If you like to give advice...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shawshank, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Shawshank

Jun 11, 2003
    I need some.

I've been through acoustic and 7 string electric guitars. Been playing both of those for around 4 solid years now.

The thing is... I hate playing chords. I can play a lot better and have a lot more fun just snapping off single notes. So recently I have been playing with a friends lower end squier bass, and I love it... so I have decided to switch over to bass.

Now I have to just decide what to buy. Im not looking for anything impressive, just functional. My budget is max $350 for both a practice amp and guitar. For an amp I'm looking at the Behringer Ultrabass BX600 (or possibly the BX300 to save some money). The guitar is what I am having trouble with. I don't realy like the looks of the Squier line. I like the looks of the Ibanez line, such as the GSR200.

I guess my question is would the GSR200 fit my type of music? Which would be stuff along the lines of Creedence Clearwater Revival to Hendrix to Lars and Rancid. Basically I play oldies and some punk.

Thanks for any opinions or advice you guys can give out for a new bassist (other than the main newb threads, I have already checked those out).
  2. Best way to spend your money is on used equipment. Best bang for buck. Spend as much as you can on the nicest used amp possible that you can get your hands on. You would probably be better off saving for a better bass later on down the road.
  3. the best bang for buck bass guitars I have found are SX. there are a few different styles but a friend of mine got one of the jazz basses and upgraded the pickups and it is really sweet. the stock pickups are good too, he just decided to upgrade a while after he got it. check them out.

4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Spend most of your budget on a used bass. I would personally go for a Mexican Fender Jazz or Precision (you choose). Get yourself a cheap practice amp or headphone amp.

The reason behind this is

You might be a newbie bassist but not a newbie musician, if you have nice instruments, you probably are used to them.

Practice like crazy unamplified if you have to. Save up for an amp that will do small gigs, and look for a band/form a band.

Many rehearsal rooms have backline, use theirs with your nice bass.

Many gigs are of the multiple band variety and often support bands get to use the backline (not always brush up on your people skills and ask first).

FInd a bassist who is learning guitar and pool your resources.

If you really get stuck you can hire an amp.
  5. Shawshank

Jun 11, 2003
    Ok thanks much guys, I'm most likely going to stall on the amp for awhile now. And look into finding a used Fender precision. Thanks again.
  6. Honestly I have had great milage out of my OLP Stingray!

You can pick one up new for about $225 from a retailer or used for probably less. They've got a great sound. Plus a pretty good range. On the other hand, you get more choices going with an Essex (SX) from rondomusic.

Whatever you pick, GET A GOOD AMP!
    Makes a huge difference.
  7. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    that was my first bass,it did what it was supposed to do, no more,no less.i dont like the neck,its to flat for me(the frett-board) now that i play only fenders so i sold mine to my roomate for 100.00$. for the money(209.00$)its a decent bass,its made just like the higher end models without real good electronics. you can do far worse than GSR200:D
  8. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I have to got with OLP. I bought one on a whim just to have something to customize, and play around with. It set me back $249 and has one of the best necks that I have ever layed my hands on. I have since installed an Aguillar OBP-1 in it, and the bass just rules.
  9. Shawshank

Jun 11, 2003
    I went to the local shop today looking at used and new Fenders, when I came across a few Yamahas (half of my previous experience has been with Yamaha). I tried a few out and liked the feel. They were mixed in with the more expensive high end bass section so I was just trying them out for fun. As I was holding one with a nice red finish my helper told me that it was a discontinued model and its price is only $260. He said the model had retailed in the past for almost $800. It was a Yamaha RBX760A with active P&J tuners. So I was imediately interested. I told him that I was very interested in it, and asked him to hold it for me if possible.

So now the question is: should I go with the RBX760A, or still look for a MiM Fender? I liked the feel, and my past Yamaha acoustics have been well put together. The only thing that holds me back is wether people have had good or bad experiences with Yamaha basses (being that the price has dropped so much)?
  10. First bass I've heard of with active "tuners"... (Just kidding, we know what you meant...)

Seriously. When I joined my current band about a year ago (after a long time-out from gigging) I got real worried about carrying my Leo-era Stingray to some of the dives we play. Wound up buying a Yamaha RBX-755A off ebay for about $200. I'd always heard good things about Yamaha quality and consistency, even on the low end, and I was wanting a five-string, so the timing just worked out.

Bottom line, it's big-time bang-for-buck. It's one of my two main giggers. Sounds to me like you've found an excellent deal there. If it speaks to you, you ought to go for it. I seriously doubt you'll find a better bass at such an entry-level price.

Hope this helps.
  11. Shawshank

Jun 11, 2003
    Pickups, knobs, whatever :D

Thanks for the input Hackster and everyone else, I think I'm set on the Yamaha now.
  12. Just one tip-- try to get them to throw in a free setup before you take it home. Regardless of build quality, most mass-produced instruments will benefit from a decent hands-on setup after shipping.

Hell, while we're at it, let's dicker for a gig bag, extra string set, guitar stand, etc. etc. Worst that can happen is they'll say no... :p

FWIW, my standard advice to new players is to "buy used and play for free"-- you can usually find a higher-quality used instrument that's already depreciated for the same money as a new entry-level axe. But you've found a fine deal on the Yamaha, IMO.

Now, speaking of used, let's get you into an amp. With your $350 max budget, looks like we're talking about $75 left over after sales tax. Once you have your bass, take it with you when you hit the pawn shops. My practice amp is a little Crate 50-watt bass combo with a 12" speaker that's just fine for playing along with the stereo. Cost $75 at the local pawnery. And pawn shop owners are practically disappointed if you *don't* try to dicker 'em down. But whatever you do, don't play your bass through a guitar amp at anything above a whisper. Guitar speakers aren't designed to handle the long throw needed to reproduce bass freqs.

Good luck, and let us know how you like the Yamaha. Cheers!
  13. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    if you have an extra guitar laying around maybe trade it in toward a even better quality bass, if it's an option.