilton is a keeper...);

A P neck: and my maybe best surprising jazz bass is an old Squier Vintage Modified '70s on which I put (different pickups, chrome plate, stringholder and jack input apart) a replacement
    American Deluxe Precision maple fingerboard 21 fret neck man IT kills!

@ jbailes
    look at my profile:
    what more than a jazz bass? More jazz basses... and I'm a hobbyist too my friend

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    When it all comes down to it, all I really need is a good Jazz bass. Covers Average White Band to Zeppelin.

10. No. All you NEED is one bass. That's a necessity. Everything else is a bonus!

11. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    +1

12. Zanderwestcoast

Zanderwestcoast Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Victoria, BC Canada
    A jazz bass is a very versatile instrument that in the right hands can be suitable for a broad range of musical styles. For you, this may be all you need.

Having said this when it comes to the creative process of writing music or recording music, it can be nice to have a few different options or "voices" to call on should they be more suitable than just a jazz bass.

Generally speaking, there are 3 basses that are often considered "must have" basses for ones collection due to there proven track record, and sheer number of recordings and live performances used. Fender Jazz, Fender Precision, and Musicman Stingray. There are some other notable classics worth mentioning but nothing quite like these three. Particularly the Jazz and Precision.

13. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    YES!
    I've owned 2 Fender JAzz basses in my day. Sold one, and sent the other back to MF. They weren't my old school sound. Also way heavy, and very noisy. Much happier with my SR5's.

14. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you aren't playing in a band, then you really only need one bass.

If you are playing in a band, your "needs" can become greater, but you can get along with two.

I have four basses right now, but I'm getting rid of two of them. I'm keeping a Modern Player Jazz. And then I'm getting a Precision of some sort, because it really does bring the thump in a way that even the Modern Player Jazz with it's humbucking pups can't approach.

The fourth bass, a Jay Turser Beatle bass copy, I gave to my son, who wants to be a bass player too.

15. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    simple answer yes and I'm a JB guy. I play music that requires a 5 string. it's funny but I haven't met a 5 string Jazz yet where I like the B string on it. As far as 4 strings go, no other bass is as fun to play (for me). I am partial however to my Brubaker Brute MJX-5. Awesome bass for the money I paid. with a coil splitter on the MM pickup I can come close to 70's and 60's JB sounds.

16. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I also need a five string for a lot of the music I play. At this point my Fender Jazz (which is a great bass) probably only sees about 5% of my play time per year.

17. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    2006 jazz bass w/S1 and labella flats

sounds like a jazz in parallel
    in series, sounds like a P bass
    you can use a pick or slap it or fingerstyle, its all good.
    you can even get a bit of grind if you dig in.
    if that aint versatile then I dont know what is.
    this bass has turned into my main player for these reasons.

18. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    I thought so until I got my Roscoe Beck IV, now a normal jazz just seems under-powered...

19. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    There's already a myth thread here.:smug:

20. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Yep... ;) It's why I also have a P and an upright and gas all the time for other basses and instruments.