1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

If You Only Had $1000 To Spend on a Bass Setup, WHAT WOULD YOU GET?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkindrublic, Mar 13, 2006.

1. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    Well guys, i was browsin around in another forum and a post gave me this idea... If you only had $1000 to spend on a setup what would you buy??? Head, rack, cabs, strings, bass, effects, etc.... But remember, gotta keep it under $1000!!!

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

What kind of music do you play and do you have a GOOD PA to reenforce your sound?

3. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    This game is interesting, but there needs to be some clarification on if we're talking bedroom/practcice rig or the all-out loudest gigging w/ no PA support. Either way, It's completely possible if you buy used.

Example:

bass: SX
    Amp: Behringer
    Cab: Avatar
    Strings: JustStrings.com/musicians friend "El Cheapo" strings

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Currently in classifieds here:
    used TFB420-$700
    used Avatar 2x12-$285

bam, you're done.

5. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I'd say most people would need a bass too.
    :smug:

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It would be tough to do for under $1000 total, but I'd probably go ALL USED for sure, probably a MIM J bass ($300-$350 or so), some sort of used Peavey or GK head, and whatever decent cab I could find with the remainder.

7. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    SX SPJ-62 $125
    Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound Pbass $61.95
    Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound J Bass (Bridge) $54.95
    Dean Markley Blue Steel Bass Guitar Strings (Medium Light) $19.99

Grand Total $580.89

Still have $419.11

8. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Hmmm, I'd go with an SX, too, probably. So that's around $140 with shipping (just an estimate). Forget new strings... Buy a used Hartke 3500 or GK 800RB or Peavey for $250-300 (I just sold my Harkte for $250). And then click my ass over to MF for an Aguilar S410 for $450 (including shipping)... still have about $100 so I'd probably buy a Boss SD-1 or DOD 250 pedal for some overdrive. Take the $50 to go out drinking to celebrate an all new cheap rig :D

9. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I'd save my money.

10. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I think this thread has been done on the talkbass amps forum nearly continuum many times already.

11. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    P'shaw! That's no fun... ;)

12. it may be no fun, but better gear will be more fun in the long run.

i'm currently saving for something that i dont need but want SOO BAD, so i know the pain of waiting and saving.

13. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Um... of course, I understand what Sound Chaser is saying and I agree (I guess the emoticon doesn't evoke the "in the know" wink that I was going for)... but I think setting a limit like this and saying go for it, is just an interest challenge. In a sense, you have to set your priorities, and, thereby, you can learn about what you it is you really value... Hell, at worst, it's just a way to pass 15 minutes thinking about gear, is that so bad? :p

14. Im going for £1,000 seeing that its usually about a 1:1 ratio for £:$ when buying music equipment

Ampeg SVT-II - £500
    Ampeg 810E - £300-£400
    Sansamp BDDI - £100

That doesnt really leave much for a bass, but, if i had to have a bass in there . . .

Ampeg SVT-II - £500
    Peavey 215D BW - £75 or Peavey 810 TX (last one i saw went for £200)
    Sansamp BDDI - £120
    Ibanez ATK400 - £150

Total = £845 with 2x15 or £970 with 8x10

That leaves £30 (with the 810 for a couple leads, and i'd just use the strings that were on the bass :p )

Not too shabby, and pretty much what i use anyway (at the price i got the bits! (minus the 810, i wanted that but missed it because i forgot about the auction!)

15. All second hand of course *

16. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    a complete setup?

I'd buy a used yorkville xm200 off ebay (some have sold for about $300). I'd use the rest of the money to find a used bass for $700. then save up for an extention cab.

17. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    My setup cost just about $1000, a little under maybe. It consist of a Fender MIA pbass, an ampeg portabass 12, and a fender bxr 300 head, all purchased used. Oh and Labella Jamersons.

18. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'd get what I currently have. Or maybe I'd trade in the 210neo and Mag300H for a KustomGB1200 and save 260$ more for a 210neo.

Oh, well I didn't read the question properly.
    I would get an AshdownMag300H, Avatar 210neo and a Fender MIM jazz.

19. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Redlands, CA
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I spent about $1100 on a ThunderFunk + Schroeder setup.

AKA go used. :)

EDIT: Oh, plus bass? Go steal one, I dunno.

EDITEDIT: I don't suggest thievery really, but I also don't try to place my morals onto someone else.

EDITEDITEDIT: Get a job or a rich dead relative, either one will help.

EDITEDITEDITEDIT: Isn't this the amp forum?

EDITEDITEDITEDITEDIT: I'm drunk, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

20. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    The BFC :eyebrow:
    [​IMG]