Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If You Love Claro Walnut Burl....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Jul 23, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just thought I'd share - Dave Pushic has the back of my bass pretty close to finished so he sent me some pics.

- Purpleheart neck centerpiece
    - Quilted-birdseye maple neck (I know - the birdseyes aren't visible in the photo and the quilts don't show well in the photo either)
    - California claro walnut burl wings on lower half of body (top half is all cocobolo; neck-through not visible on top half)

[​IMG]

I spec'd for a control cavity cover that wraps around the side to hide some of the cover seam. AND I spec'd that the cover should continue the walnut's figuring uninterrupted.
    Dave figured out how to do it and I think he did a splendid job of keeping the figuring uninterrupted where the body ends and the cover begins -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Rick,

Let's also see that cocobolo!:D

BTW: how heavy is the walnut?

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Looking very nice, from what I can see...
    interesting shape. Going to be a beauty!

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Looks very nice, claro walnut is one of my favs among the "fancy woods" (is there a better term for them?).

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Chocolate covered walnut! Creamy maple neck! Think I'll have some ice cream.:D

6. I usually don't like the look of dark woods, but I really like this. Nice bass. I bet you can't wait to get your hands on it.

7. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Gorgeous - that's shaping up to be the finest DP Custom I've seen yet!

Dave P. still needs to get a better camera though!

8. rickbass

As for weight, consider it to be just like any rock/hard maple you have. I wanted a thick body, so between the extra thick cocobolo and walnut burl I spec'd, this thing will be a brick. Dave mentioned that up front, but that's okay with me. I like the tone profiles of heavy basses. At my age, I'm not jumping 3 feet in the air wearing a pair of Vans onstage.

No up-to-date cocobolo pics at this time. It just darkens too fast. When the time comes, Dave will sand it to get it bright and slap on something like a poly with a UV protectant. Here's how much the same board can vary within a very short time while it's unfinished -
    [​IMG]

Same board -

[​IMG]

9. does anybody else see the pig in this photo?

10. rickbass

How about "wallet rapists"???

Thanks Dan and everyone for the kind comments! The back is the "plain" side. :D

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Damn. Nice burl!

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That is going to be one killer looking bass. Me likes what me sees so far. Anxious to see it when it is completed.:)

13. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Man Rick, that is shaping up to be absolutely GORGEOUS! Just makes me more and more anxious to see pics of mine:)

Did Dave mention when any of the rest will be done? I bet you can't wait.

Alex

14. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I really like the looks of the bass, that is a cool body style.

The walnut looks sweet, nice choice of woods.

15. rickbass

Believe me, Alex, your feelings about yours are very familiar to me by now.
    When Dave has completed a significant step or has had questions about how something should be, he always seems to send pictures.

Nope. And that's okay. Even though mine has taken over a year already, I have told Dave since the beginning to take all the time he needs, especially because I spec'd some things most people don't, like my own design for the inlay. I can't stand it when people bug me about when something will be done.

16. The bass is looking great, Rick! I love that creamy, dreamy claro walnut!

Here's to hoping that Dave applies some of the improved techniques on your bass that he learned after he finished mine! ;)

Jeff

17. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    looks great, rick.
    it makes me thirsty for a guinness beer
    :D
    guinness

18. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    What is the finish on that? is it oil? I kow that is Dave's standard but that looks really glossy.

19. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    :eek:
    just to set the record straight, it hasn't been under construction for that long...there were a number of months up front involved in selecting and obtaining the very special woods..

DAve P.

20. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Hey, Rik. What made you choose walnut and coco bola? What is your tonal plan?