1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you received a check for ($14,789.53) what would you get?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 1SHOT1HIT, Jun 2, 2012.

1. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Just received word this morning that some money will be clearing around the end of August.

So first lets be realistic and chip away at the necessities. As there are plenty of them currently and this will be a huge relief. However we will not need all to get caught up.

2 of 3 children's birthdays in August.
    May as well knock X-Mas out too.
    Vehicle maintenance needs.
    Clothing for kids school and supplies for September.
    Maybe a few months payments on the house/car/Ins.

Estimated expense:::::::probably about half of it.
    So I'm left with lets say $7,300.00

Since bass is what I'm currently into pretty obsessively and I see the high end stuff as somewhat of a decent investment.
    I'm leaning towards buying myself something.

These are my ideas so far.

Skip any bass related stuff and finally buy my g/f an engagement ring. Even though after my ex, I said I'd NEVER do it again and she really doesn't seem to be into marriage anyway. Not that she'd mind it, just not the type to have all the big wedding plans at all. I'm sure she'd still appreciate it though.

Custom Shop Fender Jazz bass made to my specs. Or,

Another really nicely refinished Pre CBS Jazz bass. Or,

I currently have a Fender BXR 100 15" Combo and want to step up. So
    Some kinda head and Cabinet set up. I don't plan on ever gigging but would definitely like the option to crank it up & tickle the cute neighbor once in a while.
    I was thinking Ampeg since I hear so much about them, just don't know enough to make a decision yet.

Really like the idea of the Fearful DIY stuff also. Or,

Then there's tons of other things that are not bass related but I see no need to go into those here.

So if you had $7,300.00 and all your bills were caught up what would you buy?

2. How fun! Remember, this is ONLY what I would do...

I would first make sure that 1/3 of it is set aside for tax purposes if needed.

Then I would check out one of the new Fender Super Bassman heads and cabs. I love my SVT, but that thing is awesome!

I know. Wrong answer for Basses section.

3. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    Do I have to tell my wife? ;)

4. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Owner, Handlebar Moustache In Memoriam

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    I don't know if I could give a huge chunk of money over to Fender when you can go custom. You don't need to go all fancy coffee table (I just did though, CB in progress woot, woot.) Look into one of the other high end Jazz style builders. You know 'em, Sadowsky and such....

5. I would put at least $5,000 in the bank and forget about ever touching it.

Then go play with the rest. But no way in heck I would blow anywhere near that on one bass. They are not investments unless they are really old ones, and even that is sketchy.

6. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    A great starting point would be to try out any bass or amp that you can find that's within your price range and pick some favorites. I think $7500 is plenty more than you should need to spend, especially if you buy used.

7. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    is that before or after the hookers and blow allocation?

8. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I'd give Carl Thompson a call.

9. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Q1. How many months worth of living expenses do you have stashed away? If less than 3, that's priority #1

Q2. Do you have to call it "an engagement ring" ? Nothing wrong with sharing your good fortune and buying her something nice, but no need to stick a label on it unless that's what you both want.

after that ...

... $1.5 - $2k at the Carvin website will buy you a very nice bass tailored to what you want. Another $600 will buy you a head that is pretty much overkill for any gig you'll ever play.

... a long weekend away somewhere nice with the woman you love and some memories that'll last forever

... and why not make a fEarful? not only a killer cab, but new tools and new skills to go with them

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    take the family to Maui,...Doh!:confused:

11. Mr. Furlanetto, sir, would you please build me a BN5 with buckeye burl top, 18 mm string spacing, ebony board, peizos in the bridge, inlaid mapleleaf serial# instead of the cheesy sticker, and toss in a dozen sets of your stings while we're at it, please!

12. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Did just that . . . had a settlement of $13,900 . . . bought two five string basses - not top-of-the-line boutique basses, but real good basses for $2300: 1. a 2010 Lakland 55-60 Custom (blocks and binding), TSB, maple fretboard; and, 2. a 2011 Fender American Standard Precision V, white, rosewood fretboard. I also bought a good lightweight combo amp (as a semi-suitable sub for my usual, much heavier Eden gigging rig) - a GK MB212, 500 watts, 2x12, 37 pounds ($599). Also picked up an Eden WTDI ($150).
    Yeah, had to buy the wife a few things too . . . she spent about $4k of it on, well of course - clothes!
    The rest is in the bank!

13. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    Hey 1SHOT Hope all's good with the beauty that you uncovered. Aka the Shell Pink Stack Knob that I dream about finding the way you did lol. But, I would like to tell you that I got the chance to play a stack knob last week! My god, the best tonal experience I've ever had with a bass! But, the important stuff haha.

Honestly 7300 is a crazy amount of money. I would definitely upgrade your amp situation after you shop around and try out a ton of the different amp manufactures out there to see what you really vibe with. Personally, I've been disappointed by every single Fender Custom Shop bass I've laid hands on, and I once dreamed of owning one, so those dreams are gone because the Fender that I had appealed to me more in all aspects than the 10 or so Fender CS that I've played. So as far as the bass department, I doubt you'll be able to get a better bass, at least I think than you have. If anything try different types of basses rather than the J-bass style and see if anything suits your fancy. PERSONALLY, I would schedule a visit with Lakland because I've only heard great things about their custom shop and the (USA) instruments they produce.

Biggest thing I'd advise with any sum of money reasonably big (1k-ish) even to pretty darn big (7.3k cash) be sure no matter how much you're spending on it, that you really like it. Don't get suckered by agressive salesmen, and never tell them how much money you have. Just say you're in the market and interested.

Hope that is somewhat of a help.

Best regards,

Brooks

14. I'd spend $1500 on gear and bank the rest. The peace of mind knowing you've got $5800 squirreled away in the bank is priceless! ;)

15. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Yep, she's well aware of it but could really care less as long as bills and needs are met first.

16. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    After the check was actually for 19K I had a great 2 days planned out. Lol

17. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Roth IRA

18. nibs208

nibs208

Sep 10, 2007
    Dude you gotta get a Wal. Thats what I'd do.

19. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    I wish it was a stack knob but no it's the VVT style controls.
    There's pics of it in the Pre CBS thread.

20. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Inactive Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Big +1!

Moonshine :bassist: