1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

if you know your speakers, please help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mindflow, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. mindflow


    Oct 31, 2004
    i have a GK 4x10 SBH ( i think its SBH, the model that starts with an S). so i had this terrible vibrating noise when i hit low notes hard. i narrowed it down to one speaker and when i removed it found that the paper cone had separated slightly from the outer part of the speaker which has ridges on it. not where its all attached to the frame of the speaker, but the piece that allows the cone to vibrate. i hope this makes any sense, i am new to this and this site helps me learn a lot. anyways. my question is can i fix this myself. i am thinking of getting either a new cab, or replacing the speakers in my GK so id like to fix the problem as cheaply as possible. one pleace said they could reglue the cone for $40, then they tried to sell me a Peavey speaker because thats all they carry. I went to another place and the guy said he could get me a new woofer for $65. now is a woofer just the cone part or the whole speaker? now if i tried to fix this myself is thhere a special glue i have to use? any help is appreciated thank you.
  2. billfitzmaurice

    billfitzmaurice Commercial User

    Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If the cone has come loose from the surround you can reglue it. Rubber cement works well.
  3. canadian*eh


    Jan 4, 2006
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    What typ of amp are you using?That 410 sbx is only rated at 400 watts rms.......so i you are using a amp that is of a higher rating you might have lil problem.You have to take in to consideration the fact that the sbx is one of gk low end speakers cab,I personly would try out the 410 rbh cab.it is there pro line cab and is rated at 800 watts rms and comes it a 8 ohm and 4 ohm model.But if you cant aford it there is the new sbx II 410 cab which is also rated at 800 wats as well.If you are a loud player and really push your cab you proble are going to run in to the same problem down the road.So i would recomend getting a cab the will be able to handle the abuse that you might give it.......Oh and by the way a woofer is a whole speaker:DGood luck!!!!!!!
  4. Yeah, reglue it. I've used rubber cement, as Bill says, and I reinforce the joint on either side with said glue, and lay on a couple layers of light facial tissue. small strips, enough to cover the tear and about 1/4" each side of the tear...
  5. mindflow


    Oct 31, 2004
    hey guys thanks for the help. ill try the rubber cement. as far as overpowering the cab. that may be the case. i had the GK 400 rb which is 280 and i upgraded to an Eden wt500 at 600watts. i wouldnt think that would eb a problem though from what ive read. i was thinking it was just a poor quality speaker.
  6. mindflow


    Oct 31, 2004
    well i just fixed it, so it seems. im hoping i dont have any problems later on but for now it sounds ok. thanks. im glad i didnt spend 40 hard earned dollars, it cost me 3 bucks for rubber cement
  7. Operate with the thought of the driver eventually failing again where you will have to replace it. The good news will be all the use you got from it between and now and then, and for $3.