If you haven't picked up the Rush R30 DVD...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fawkes007, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    ...then do so. NOW.
  2. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    most brilliant DVD, its absolutely Worth it!
  3. Better than Rush in Rio?
  4. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
  5. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Becouse Geddy sings "YARRR! We are the Pirates, of the temples, of syrinx!" With a Parot on his shoulder...:D

No serriously, the only thing that was missing from rock in Rio to make it Perfect was Red Barchetta... so i think they are about the same level...
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Geddy looks like he still enjoys his gig.....he can throw down!!:bassist:
  7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It's a brilliant dvd, not quite as good as Rush In Rio but the extra goodies (another dvd and the live cd's) make it a brilliant buy. Geddy seems to be having something of an off night as far as vocal s go, he's a little better once he's warmed up but still not perfect.

His bass playing is great though, and the band are obviously having immense fun, so all in all it's brilliant, but then thats what we expect from Rush! Top Marks!

And the played Force Ten!
  8. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    yeah, i agree, Geddy Sounds Prettu Nasal in the beginning of the concert... (You notice it very good on "Spirit of the Radio.)
  9. pete&petelives

Jan 8, 2006
    All in all I liked Rush in Rio more, but I love the extra stuff on the second DVD. Personally, I thought Geddy's bass was way too quiet on the DVD of the show (not in the 2nd DVD). Like at the beginning of "Mystic Rhythms" I can barely hear that little cool bass intro. Throughout the DVD I just think it's evident that he's not loud enough, because when Lifeson's soloing it's hard to hear anything backing him up. I dunno maybe it's my speakers/maybe he was a little too loud on Rio, but I liked it that way.:)
  10. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Listen to it in stereo, rather than 5/1. The bass seems MUCH MORE pronounced in the stereo mix.
  11. pete&petelives

Jan 8, 2006
    WOW, you were right, sounds a lot better.
  12. Anyone here in Australia able to give me a local release date?
  13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    The only thing I didn't like about RIR is that it Didn't have YYZ on it, or Closer to the heart.

Seeing it live in Toronto though was incredible! Completely different from their Frankfurt set. Maybe it was because T.O was their last North American tour, and the energy was through the roof!

Brilliant DVD, none the less though.

14. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I don't know which off the top of my head, but Rush did cut a number of songs that were played during that set as to not overlap the Rush In Rio setlist. It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation - if they included them fans would have been cries of "Double Dip!". They cut them and people bemoan the lack of the full show. :rollno:

I like both DVDs for different reasons. Rush In Rio was a "special event" show for an audience that never had the chance to see them live, the second-largest audience ever, and it shows - how many crowds *sing* "YYZ", an instrumental? The audience-heavy mix takes advantage of this, which can be distracting at times. The "primitive" recording truck that was available has also been cited by the band as an additional factor in the not-quite top-'o-the-line recording, and the MTV editing is too fast-paced. But the "Boys In Brazil" documentary is a fabulous and intimate look into a band that hasn't shown its inner workings, especially Neil. Plus, the soup! :smug:

R30 is more representative of your typical Rush concert - a smaller, indoor arena with a more subdued (compared to the Brazilian fans, it's still a very enthusiastic show) audience with a clearer recording/mix than RiR as well as better editing. Another "DIYD, DIYD" factor are the Feedback cover songs - some fans like them as they show a side of the band not previously seen, while others would have rather preferred original songs in their place. Much like the RiR second disc, the archive is a treasure trove and takes much time to explore.
  15. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario

I wasen't comparing the R30 DVD to the RIR DVD. They're both in my collection, and I watch them both religiously. I'm comparing the R30 DVD to the concert I was at in Toronto. In Toronto they did play YYZ. I know it was probably because YYZ is morse code for Pearson International Airport, but I was, I wouldn't say disappointed but..took back, when they didn't have YYZ on the set list on R30, especially when I heard it with my own ears in Toronto.

16. I like Geddy's sound more in the R30 than in the Rock in Rio... but both are amazing!!!
  17. The audience is much too distracting on Rush In Rio, I want to listen to the band. If I want to hear anything like that I'll go to the park and listen to a bunch of geese.

Anyway here's the complete SarsStock performance...Geddy sounds great, and no annoying audience disturbing the performance...

18. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario

Well, it IS a live performance. You're gonna hear the audience.

and, how can the Sarsstock be less from the audience? There were 500,000 people there.
    Speaking of which, I was there too!

19. i went to buy it with christmas money right after christmas (about the 27th?) and it was gone. they haven't gotten another in yet