If you have an Avatar...then you need this!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fralim01, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Lots has been said about the price/quality ratio of Avatar speaker products. In order to get the lower prices they had to skimp somewhere and as everyone around here is aware, they skimped on the crossover betweent the horn and the woofers...Gary (LoveThatBass) offered be a solution to that problem. Initially I read his post here:

Crossover discussion

I contacted him about the possibility of him building me one of his 4th order crossovers for my Avatar 2x12 and he agreed to do so. Installation was really simple and he sent easy to follow diagrams. See the pics below...

How does it sound?
    The short answer is excellent! The horn no longer sounds "disconnected" from the rest of the frequencies. The frequency overlap is now seemless. Because of that, there is much more presence in the upper mids where the stock crossover was lacking. Finally, the harshness of the horn has all but disappeared. Like most of you I played witht the horn nearly off because of the harshness. Now it is 3/4 of the way up because it sounds so unobtrusive. This was definately the best mod I could have done to this cabinet. Makes the cab sound so much more expensive :D

If you want to do this to your cab, your should contact Gary for details. Definately well worth it!

Attached Files:

2. BTW..Im not trying to shill here..just really impressed with this mod!
  3. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Is there any way you could post those diagrams or send them to me (you can pm me for my email address)? :smug:
  4. here is the wiring diagram. I hope this is okay to post Gary? It is his drawing so he gets the credit! ok?

Attached Files:

5. OK, so say I know nothing about how to modify a speaker cab, would this mod still be easy for me to figure out? Also, how could I contact Gary (assuming it is OK with him to do so) about one of the crossover thingies?
  6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Check out the thread referenced above. You can PM Gary from there.
  7. Did you add that wood brace and the sound deadener to your 2x12 cab yourself?

8. Nope..both were stock on my cab. Not on yours?
  9. I haven't gotten one but some reviews I've read address issues of there not being enough bracing there, glad to see Dave addressed that problem. I was set to buy one but now I have to pay off a speeding ticket, it seems like life always has its ways of intervening at the last minute.:p
  10. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Can I ask how much you paid for it?
  11. Ask Gary to be sure...It was awhile back now, but it was reasonable
  12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I pm'd him today...he will still make them, and they are reasonable.
  13. jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA

Could you possibly provide a photo of the BACK of the crossover??? I have all the parts to make my own. I just need to see how each piece is wired up. The scematic from the original discussion doesn't take into account the fact that the x-over is BETWEEN the speakon and the L-Pad (x-over pot.) What's getting me is the 4 pole in/out connector. Pos/neg in from the speakon, then what??? Also, the existing resistor (4.7u) and cable from the horn. The white wire that goes to the L-Pad (pot) and the black wire that goes to the 1/4" input....did you remove them?? Also, there is a black jumper wire from the L-pad(pot) to the main 1/4" input. Does this stay, or did you remove it, too?

14. The speakon connector has +1 and +2 tied together. You may connect the Positive (+) to the crossover input to either one.
    It also has the -1 and -2 tied together. You may connect the negative (-) to either one for the crossover input Negative).
    The 4.7uf capacitor is removed and the output of the crossover ties to the tweeter control as shown then the tweeter control goes to the horn.
    I do not have a photo of the back side and framin1 has it installed inside the cab already with no photo of the back side.
    You remove the wires to the tweeter control and connect as shown in framin1's drawing I sent him. In other words the output of the crossover goes to the tweeter control as shown. The input of the crossover ties to one of the + and one of the - on the speakon...you may leave the wires going to the 1/4" connector jack if you wish.

Hope this helps,
  15. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    i know what a crossover does dont fully understand what a "quality" crossover does better then a cheap one. can someone explain this please?

also fralim01 you say you have the horn 3/4 of the way up now. wouldnt there have been an equal setting with the stock crossover? maybe 1/4 of the way up with the stock cross over would be equal to 3/4 way with the modded cross over? thats just an example of what im thinking and is prolly way off. i would just like to understand the benefits of this mod. thanx!
  16. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    From what I understand (and I'm no expert ;) ), a good crossover allows your amp to play lower tones without distorting. So, when fralim01 says that he can now turn his cab up to 3/4, he means that before it would distort at that level. I know there is a much more technical answer, and I'm sure someone else will come along and enlighten us... :p
  17. jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA

Helps indeed! I appreciate your help here!! I'll have these two x-overs done up tomorrow! Have a gig tomorrow night to try one of the cabs out at! Thanks again for ALL of your informtion on this subject!
  18. jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    OK. So here's my last request: As per the original threads' schematic, and this threads' hookup chart and photos, this is what I came up with for wiring this thing together. Can I have someone please review it and let me know if this is indeed per the schematic??? Thanks!! :)

19. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    hmm so maybe there are freqencies going thru the tweeter that shouldnt be? lower frequencies maybe? and the crossover mod only allows the frequencies that the horn can handle hit the horn. sound right? anyone please jump in and confirm this! :smug: