1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you have time I would like some help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Whispers, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Whispers

Whispers

Apr 30, 2010
    Redondo Beach
    I am a new bass player and my amp is crap and I need to replace it. I need a 200 watt bass amp at least, or I want it I should say.

I have found two bass amps that I am thinking about but I am not sure and my bassist friend is not responding to my questions.

The Eden N28 looks like a kick ass amp from the specs. It is $389 and the link can be found here: http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-EDEN28.html

The second one i am looking at is 300 watts actually. It is the Behringer ULTRABASS BXL3000 300 watt 15" Bass Combo. The price is $300 and the link can be found here:http://www.cheapbandgear.com/ULTRABASS_BXL3000_p/bxl3000.htm

If you have any other suggestions I need, or want a 200 watt combo bass amp, preferably something I can purchase online. I appreciate any help, thank you for the time.

My email address is arcaina8@gmail.com if you prefer to respond that way. In the subject line add BASS.

2. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    If you're a new player, you probably don't need a 200w amp!

I've been playing for a while (21 years including guitar haha) and my amp is 180w

Try an Ashdown EB 180 combo, very nice sound and punch for the price.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Generally speaking, Eden = good, B-word = meh.

I don't know how those 8-inch drivers will sound, but the spec says they're good to to 42 hz, which ain't bad.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, you're right. He needs 300 watts, but in consideration of his budget, the Nemesis is going to be the better of the choices offered.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    If you intend to gig 200 or 300w should be minimum. You will need a cab or combo with at least 1-15 or a 2-10. A single 12 or 10 will not do it if you are playing with acoustic drums.

If you can get something with a headphone input and aux input that would be useful to practice with.

If you got something like a 115 combo at 8 ohms capable of 4 ohms with an extension cab that would cover you for now and later you could add another 115 or 210. That would have you covered for almost anything with reasonable volume.

Personally I'd stay away from Behringer.

As mentioned above by a previous poster, the Ashdown EB180 is a good example of what I was getting at. If you got that and then got a second 115 for later you'd be doing pretty well.

You might want to also explore the idea of getting a seperate amp and cab rig. That rig definitely has its advantages.

Cheapest prices are usually found on TB classifieds or craigslist. Naturally you get more bang for the buck if you buy used.

6. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    I wouldn't go with the Behringer. Some people hate it some love it. I have a Behringer practice amp and it sounds good at lower volumes but turn it up past 5 and it sounds really bad. It doesn't bother me because I rarely turn it up that high. I usually keep it at around 2. I've played a couple of other more powerful Behringer amps and it was the same thing. If your're going to limit yourself to two choices then I would go with the Nemesis. I gather that your budget is 3-4bills from the amps that you've been comparing and if that's true then I think it would be worthwhile to check out some of the older used SWR Working Man's combos. I always liked them and they sounded really good to me. I'm pretty sure that you could find the 15" combo really cheap and maybe have enough cash left over to start saving for an extension cab to bring up your wattage.

7. I wouldn't go with Behringer either. If you're looking for a good, solid amp that would do fine for a small venue, I would look into Acoustic's B200. I think it's $350. For 200w, a 115 driver w/horn and even an external speaker output, it's a good deal. I've personally heard this amp but have never owned one, it definitely sounded pretty solid for what it's worth. I think you'd be pretty pleased with it.

8. Whispers

Whispers

Apr 30, 2010
    Redondo Beach
    The Ashdown EB 180 combo is a bit more pricey. The eden N28 is actually pushing it as far as price goes. But would the Eden N28 work for gigs? (Thinking ahead)

9. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    While a bit out of your price range, I'd look at the GK BL600 and a used cabinet (or one of the new GK210MBE cabs that are getting ready to come out). Expandable rig, plenty of power, pretty versatile, reliable, and in the long run, pretty darned cheap.

I hesitate to recommend anything cheaper, because you'll outgrow anything smaller, and end up spending more.

10. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
  11. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    No.

It depends on what you mean by 'gig' really. If you're playing in a small coffee house with an acoustic guitar and suchlike then just a little bit 'no'. If you're idea of a gig is a pub with 2 loud guitarists and a big-ass drum then a whole lot of 'no'.

12. Look into Peavey gear.

You could get a used combo or half stack for peanuts that would be much bigger and louder than the amps you are looking at. Chances are they'd also be quite a bit cheaper. Not to mention they are about as reliable as you get.

13. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hey! I'm a Redondo Beach native! Welcome to TalkBass...

For 'Industrial Metal', I believe that you're going to be disappointed with either of the amps that you've listed...

If you insist on going for new combos, Bass Junkie's suggestion of the B200 gets you closer... Solid, easy to dial in, reasonably loud... Though there's a fair amount of bashing, I'd say that if you're buying anything that they carry new, GC is the place to go due to their generous return policy... Typically, most problems with a new amp (due to manufacturing) are going to show up in the first 30 days, so you can easily exchange...

Used will get you far more 'bang-for-the-buck'... Scour Craigslist for deals... i_got_a_mohawk points at Peavey, which again, is solid, dependable gear available on the cheap...

I did take a stab at hitting the LA craigslist and was a bit floored by the lack of bass gear out there! If you're willing to stray from the combo and move towards separate components, this 'stack' isn't bad, and the guy is willing to separate... That 400RB head is a workhorse, sounds good with a variety of cabs, gets loud, and at $200 is a far better deal IMO than either of the amps you posted...

Other:

Peavey 2X15 stack

This Carvin Combo ain't too bad

Another 400RB 1X15 package

-robert

14. That 215 setup is nice. Really good cab, my favourite 215 :D . Not played that peavey head much tho, one of our old rehersal rooms used to have one.

15. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
  16. Whispers

Whispers

Apr 30, 2010
    Redondo Beach
    As for the acoustic bass amp would this work for an electric bass? I mean it would make sense as it was suggested I just don't understand why its called acoustic. Thank you guys for the suggestions!

17. I like specific pieces of Behringer gear including their BX4500 head (450W), but their combos don't have a great reputation. Eden gear is excellent, but not cheap.

I think that if you want to buy once and be ready for more gigs in the future, a separate head and cabinet would be a wise way to go. It would probably be a good idea to look in the 300W and higher range, with at least a pair of 12" speakers in one cab.

18. Whispers

Whispers

Apr 30, 2010
    Redondo Beach
    I don't plan on playing industrial metal its just my favorite music to listen to at the moment. So your from Redondo beach? Thats awesome. I plan on playing metal and rock. Like tool and rush and stuff.

19. Then two 10" speakers are NOT going to cut it. Buy a separate head so that you can add speaker cabs as needed, and start with at least a 2x12 cab.

20. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    Acoustic is the brand! It's designed for electric bass.