1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

If you love your bass why not set it on fire?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sigterm, May 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Smores time

2. Whoah man whoah

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. sigterm

sigterm ;) ;) ;), love y'all Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    Commending myself on that dead milkmen tagline. Anyhow, I have a Peavey Millenium 5 BXP which I enjoy, all the parts are alright by me and the the neck is pretty ok. Its truly a great value priced bass that I don't have a lot of attachment to, other than I have it tuned to C and have a lot of heavy stuff I use it for and it serves that niche. I do want to upgrade the pickups, but the other hardware is actually pretty good. No issues with the neck with the alternate tuning, the tuners hold, and the bridge doesn't seem to have any big issues other than the way the string through is set up, and I don't have a problem with that either. In other words it leaves little lacking but its not worth it to sell and it needs more flavor to hang with the rest of my arsenal.

I want to mod it somehow, and kind of thinking I'd like to just burn the heck out of it and see what happens. I absolutely hate the "burst" that is on it and the top is patterned but its about as attractive as curtains from the 60s.

That said, if I do booger it, I work next to a premier supplier of exotic veneers, and I think I could handle adding a veneer, of course filling damage, and hitting it with my paint gun. Whats the worst that can go wrong?

So, to burn or not to burn (I'll remove the pickups first unlike this noob pictured below)?

upload_2018-5-15_20-52-1.

The medium:
    upload_2018-5-15_20-53-47.

2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    1st, do it on a holiday where someone is gonna vat fry a turkey, those often end up in disaster where booze and emergency units are involved cos they too figured they could handle being crazy with fire... 2nd, I don't have a 2nd.
    but I occasionally see an old stripped Jazz that got the zebra torch treatment and it looks ok at best. risky biz.

3. If you love your bass, set it afire.

If it comes back to you, it is yours; if it doesn’t, it never was.

JRA, Lobster11, Loring and 6 others like this.
  4. sigterm

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    I hadn't even considered involving alcohol or vat fryers, this could really be the winning ticket.

Ellery, nice_hat, spaz21387 and 3 others like this.
  5. Worst that could happen?
    It will end up in pieces in Dweezil's closet.
    Years later his son will find it, put it together, learn to play bass, and start a band called the Grandsons of Invention.

6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I get the whole "relic" thing, I've done a few. I understand the appeal of "distressed" furniture, and have owned stone-washed jeans. I'm not a prude.

But this... I don't get.

7. sigterm

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    You know what, I was on the fence, but to get @Old Garage-Bander to comment on its generational redemption in its futility I may just be sold. This could be the very thing to tear my daughter from the strat and into the J-bass.

She may also be genuinely happy to burn one of my basses after keeping her up past bedtime.

Spidey2112 and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Larry Hartke was on a burn kick a few years ago. he'd stick all kinds of basses in the oven to see what they'd turn out like.
    You can probably google it and find the pics.

mikewalker and sigterm like this.
  9. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    What is this thread?

pjbassist and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  10. Good value for money.

nbsipics, ahc and sigterm like this.
  11. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Why not burn my bass?

Because it will smell funny and the ashes will kill the strings.

EatS1stBassist and sigterm like this.
  12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'd leave it, as is, learn 'Welcome Back, Kotter' on it, and rock it over and over, until they reboot the series...

upload_2018-5-15_20-52-1.

13. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    Why is this thread?

ThinCrappyTone and sigterm like this.
  14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    s-l300.

fermata, sigterm and Spidey2112 like this.
  15. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Oh ok

LOL... Go for it, I'll watch!

sigterm likes this.
  16. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Here. Hold my beer...

upload_2018-5-16_8-24-5.

17. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    If you're into burning stuff but don't want to destroy it, try a Lichtenberg Machine. You can buy the machine premade or convert an old microwave (not recommended). Lichtenberg figures look mean as hell, and you can fill the crevices with colored epoxy. I've seen 'em with glow in the dark epoxy too... as soon as I can get my hands on a machine I'm tearing up my Strat with it.

moonshinegtrs, andruca and sigterm like this.
  18. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Why is Gamora?

19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Who is John Galt?

ThinCrappyTone, MEKer and sigterm like this.
  20. sigterm

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    Epoxy, this opens up all kinds of ideas. Maybe I burn, hit it with some low brass birdshot, and mend it with some glossy or color epoxy.

meatwad and jackn1202 like this.