1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you have no music room, where does your gear live?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by two fingers, Sep 27, 2013.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! So, I went into my laundry room a minute ago and got a good laugh. My Poor Mesa Walkabout Scout was almost covered in laundry. The laundry chute cabinet from upstairs had spilled over. So, here is this great rig being reduced to a backup catcher for dirty laundry. There it sits..... stuck between the washer and dryer.
    100_5961.

Then, it got me to thinking how my poor Vintage Ampeg rig is reduced to being sandwiched into a space I made in a coat/entertainment closet in my living room. It's stuck in there with a bunch of board games we don't play, coats we rarely wear, a CD/DVD rack taking up a whole wall and my entertainment components. (All the way on top is my "sleeper" head..... a 70s Fender PA100 which sound AMAZING with a passive neck pickup.)

100_5960.

Now, of course, I don't get too emotional about such things. But it did make me chuckle and shake my head a little bit.

So, how 'bout you guys? Where do your rigs live? Music rooms need not apply. I'm only talking about storage of rigs in the house and creative places we find to stick them.

Bonus points for pics!

2. blakelock

blakelock

Dec 16, 2009
    -
    i have longed for a music room and i guess i'm lucky to have what i do....it's a slot between our desk and the wall in our study/rec room

i have carefully stacked tetris-style 4 cabs (all 1x12's) and a 3bass stand in front. i slide my gig bags and backpack in there as well.

CIMG0354.

3. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    I have a music room, but it's at the bottom of 2 flights of steps,
    so it can be safely discounted from the OP's criteria.
    The gear that's there stays there.

Have an Ampeg B3 biamp combo (cab only)
    that's currently doing duty holding tools for my basement stair repair job.
    (remind me to blow off the drywall dust)
    Bunch of basses and guitars tucked away there in the kitchen, too.
    Just the ones I use in rotation.

Couple acoustic basses stashed in closets.
    Pile of refurb jobs in the shop.
    The road gear lives in a shed up a flight of steps by the street.
    2 short ramps gets the gear to my truck.

Maybe a couple cabs serving as end tables here and there.

Wifey gets a little testy when my gear starts to assimilate the rest of the rooms,
    so I have to make sure it doesn't.

4. bass geetarist

bass geetarist

Jul 29, 2013
    toronto
    I live in a one bedroom apartment and have 10 basses/guitars, 3 keyboards, a rack of preamps and such, a practice amp, and a computer for recording. Basically, I have a "studio" instead of a living room.

5. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    my gear lives at our drummer and guitarists place since that is where we practice. Any other stuff (drum set/other 4x10) lives in the band room at school since I use it there when teaching.

Basses live with me either in my van or my GF's living room

6. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Basses and recording gear live in the living room and dining room, amps in the garage and/or basement.

7. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    My basses and guitars live in my bedroom closet. Amps are at my rehearsal space.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Now living in an apartment. No music room.

My 5 basses: stored in a closet

2 combo amps for home rehearsal: in my office (spare bedroom), along with PC, TV, and Xbox

I sometimes keep a rack rig and 6x10 in my car. I'm not happy with this but I gig frequently and rehearse occasionally and dragging stuff up flights of stairs is a pain.

I keep a pair of 2x10 cabs at a rehearsal spot (drummer's garage)

I rent a storage unit (room sized, not garage sized) a couple miles away. In it I keep my 1x15 (small gig cab) along with other spare gear such as racks, preamps, amps, cables, straps, parts.

9. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    My practice amp sits just to the left of my couch in the living room with a couple of basses on stands in the vicinity. The other basses are in gig bags in my bedroom. My main rig stays in the church sanctuary.

10. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Most of my gear hibernates between uses in a quiet back room of my apartment, doing double duty as heavy decibel beast and kitty perch.

The rest (usually the stuff I least enjoy moving regularly) can be found at the locations I am most likely to deliver heavy decibels.

11. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Well, the basses are all mounted on the wall in the living room. My two acoustic guitars are mounted on the wall in the guest room.

As for amps, I got lucky with spaces. My main rig (GK MB212-ii) fits perfectly between my girlfriend's dressers (yes, she NEEDS TWO OF THEM...;) ), and my older GK400RB/115 (currently for sale) fits perfectly between the guest bed and wall snug as a bug.

12. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Lot's o stuff in my exterra comes erywhere I go between gigs..but WILL be in garage eventually.

Some guitars amps,in bedroom closet, 2 guitars (acoustic, and 6 string elec) in cases just leanin against wall behind door. (GF not too upset about it so far) ;)

Another amp at guitarists house..

Pretty much wherever.

13. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I keep my guitars, basses, and stage rig in my man-cave. Those, along with multi computers, tools, and photo equipment do a good job of keeping the wife out of there.

14. RxFunk

RxFunk

Dec 2, 2012
    Arizona
    All my gear lives in a carefully arranged corner of my bedroom: one bass, one classical guitar, one acoustic guitar, one electric guitar, one mandolin, one ukulele, and my amp.

15. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    I have a music room but my wife's keeps calling it "the dining room".

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    My cabs, heads, amps, recording and PA gear live in a rented practice room. My basses and guitars live in the guest room, cases under the bed, with my main bass gig bagged in the corner. Spare micro head stays bagged in the closet for in-case-ofs.

17. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Similar to me. My wife calls mine the living room. My five basses are the best looking pieces of furniture in there.

18. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    PXnbU3L.
    In my NYC Apt, in my 8'x9' bedroom in the space at the end of my bed of course

19. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    My music room is a spare bedroom. If I have guests I won't be practicing anyway.

20. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Mine has grown past the music room where it has taken over the hallway completely and now is taking root in the living room as well!