Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If you like Hendrix and Beck...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SteveD, Mar 1, 2006.

1. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
  2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    pretty cool.

Where are you guys based? Sure would like to take a lesson. What jams to you go to?

3. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Phil usually spends his time in either LA or Sante Fe, NM. Right now he is in the Denver area by a twist of fate. We have been sitting in at some local clubs doing Beck, Hendrix and some of Phil's originals. I am one of two bassists currently playing with Phil locally (Hi Tim!).

When The Jimi Project is released it looks like Phil will be heading out for a tour and some radio station promotions.

SD:cool:

4. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Thanks for the info Steve. sounds like a great gig. Let me know if you guys ever make it down this way, love to see it live.

peace.

5. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    You aren't too far from Sante Fe, so you might get a shot to see Phil there sometime. That's his current home base. I'll clue you a performance is going to happen there. Teh website should advertise dates also.

I took a couple of lessons and felt a little blurry. About 3 days later, I realized I was opening up and playing a lot better. Phil pushes you hard enough that you have to actually recover from the lessons to get the good effects.

6. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I discovered Phil on Tonequest. I have his hand-signed limited release, as well as the Jimi Project. What a talent. He is one of my favorite recent artist discoveries.

Congrats on being able to play with, take lessons from, and just hang with Phil. It must be great. I have great respect for him as an artist. Such a tone...

7. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Basshole: Phil is a trip alright, and yes, it's been a lucky interlude. I'll post something here when The Jimi Project becomes available, you'll want a copy. Jimmy Haslip on bass, plus Phil on guitar, yikes!

8. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Perhaps there's some confusion...I have the Jimi project already. Bought it off Tonequest.

Phil kills because he reharms everything, not just covers it.

Effin brilliant.

9. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Basshole: Right you are, The Jimi Project can be bought at Tonequest, and Phil's site too, I think. The "release" is for radio stations, and is a staged event. Sitting in a room with Phil and listening to his work, especially with the whammy bar, is amazing. He sometimes turns the bar backwards and uses it, and slams the guitar with his fist, creating all kinds of wild sounds, plus the usual hot licks like everyone else. His arranging ability is incredible, he just finished an arrangement of Crossroads that is killer. Robert Johnson and Mr. Clapton would both love it is my guess.

10. he must know all those Jeff Beck solos. Sounds like Beck was a major influence.

Great sounds!

11. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    At a recent performance, we did Beck's version of A Day in the Life. There were several guitarists there, and they looked pretty stunned afterward. One said later, "That was so emotional, I think it was better than Beck." Phil is a very gifted player.

Official release of The Jimi Project set for March 28. We'll see if the radio mooks like it and play it.

12. i dunno...listening to most of the samples......just doesn do anything for me

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The guy's pretty cool. Enough flash, but nicely rooted that you can get a grip on it.

I'll have to pick up his discs.

Makes me want a Tele real bad.

14. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Heath: That's cool, we've all got our preferences. I didn't think much of Phil at first either, even after hearing him live. Then I played his stuff loud on a new stereo at home and said whoa, this guy loves huge bass, and has incredible musical ideas. Now, after playing on stage and in practice with him, I hear his genius. But, he is best in small doses for most.

He has made me a better player, and for that I will always be thankful.

P. Aaron: Glad you liked the stuff.

15. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Frankly, I prefer his work on his Bari tuned Les Paul, although it seems regardless of what axe he's playing, his tone is undeniably his...something between Beck, Jimi, and Billy Gibbons.

Personally, I love it, and hope to meet the guy one day...perhaps even play with him.

He's on my short list of those I'd like to play with, for sure.

16. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Basshole: Where are you located?

Guitar Center started their "Guitarmageddon" blues guitar competition in the Denver area Tuesday night. Phil signed up as a lark, and won it.

I will try to get a list of the stations that are slated to play the single "Manic Depression" from The Jimi Project" and post it here. For those that have the CD, I think that cut and some others have been remixed, but I'll find that out and post any information for you.

SteveD:cool:

17. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Dude, is that you in the Manic video his site??

18. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Joisey.

19. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    MikeBass: Nope, don't know who that is on the video, which is from 2004. I've just been doing local work with Phil for about 2 months. Guys like Phil use multiple bassists. I'm just lucky to get a short ride with him while he is here. Might get in on some touring, we'll see.

Basshole: You are a long ways off, but I'll remember in case we get out that way. Backstage pass for you.

20. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Self-bump here, but I was down to Page 3, and I do have some new info. Phil's new release, The Jimi Project, and new single, Manic Depression should be hitting about 700stores as I post.

He has promises of airplay starting around April 17. If you hear Manic Depression on your station, please call and request it. I guess that assumes you like it, but hopefully you will like it.

Also available at Phil's site (see below) and itunes I'm told.

SteveD:cool: