If you play your bass througha guitar amp, what would happen?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Listen, May 28, 2002.

1. Listen

May 19, 2002
    just wondering:confused:
  2. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I dont think that the speakers are made for such low frequency. It would probably damage the speakers. Playing at low volumes probably wouldnt hurt though.
  3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Low volumes won't do any damage. I would also keep the "Bass" knob on the amp turned down a good bit as well.
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Years ago, I gigged solely with a Sunn Concert Lead through a 3X12 Fender Rhodes cabinet and later with an Ampeg V4 guitar head and 4X12 cabinet. Never hurt either rig, and the Ampeg was just flat out LOUD!!! I was too dumb to worry about the complexities of EQ'ing... just tweaked 'em till they sounded good and went for it...**

** 'Course, I don't think you could get away with this simplistic approach these days!! :)
  5. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    In general, it will sound lousy (no deep bass) and will ruin the speakers pretty quickly if you turn it up louder than any 25 watt bass practice amp can do.
  6. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    I used an old Traynor 100 watt guitar gead trough a fender mid -70's 2x15 speaker an entire tour. The backline guy tweaked it with new, more powerful tubes (I'm not sure exactly what he did). The setup sounded beautiful, with that slightly distorted low-middy PUNCH you really love for rock music. However, the setup wasn't quite loud enough (and this was a loud band, with two distorted guitars!), so I had the monitor technichan to give me some more of my bass in the monitors.
    Furthermore, I have used tube guitar heads on multiple studio sessions, to get that growly, distorted sound. It usually works well, but IMHO, you need to use proper bass speakers to make it work. With guitar speakers, you get that cheap "farty" sound
    instead, which on the other hand might be just what you're looking for!:p
  7. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Yeah, should have been clearer, I was talking about speakers, not about heads. As I have noted elsewhere, in 1970 I blew a full Marshall stack (2 4x12s) in about 45 minutes of not-very-loud bass playing, and have been a firm believer in bass amps for bass ever since.

Re. heads, I am of the camp that you need 300 or 400 watts to get the headroom you really need for bass, even played not very loud, but that's another discussion.
  8. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Well, to get a clean sound you need loads of headroom, on that I agree.
    But bear in mind that most sound techs like you to keep your amp cranked down when playing live. In those cases, 1000+ bass amp setups are a waste.

Re. blowing a Marshall rig: is the guitar player still after you? :)
  9. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    1000 watts+ amps, that is...:rolleyes:
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I love the sound I get out of my Fender Sidekick Reverb amp. Especially for fretless.

I also use it as a preamp, or in the effects loop for some extra overdrive.

It has planty of bass, even when playing through the combos own speaker.

I would even go as far as to say that the sound of my cheap plywood fretless bass and amp is my second favorite fretless tone. (Yes, even better than the Zon, Pedulla, and Fender) I only like the EB MM sterling with piezos better.

I guess the plywood and the fretless complement each other, just as the fretless and guitar amp do.