If you thought the 80's was a big pile of suck, have you reconsidered anything?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lordradish, May 3, 2021.

1. +1 on the Police.

dkelley and ugly_bassplayer like this.
  2. I worked with a very commercial band in 81-82. After that, I never listened to much of anything other than some musical project I was working with until 2011. And at that, I’m not thrilled with what’s put there.

Having recently moved from Virginia to the greater St. Louis area, my wife stumbled across a station that plays rock music from all over the world. It’s pretty cool what’s out there.

3. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    if you're into prog, Mike Rutherford was still a badass in the 80s

dkelley, Polk Salad and Loring like this.
  4. spatters

spatters

Mar 25, 2002
    DUDE.

Mike Watt.
    Greg Norton.
    Rob Wright.
    Joe Lally.

Come on.

Edit, to tag OP @lordradish

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    DJ Bebop, 20GLJazz and PWRL like this.
  5. lordradish

lordradish Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    I think his bass playing has always been criminally underrated. His guitar playing.... meh.

dkelley likes this.
  6. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    Yeah, not my thing.

7. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    They 80’s had more than their share of moments worth remembering!

dkelley likes this.
  8. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    Speaking of Pino/Paul Young, this bass line kills it! Fretless mastery.

dkelley and alack like this.
  9. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    More Pino coolness

dkelley likes this.
  10. Max

Max

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    London Calling is considered an 80's album although it was released in December 1979.
    INXS was a killer rock and roll band in the 80's.
    IMO, the Stones were at their best live during the Steel Wheels tour.
    Elvis Costello put out some great albums in the 80's. Blood & Chocolate in 1986.
    Crowded House produced some beautiful records.
    Another vote for XTC and Colin Moulding.
    Smiths
    REM
    Springsteen and Tom Petty put out some good albums.
    Replacements
    There were MTV flashes in the pan for sure. Those kind of stick out and make the decade 'bad'.

dkelley and Picton like this.
  11. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    All good with me. I’ll play in Lawrence Welk tribute if there’s an engaged crowd and decent venues.

12. wheelsup247

wheelsup247 Wherever You Go, There You Are. Wear it low. Gold Supporting Member

Sure, I agree that the 80’s (and any decade for that matter) has its share of sub-par music...though after all it was actually human beings perfectly imperfectly playing instruments. Compare that with today’s perfectly digital auto-tuned vocals, perfectly quantized tempos to the millisecond, digital loops, endless cut and paste post-production arrangements and rearrangements. Which one has more musicianship? There is no wrong answer. Just depends where your roots lie.

PsyDocHill, dkelley and 31HZ like this.
  13. A lot of music in the 80’s, especially what got programmed on most radio, did indeed suck. A lot.

But there was also so much good music too. TL DR the whole 11 pages; but on the first page no one had mentioned TwoTone! And then The Clash. Plus a lot of other stuff. I first saw King Sunny Ade live in the 80’s. I am sure there are a million examples in the depths here.

But the radio was not that happening. At least where I live.

14. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet?

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    What about Ozzy's 1st and 2nd solo albums? Dio's 1st and 2nd solo albums? All of the 80's Queensryche, Iron Maiden and Metallica? Rush had a few really good albums too? The 80's hate really gets to me sometimes. I think every decade has horrible music. Especially the top 40. I think you have to dig in and check out the less commercially successful bands to find the most interesting stuff.

StevieMac, dkelley and Moosehead1966 like this.
  15. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I loved that album and that was before I knew anything about Marcus Miller or Will Lee.

bass12 likes this.
  16. VolverseLoco

VolverseLoco Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2018
    Las Vegas
    When you see a little 8 year old girl on YouTube, doesnt matter from what country, and they are showing off their mind blowing guitar playing virtuosity, what are they usually playing? 80's metal. I dont think their parents (or grandparents perhaps) had anything to do with it either. Those little kids know whats up.

dkelley likes this.
  17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Last year, JT did some "kinda low tech" videos on his bass parts on some Duran Duran songs. Very informative & greatly appreciated! IIRC, there's a thread with the links.
    IIRC, he gives drummer Roger Taylor some kind words about upping the groove on some of them. I like that early era of DD...never really gave much thought to the drum parts, though.

dkelley likes this.
  18. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    To say any decade's music "sucks" is just small minded and lacks ambition on one's part.
    To say "it sucked, I hated it" and the go on to list 10 or so great bands, bass players, basslines, is just confusing.

PsyDocHill and dkelley like this.
  19. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I agree with many of the ones already mentioned:
    Sting - The Police
    John Taylor - Duran Duran
    Tony Levin - Peter Gabriel
    Mark King - Level 42
    Pino - Paul Young

One that I haven't yet seen mentioned is Deon Estus (had to look the guy's name up) with Wham! and the first couple George Michael solo albums. Listen the the basslines of "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go", "Faith" and "Freedom! 90" for good examples.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  20. sxaxsx

sxaxsx

May 23, 2012
    Harrisburg PA
    I don't listen to music just for the bass. There is a lot of music I like from the 80's but its not the bass player that makes me like it so I'm in no way saying any of these are great bass albums, but as far as artists that made good music in the 80's that didn't suck...
    Pixies, Violent Femmes, Elvis Costello, Tom Petty, Metallica, Operation Ivy, Husker Du, the Smiths, Tom Waits, Steve Earle, Queen, etc. there was lots of music being made not just the glam rock and new wave.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021