Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If you listen to only one TBer mp3 this year...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Make sure it's John Turner's new Lord Only clip. But - if you listen to two TBer mp3s, check out my new song "Excerpt from the Apocrypha", on my website www.benjaminstrange.net.

It's bass and vocals only, with some help with my new G-Force. It's an edit from a much longer song, but I thought it might stand on it's own. Let me know what you think (only good responses, please! :p ).

2. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    thats very good. Real moody Radiohead type vibe. Singer is a lot better than some of the other songs posted here.

Not a Radiohead fan but I liked this.

P.S. Maybe the song could benefit from some sustained keyboard pads and light percussion (think Planet Caravan)

Just my two cents, but very good as is

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Actually, that singer is me. That's a first take. I seem to best vocally right when I wake up - groggy, gravelly voice, no warm up before hand. It's not perfect, but there's something about that nasty, slightly out of tune voice that I like.

This is an intro to a much heavier song (think Ministry/Meshuggah sort of vibe). I think Radiohead would be appalled to hear the whole thing. :p

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I saw Messugah open for Tool. Couldn't get a grasp on what they were doing because of so much sound. Then I found out they played 8 string guitars... didnt really enjoy them.

Good work on your clip though.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dude you rock :D :hyper:

7. If I could really only listen to one, Lord Only would be it. But, then I'd try to sneak in The Nerve right after that. :)

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks s&m. hmmm.:D

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, when can we hear the whole thing? I love Meshuggah btw.

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, I've just barely started on the rest of it. It may take a while - programming out every part in multiple time signatures is a pain!

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Understandable. Let us know!

12. Have you submitted anything for the TB sampler CD yet?

This song would be a nice start, consider it, read the announcement in my sig line!

[​IMG]
    Treena

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I haven't submitted that one for the sampler, no. I thought it was for supporting members only.

I can't seem to get your link to work, Treena. It asks me for a password, and won't allow me in. :confused:

14. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    It sounds pretty good, but I had a hard time understanding the lyrics. I also think I'd drop the sustained echo on the vocals.

15. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Jeez I was gonna say.... everyone should listen to MY mp3.... its called Tides and it should be on the sampler CD.

But there are some darn good bass players here at TB. Looks like I've still got a ways to go :hyper:

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    nice and dark and moody. Me likey.

I should like to throw some drums on 'em, wish I was set up for that at the moment.

17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Cool!!! I like it!!!