1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you thought the 80's was a big pile of suck, have you reconsidered anything?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lordradish, May 3, 2021 at 6:34 AM.

1. Redd Hatt

Redd Hatt

Mar 18, 2021
    Massachusetts
    Paul Simon's Graceland changed forever how I viewed bass playing.
    Still groove to the crunchy bass on the Go-Go's Our Lips are Sealed, the Fixx, INXS, Power Station,etc. Double Trouble, ZZ Top, Duran Duran, Teaveling Wilburys, Talking Heads, Police, Fleetwood Mac, Adrian Belew, U2, the Clash, Roger Waters......I don't know. The 80's were kind of a heyday musically imho.... despite Puttin on the Ritz and Jungle Boy.

20GLJazz, sears, Loring and 3 others like this.
  2. Marillion and It Bites did their best in the 80's and Suzanne Vega's Solitude Standing is a great album. Or not.

sears, Wisebass and DJ Bebop like this.
  3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Loathed most of the synth laden pop of the time when I was less mature, now it’s nostalgic to the point of tear jerking.

4. basslayer

basslayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    I'm a reggae musician, so I don't have this problem.

Matthijs, SgtHulka, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  5. Outshined91

Outshined91 Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Connecticut
    @lordradish I've been exploring new wave and listening to it endlessly over the last year and let me tell you, coming from a total anti-new wave point of view (think grunge/jazz-fusion guy) new wave is quite possibly one of my (now) favorite genres. IMHO, I have never heard such inspirational, creative, truly melodic and great bass playing (outside of jazz, etc.) before; it completely changed how I play bass. That being said, some of my top bass recommendations have to be:
    Tony Levin with Peter Gabriel; check out the album So

Simon Gallup of The Cure; "Lovesong," "Fascination Street," "Primary" (Robert Smith plays 6-string bass on that one with Gallup)

Peter Hook of Joy Division/New Order: check out any JD, or any NO up to the album Regret. This is a biggie to understanding new wave bass IMO.

Andy Rourke from The Smiths; almost every song has some genius bass, often overlooked

Derek Forbes from Simple Minds; the album New Gold Dream is jaw-droppingly good - slap, fretless, pick melodies, etc.

Lastly, some standout songs for me are "Reptile" and "Under The Milky Way" by The Church, "Gloria" by U2, and "Watching The Detectives" by Elvis Costello. Actually check out any of the Costello albums with The Attractions (Bruce Thomas on bass) - they will blow your mind!

I realize some of these may be obvious suggestions, and that I can't make you like the stuff but check out what you don't recognize! Enjoy :D

Sanshiro, J R Knots, 20GLJazz and 5 others like this.
  6. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    The bridge in “Do You Really Want To Hurt Me” was what first made me sit up and take note of the bass. I saw Culture Club a couple of years ago and they were great.

7. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Michel Alibo with Salif Keita:

Redd Hatt and DJ Bebop like this.
  8. tenor.gif

Redd Hatt likes this.
  9. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    The early 80s is possibly my favourite period for reggae (with all due respect to Studio One) - thanks largely to the Roots Radics (though I also have a soft spot for a lot of UK reggae from that era as well).

basslayer and DJ Bebop like this.
  10. Polk Salad

Polk Salad Passenger, Ship of Fools Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Talkbass and The Gear Page are the perfect pairing of websites :rollno:

DJ Bebop and BadSanta1281 like this.
  11. Polk Salad

Polk Salad Passenger, Ship of Fools Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Thank you.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  12. And he was SO enthusiastic in his videos! JT LOVES playing bass, and he has AWESOME stories about how the songs came to be, and loves duran duran. Like TOTALLY loves it! it's very engaging!

Loring and JimK like this.
  13. Sailfish

Sailfish

Jan 14, 2020
    For the pop stuff, Billy Idol, XTC (I guess you can consider them as a rock band?), a few Elvis Costello albums (these can be a little light on bass), also, some really cool hip-hop started to come out, using sampled and original basslines, of course there is also all of the '80s metal (excluding hair bands, although some can be interesting), and also, if you're interested, playing synth bass lines can be really fun thing, it's interesting to work out the tones, and how exactly to play them.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  14. Does late 80s count? King's X debuted their first couple albums around 88 and 89 I think?

DrMole, Loring and DJ Bebop like this.
  15. Auspuff

Auspuff Supporting Member

Whatever. :meh:

Loring and DJ Bebop like this.
  16. I like everything from yacht rock to punk and metal, but at heart I’m mostly a power pop junkie. Give me some jangly guitars, a great hook or two with some good harmonies and I’m good to go. Lots of that in the 80s, so I can’t complain.

Redd Hatt likes this.
  17. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    So, in the 80's:

Lots of hits by Michael Jackson. He always had good bassists. Nathan East, Louis Johnson
    Lots of Hall and Oates with Tom Wolk
    Lots of Queen with John Deacon
    Lots of Wham and George Michael with Deon Estus
    Peter Gabriel with Tony Levin
    Sting, John Taylor

It wasn't that bad of decade for bass players.

18. Tim Craig

Tim Craig Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    I’m just thinking about how much time it took me to read that OP and how many arpeggios I could have played instead. Maybe once we get this 80’s thing resolved we can move on to a really substantive topic like toilet paper preferences.

Robot.G likes this.
  19. hooky_marr

hooky_marr Supporting Member

From my perspective, there’s no one “80s”. There were lots of different scenes, styles, influencers, and key producers.

One could say in terms of what Billboard would call mainstream (read: white) pop, “the 80s” started as far back as Roxy and Bowie, became concrete in the New Wave period, and the aesthetic had mostly peaked by 1984-1985, ushered in by Trevor Horn, Brian Eno / Daniel Lanois, Steve Lillywhite, Mutt Lange, etc.

The thing was, radio was really segregated back then. Rock stations rarely played pop and vice versa, and r&b / soul hits rarely crossed over into the mainstream. Charts were segregated into top 40 and “urban.”

I think this is what has caused a lot of us to overlook a small mountain of fantastic music (and bass playing).

Take the impact and influence of Dr. Buzzard’s Original Savannah Band, which took its cues from big band and swing, which begat Kid Creole & The Coconuts, with poppy, mutant disco influenced equally by Caribbean rhythms and Cab Calloway. Or r&b / funk groups like Lakeside, the Dazz Band, Slave, etc. Or Black British artists like Junior Giscombe, or the whole 2-Tone movement.

There’s like an entirely separate 80s that was kept separate for... bad reasons. (I could probably say the same about 80s latin / norteño etc)...

basslayer likes this.
  20. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    Just like all decades, there is good music and bad music. In my opinion, I’d rather listen to “Bringin’ On The Heartbreak” by Def Leppard than “I’m Henry the VIII, I Am” by Hermin’s Hermits

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021