If you thought the 80's was a big pile of suck, have you reconsidered anything?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lordradish, May 3, 2021.

1. lordradish

lordradish Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    Exactly. Which is why I don't like it. I generally am not about 'fun' with music. I know I'm odd in that regard, but the whole rock ethos thing of the sex/drugs/rock n roll/love song thing stopped appealing to me around my mid-teens, so you can only imagine how I feel about it at 50. I'm a serious guy. What you hate about the 60's and 70's is exactly why I found that music so appealing. I don't dislike fun. I find listening and playing to serious music incredibly fun.

Different strokes and all that, etc

ajkula66 and two fingers like this.
  2. Black Out Jazz

Black Out Jazz Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    Repoman was great, too.

3. I haven't seen that one, I'll check it out, thanks.

20GLJazz likes this.
  4. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I remember recognizing “Perfect Way” from Miles’ Tutu album (I guess I heard the original on the radio when it came out) and I bought Cupid & Psyche 85 on vinyl used probably fifteen years ago. But I only got around to actually listening to it this year. I must have listened to it a good thirty times so far! On a related note: David Gamson was an integral part of that group (at the time) and he went on to produce Meshell’s first two albums (of which I’m a big fan).

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Let's at least admit the 60s and 70s had more than their share of cheesy bubblegum pop and disco. Psychedelic music (along with the outfits and lyrics that went along with it) was nothing short of ridiculous.

But, yes, different strokes.

6. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Wow, I never heard that version before! What an odd choice for Miles.

7. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I had to learn “Wake Me Up...” a couple of years ago and, although I’d heard the song countless times, I’d never paid much attention to the bass line. It’s great and was apparently the rehearsal take.

8. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I would suspect the Marcus connection had something to do with it.

Wisebass likes this.
  9. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    All I can say is, if you hated an entire decade, or can't find some good tunes for 10 years. I'd hate to live in your head. There are good and bad songs in any and every year - if you can't find something you like, change the radio station or look elsewhere to buy your tunes.

I'm 63, and although I was alive and listening to music in the 70's, I didn't get stuck there.

10. Black Out Jazz

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    The Producers played the gym a bunch of times at Dekalb College(in Ga) before they made it big. It cost 50 cents to get in.

JimK likes this.
  11. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Most of the music I grew up loving in the 80's I don't care much for now.

Likewise, some stuff I ignored back then I enjoy nowadays as my tastes have matured.

U2, The Cure, Genesis and the Police are constants. I loved them then, I love them even more now.

But really the same holds true for the 70's, 90's and 2000s as well.

Dasgre0g likes this.
  12. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    Oh yes, for every cheesy 80's band there was a 1910 Fruitgum Company in the 60's or a Donny Osmond in the 70's. No decade has a monopoly on cheese.

13. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    Oh, I didn't write off the entire decade. Hardly. Just think it pales to what came before it.

ajkula66 likes this.
  14. Shepsdad

Shepsdad

Sep 22, 2019
    I believe it was 1985, Market square arena in Indianapolis. It was the second time I had seen AC/DC, they were supporting their “fly on the wall” album. I can’t even put into words how absolutely crushing their sound was, deafeningly loud, but you could hear everything, non-stop for at least two hours. When the lights came up at the end of the night, everybody was just shellshocked, beaten into submission. It was glorious!

I never really thought the 80s sucked, but that night in Indy made the whole decade worthwhile for me.

DrMole, Wisebass and jymyben like this.
  15. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    This is my favorite version. She kills it. But then again, she kills pretty much everything she plays.

16. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    I don't know if anyone mentioned Rush yet?
    Permanent Waves - 1980, Moving Pictures - 1981, Signals - 1982.
    How about Depeche mode? Glad to hear Level 42 mentioned! Mark King is awesome!

I grew up in the 80's.....I get to be called one of the first millennials.
    I didn't own a PC until 1994.

I heard a ton of 80's music through my Dad's 1979 Cutlass Oldsmobile Delco stereo.
    I miss the days of when cars and serious horsepower, loads of metal, especially a solid metal bumper which lots of pickups still have, and a course a massive footprint. Definitely not as cool as say a 1954 Mustang or the same year Cadillac....but I wasn't even born then! Car shows showed me these vehicles, I didn't experience them.

The interesting thing is a lot of 80's music is still being played today, so what does that say?
    The masses apparently still like it or maybe it's someone like me that keeps requesting it! LOL!
    How many people still listen to the radio? I have to ask!

I can definitely understand why many musicians don't 80's music, it was a very different time.
    Lots of keyboard and synth! I enjoy lots of bands from the 80's! And lots of people don't.
    It's definitely not all I like.
    Hoping the pandemic creates a new story arc in the world of music for this decade!

dkelley likes this.
  17. Ah, Kimberly, love me some Mrs. John Murphy :)

That P tone, that voice!

[​IMG]

20GLJazz likes this.
  18. Mikey Craig Of Culture Club

NINTCHDBPICT000636644566.jpg

bass12 likes this.
  19. Black Out Jazz

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated

I heard a lot of fretted notes while barechested boy had both hands off the bass... :D

DJ Bebop likes this.
  20. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    Exene is adorable in this clip...always loved this appearance.

DJ Bebop and 20GLJazz like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021