Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If you like Classical...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, May 6, 2003.

1. Pre-Medieval

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Medieval

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Renaissance

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Boroque

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  5. Classical

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  6. Romantic

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. Modern/20th Century/ Neo-classical

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  8. The carrot period

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  9. I love them all equally!!!

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    To those of you who are classical fans- What's your favorite period and why? The poll has all of the "Officially divided" periods, so its legit Bruce ;).

My favs are teh Renaissance, Boroque, and classical because I like the complex interweaving of the ideas, and the massive development of composers like Bach and Beethoven. Renaissance has some gorgeous vocal works as well.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Baroque, because it's pure and I like counterpoint.

Late romantic, because it pushes the limits of harmonic inventiveness without sounding like the atonal crap to come. Not that all of the later stuff was bad. Just a lot of it.

3. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I've always loved the Medieval songs. And there have been quite a number of Baroque songs I've enjoyed playing as well.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Romantic & 20th Century.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - you could take issue and say that "Classical" music didn't actually start until Mozart's time - before that it's just not Classical Music.

Baroque is Baroque and not Classical music.....

Also - what about other traditions like Indian or Japanese Classical music etc etc ? ;)

Really "Classical" is pretty meaningless as a term nowadays and only of any use to people Marketing music ....

(Got to live up to expectations - eh?)

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    btw, 5string, you misspelled Baroque :D

But, this thread is in Misc, so Blackbird may well fix that :D

7. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Romantic all the way. Wagner, Bruckner, Grieg, Tchaichovsky, Dvorak, Strauss - alla da heavy hitters. Stuff that scares the hell out of the natives. None of that p#$$y baroque crap. Norse gods. Giants. Fat ladies with helmets. Meaty, beaty, big and bouncy. Oh, yeah. :cool:

8. I'm going to say 20th Century, mostly because it has explored more ground in a way.

Some of my favorite composers are Prokofiev and Shostakovich.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I picked Baroque and Neo Classical.

10. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Jazzers on this side of the pond like the term "European Art Music".:)

11. Medieval - Why? Because EVERYONE knows Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Bartok and the Beatles.

But few folks know medieval music - medieval composers - medieval forms - and medieval theory. If you know classical music then you probably know what sonata form is. But what is color? What is talea?

Medieval music is an acquired taste like Guiness Stout - its not for everyone - but it will reward many times over the time one spends with it.

Launching into a full digression........

One of the theories of music history is the alternating way in which eras semed to have formed in the Western Art Tradition - an era of eros contrasting with an era of logos: medieval to baroque, baroque to classical, classical to romantic. Medieval is essentially romantic (eros) music - and those eras always seem to coincide with an expansion of tonal and rhythm possibilities. Medieval music is one style that is little known, understood or appreciated - yet has its own charm unlike any other era.

"Stretch your ears." Charles Ives father's advice to the young man.

"With music, one must feel with the brain and think with the heart." George Szell

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    paul hindemith (sp?) was my groove.

i had to play the sonata for trumpet and klav in college, kicked my arse.

in high school we played one of the symp's (no. 1?) - that really taught me how to deal with time sigs and opened my mind up to 5/8, 7/8, 9,8

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Interesting ....I have a CD of music by Perotin, a medieval composer (sung by the Hiliard ensemble) and it is quite complex, but of course very spiritual - anyway, you would hardly call it "Classical" !! ;)

I have some CDs of other Medieval music and it is more like a European folk tradition - but of course this pre-dates when people even thought of music in these dichotomies!

14. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    In a very austere voice"You can not call yourself a real musician,regardless of your style or instrument,until you have sat,score in hand,and listened to the Bach mass in B minor.This is the bible per se.All of tonal music in it's wonder and beauty is layed out here to examine."
    Prof.Yaron Ross

15. All tonal music up to the time of Bach that is!

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I love them all but i do have an affinity for
    late Renaissance and Early Baroque. Especially the works of Marin Marais and Monteverde.
    Also Couperin and the Bach family are favorites."IGD".

17. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Is there anything else that explains Tonal music more succinctly?

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm all about steve reich and stravinsky....so I guess modern would be for me.

bach ain't bad either ;)

19. I was reacting to that quote - the operative word being "all". There was tons of tonal music after Bach - tons of chords, heck even whole art movements that cannot be explained or understood using just the palette that JS had to work with.

Example?

How about the Tristan Chord? It's tonal and it cannot be found in Bach.

20. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    I believe his point was as a frame of reference for the basic concepts of Tonality,for students of music,this says it completely and beautifully.IMO it's one of the greatest works of art ever achieved.