1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you thought the 80's was a big pile of suck, have you reconsidered anything?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lordradish, May 3, 2021 at 6:34 AM.

1. SumOne

SumOne

Oct 26, 2017
    London, UK
    Not really a Bass playing thing but I think the most original and influential music to come from the 80's (and the most 80's sounding) was Electro, stuff like Hashim 'Al-Naafiysh (The Soul)' and Mantronix 'Needle to the Groove' it lay the groundwork for the majority of popular music that's been made since.

80's also had a fair bit of decent Reggae (and sub-genres like dub, digi-dub, steppas, dancehall) good 80's stuff from people like Aswad, Barrington Levy, Ini Kamoze, Dennis Bovell, Mad Professor.

....also, 80's was really the decade that Hip Hop really developed - possibly the most popular genre of music in the last 30 years..

bass12 likes this.
  2. TotP is all mimed. Just in case someone says something "unbroadcastable".

I was watching a video of the Guess Who doing something old the other day and while they tried really hard to make it look authentic it was obviously mimed.

Found it:

20GLJazz likes this.
  3. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    IMO, the most overlooked bassist of the 80's, albeit whom I consider amongst the most innovative, is one Tony Butler (Big Country)! If this doesn't awaken the proud Celtic roots in the humblest of men (guitars sounding like bagpipes :jawdrop:), I don't know what will! Check his percussive string mute strumming in the verse sections herein:

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 7:04 AM
    Semi Actuated likes this.
  4. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    So, you offer a comment on a comment? ... There's originality. ...

5. Loring

Loring Supporting Member

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Or a comment on a comment on a comment!

OMG this is inception all over again!

6. I agree. Some of the lyrics were down right silly.

7. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Disco backlash had a lot to do with that, unfortunately. Regardless, the music I was hearing on mainstream radio in the ‘80s was a heck of a lot more diverse than what I hear on mainstream radio today.

DrMole, TinIndian, Loring and 2 others like this.
  8. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    What does that even mean. Is it better that you are offering a comment on a comment on a comment?

Loring likes this.
  9. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    This was all part of what made the ‘80s exciting for me (both at the time and in retrospect). Electro-funk, post-disco/house, reggae, hip-hop, go-go, techno, etc. were all colliding in some really interesting ways and resulting in some very cool - and original sounding - records.

TinIndian, SumOne and Loring like this.
  10. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    Nope, been playing since I was 12, years of music theory, horn player, keys, bass. Like all types, including jazz, oldies, classic rock, country, except classical. Yes, even a little of the 80's music.

11. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    You have 2 questions and I'll answer only the first one, the general one.

Yes, at age 69, I've reconsidered 80s music. It's not that I disliked all of it when it first came out but here we are in 2021 and mainstream music, well.........I'll zip my mouth.

So, has music gotten so bad that 80s stuff now sounds good or have I aged and become wiser and more accepting?

I have a cheap 2 book shelf speaker stereo system in the garage and I listen to an oldies station out of Newark, Ohio FM 101.7 and they play 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s music. And I find myself enjoying songs from the 80s and 90s that I didn't use to care much for.

I think that we all change as we get older.

Nice thread!

Shepsdad and Redd Hatt like this.
  12. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I always thought that was a synth.

DrMole, Chickenwheels and Redd Hatt like this.
  13. Redd Hatt

Redd Hatt

Mar 18, 2021
    Massachusetts
    Gary gave us the deets first hand!

DrMole, TinIndian, spatters and 3 others like this.
  14. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    One of my favorite bass players of the 1980s didn't even play bass! David Frank

Chickenwheels and bass12 like this.
  15. I almost forgot, some of the work David Foster was cranking out then as a writer arranger and producer was excellent.

16. Clank Plank

Clank Plank

Dec 26, 2020
    England
    Nearly all mimed. Iron Maiden refused to mime, and the odd act over the years did play for real, but most of it was mimed, and badly at that.

17. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    Motley Crue's first album, on Leathur Records, was super badass before it got remixed when they were signed to a major label, I suppose. Skid Row had some of the tastiest rock lead guitar in my book.

Thundertips likes this.
  18. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    I've never heard anything from Mr. Big. That was a jam. Badass.

Thundertips and 2112 like this.
  19. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    I'm not a huge fan of 80's metal. But every once in a while something comes along that grabs me. I absolutely love this song, the bass work, the video, everything about it. Much respect for Mr. Sheehan and company.

Loring and Billyzoom like this.
  20. The first Crue album was awesome. Too Fast For Love. I've heard the original. It's really raw, almost like a punk album. It's better than the remix for sure. I agree about Skid Row. Scotti Hill is one of those lead players who plays melodically by picking out chord tones in his solos to match the chord changes. That's really hard to do. Most guys just rip on scales in a certain key instead of following the chords. The solo in I Remember You is amazing.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021