Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If you like words, describing and bass playing...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, May 8, 2003.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Describe your bass playing with words! :cool:

Also, describe where you think you're going with it and what you'd like it to be. What things are you doing to get there, what things do you need to do?

Someone else go first.;)

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    lost puppy - now

Bald Eagle - the future (hard work and practice, constant gig's)

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Describe my bass playing in words?

Well, I think it's best paralleled to a scud missle: offensive, inaccurate; usually below radar, popping up when least expected and least needed.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My bass playing...is like a fervid animal, clawing at every single door in the room, consantly looking for food to satisfy it's insatiable appetite.

Eventually, the animal will grow and not need so much food, and will sit back and contemplate a life of food gathering, and will work on better ways to use the food, whether that's distributing to other needy animals, creating new recipes and cooking, or simply eating healthy. That's what will most likely happen.

hmm...kind of a crummy metaphor, but whatever ;)

I like brendans :p

5. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Pick, sharp, dark, full, introspective, epic, emotional, not heavy, not evil, me.

I'm currently going the solo route, because I haven't found many musical connections with the people here. Everybody here is going a different route, either musically, socially, or both, so I have a hard time fitting in with other musicians. I'd like to have a bass, drums, keys trio, doing kind of dark trip hop like Massive Attack or Portishead, but I don't know if that'll ever happen. I'm currently only making tips when I play. The other day I made 10 bucks. But that's okay.

I would call myself the least funky bass player you'll ever meet. I rarely play a straight bassline. And I'm completely unconcerned with what the kick drum is up to.

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    One word for it:

Crap.

I can often get a tone I like, with a pleasing vibrato, particularly up high, but my playing, well... lately, in particular, I've been stinking the place up.

I'm actually not looking to be a bass virtuoso, and fast playing doesn't really interest me too much.

I'd just like to be able to play solidly, with spirit, and be able to groove. Musically, my purpose is to simply create and execute beautiful bass lines that contribute to my songs.

My main block on this is my mind. It gets in the way. Particularly with bass (as opposed to any of the other instruments I play).

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Brendan, you really crack me up :D

8. wow moley, you took the words from my mouth!!

feeling kinda better though, I played 'Come On Come Over' for my bass assessment in music, and got a Credit 2 (B). I learned it in 2 days, and messed up the second chorus riff, which is why I got a B. :(

my bassing is plain. its like a sheet of paper. white. nothing. sharp. i know what to do with the paper, yet I cannot... But some day with my 21 stringed FieDlY sIg ill pwn u a||!

*shrugs* ;)

9. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    You said you're primarily a pianist, yes? I know what you mean. I think that most people who play a lot of instruments (or really, more than one) are rarely fantastic at more than one. I obviously have never heard you play, so I'm not talking specifically about you, but I know that, while I play bass very much like one plays guitar, I suck at playing guitar. I play chords on bass, so it's not that I don't know how to play guitar, it just comes across "wrong".

I know a little piano, but I couldn't play it well. At this point, at least. I think my brain just approaches most music theory and instruments in general from the POV of a bass player. So, I'm thinking about the piano in terms of how it relates to the fretboard, and that's just entirely wrong. I need to work on that.

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah. Stevie Wonder is perhaps a notable exception.

Though, to be honest, I'm don't think I'm fantastic at any instrument. But I'm much closer to fantastic on piano than any other instrument.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I think I sound pretty good. It's the guitar players turning the air into cottage cheese.

12. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Not fancy or a ton of chops, but a groovin' bitch, a mule, a workhorse whatever you want to call it. I understand my role in the band (power trio) and I try not to overplay but do what I can to support the GP. It's like headroom on an amp; you can do a lot more but you stay in the zone where you sound solid and in the pocket. I like not being the center of attention, being a supporting member :rolleyes: . this is what ai'm good at. I play guitar too, but bass is what I do best. I have more fun settin' down a solid groove than I do anything else and what's more fun than that? :D

13. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I forgot to say. I aspire to what Kenny
    Gradney does on 'Skin it Back' from Little Feat's "Feats Don't Fail Me Now". Such funk with no junk...Hmm, Hmm, Hmm!!!

14. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Like a chick of mediterranean origin, I have no idea what the lower register is nor how to maintain it in an appealing fashion.

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Isn't this like dancing about architecture?

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    :D

17. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You should see my jig about Dutch gables or my chimney stack pirouette... :p

Wulf

18. I am a perfectionist so I want to do everything correct.
    I am picky in my tone, I need a warm tone, but sharp at the same time.
    I still need to learn alot, because I wanna be able to play every music style that is out there...
    I am insecure about my playing, but attachted enough to the instrument to put everything in it I got...
    I am creative and tight as hell, but still a newbie...

Wendy

19. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    is: a warm waft of pants-flapping dogbreath.

aspires to be; a gentle susurrus pining for the fjords.

To get there, I have put the bass down and resumed my drummist tendencies. I'm just wondering for how long you have to not play to really make improvements...

20. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    always progressing