Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If you have ever eaten at Taco Bell, please look

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    It has come to my attention that the Fire sauce at Taco Bell is not what it claims to be. There is nothing Fiery about it. It is a pathetic excuse for a hot sauce. I need you to call 1-800-TACOBELL and tell them a change is in order. I have already done so (I was very polite, as was the customer service representative). Change will only come with widespread involvement. If you don't do it for yourself, please, do it for me.

I am entirely serious.

2. i'm really not much for spicy. but even i use hot sauce when i eat at taco bell. i like it because it's just enough spicy to get noticed. at least for me. i've gotten more into spicy the last couple years, but i'm still a lightweight.

robb.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

An individual's perception and tolerance of Scoville units varies from the next person's.

Having been in the industry, I know these companies invest big bucks a ton of R&D time to find which level of heat will please the most customers.

Often, they will adjust the levels according to regional preferences and that is a distribution nightmare.

4. Although I enjoy Taco Bell, it's really not what you would call 'Authentic Mexican Cuisine.'

:D

5. I agree that the "Fire Sauce" should be labeled as mild, but those of us that really love the hot stuff are in the minority. There are people who will complain that something is "too hot" when someone on the next block happened to open a bottle of Red Hot when their item was prepared. As has been mentioned, they are aiming for that "most of the people" point, as that is where they get their maximized profit level.

What bugs me is the folks who have decided that since we love hot stuff, we can't taste anything. They are the ones that foist things on us like the current version of Rooster's super-killer wings. The originals were great, but a few years ago were changed to a pure chemistry set fake hot sauce that tastes like rancid oil. Hooter's had done the same thing with the 6-mile (an off-the-menu sauce, they usually have it but won't mention it), so I haven't had that is years either. Oh well...

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I keep hot sauce in my desk at work for just these situations. I called anyway.

7. Taco Bell "Fire" sauce is not only a disappointment (I prefer much hotter), it just tastes bad. I go for the "Hot" (even though it is not hot enough by a wide margin) because the flavor is better.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Taco Bell's fire sauce is to salsa what Taco Bell's cuisine is to mexican food.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Just pack your own. I do. I have a little bottle that attaches to my key ring. I put a different sauce in it each time I run out.

-Mike

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Where did you get that?

11. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Speaking of hot sauce, I'm hooked on Blair's After Death sauce. I try to put that stuff on anything I can.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I agree on two fronts: It's not hot/It doesn't taste good.

Strangely the mild/medium taste OK. The fire sause, not so much.

I saw the title of this thread and I was like, "Oh damn, they probably chop up little talking dogs to put in the chalupas.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I don't remember. The brand name on the bottle is "Arizona Gunslinger". I think it may have come with the larger bottle I bought a while back. I'll try and find you one.

-Mike

14. Haha, me too.

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Well, they do use grade D meat...

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I didn't realize people still eat at fast food restaurants.

17. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Of course we do. While its not real mexican food, it's pretty good for about $3.

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I like their mild sauce.... the rest of the sauces just... are to hot.

I'm not a spicy food kinda guy, I guess. But ya, fire sauce isnt that hot, really... just not what i like. *calls*

19. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Just pack your own Habanero's, problem solved.

Change the Fire Sauce, change the engine room.

20. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool. thanks!