1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you thought the 80's was a big pile of suck, have you reconsidered anything?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lordradish, May 3, 2021 at 6:34 AM.

1. Yep, The System are awesome.
    Seriously, I spend most of my ear practice time learning synth bass lines on electric. It’s freaking awesome.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  2. The Hook 1988

The Hook 1988

Oct 7, 2019
    No you got your dates confused. The 80's were fine......what we have at present is a massive pile of suck......

3. Always there has been good stuff happening. You just gotta listen.

One 80’s example? Killing Joke.

Robot.G likes this.
  4. Robot.G

Robot.G Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Michigan
    None

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. 2112

Apr 30, 2005

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    Totally agree, it's that 80's sound. I grew up in the '80's, and I didn't like those sounds when they were new, and they sound really bad to me now.
    There are exceptions but that "recorded in a sewer" reverb sound ruins the stuff.

markjazzbassist likes this.
  7. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    The 80's was polluted by adequacy rather than specialty.
    When MTV used to be MTV, the new 24 hour cycle gobbled up every available video very quickly so bands that were not unique, or had something of value to offer made it to a level of exposure that forced familiarity and therefore, market share. Bands that would have flopped had top 10 hits.

Best of the bad bunch became the new standard. That is why there were no Zeppelins, Cream or Deep Purple's established in the 80's.

8. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    U2, REM, and Michael Jackson would probably disagree with you here.

You don’t have to like them, but they’re certainly influential and important.

Loring, Redd Hatt and coy garcia like this.
  9. 20GLJazz

20GLJazz Supporting Member

I think everyone generalizing 80s music is rather narrow minded. We have a classic rock FM and a low power alternative station here in Atlanta. I don't listen to 60s or 70s (97.1FM The River) ever. Ever. 59 years old. All I listen to on the radio the TOSOTR (The Other Side of the River 97.7) which is also streamed on iheart. New wave, punk, alternative, some grunge-I'm not that big of a fan- has some of the greatest bass lines you could listen to. An example, The Smiths, and then Morrissey bassist Andy Rourke. The dude is awesome. Give him a listen. Sure, disco sucked. We know this. Disco was a teeny weeny tiny part of 80s music.

Robot.G and Picton like this.
  10. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I think the reason that there were no Zeppelins, Creams or Deep Purples established in the ‘80s is that the available technology of the era pushed popular music in a different direction. Of course, there’s also the fact that the members of the record buying public who came of age in the ‘80s didn’t necessarily want to be listening the same kinds of bands that their parents were listening to. But there was plenty of talent that came out of the ‘80s - and plenty of great albums.

Loring, Joshua, Picton and 3 others like this.
  11. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm 66 and I can't remember a year that I would walk into a record/music shop and not find a lot of good music to buy. ;):D

Passinwind, 20GLJazz, Joshua and 3 others like this.
  12. 1988

Last edited: May 6, 2021 at 6:36 PM
    Loring likes this.
  13. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    I saw DoReMi for the first time at the Mona Vale Hotel in Sydney in?? Above the stage were draped parachutes to catch the light, the band were in Tuxes and Deborah Conway was out front singing in a flamenco dress and for the first time I realised how visual impact could affect a gig - even just at a local pub. The musicianship was impeccable and I loved the sound and the songs and still do. The bass player, Helen Carter, just made the sound. Precision, pick right up at the bridge and fantastic note control. Sydney was full of amazing bands in the '80s. The Laughing Clowns, Second Language, Poles Apart and Tactics and many others, Wow.

Wisebass likes this.
  14. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I couldn't tolerate most of the '80s music, fashion and upcoming mentality when it was happening, let alone now when my patience has grown significantly thinner.

The bright side of an otherwise mostly musically dull period was the fact that it turned me onto stuff that I likely wouldn't have started exploring as early as I did.

Was there anything worth remembering from a musical standpoint ? Of course. "Operation: Mindcrime" is still one of my favourite albums of all times, 30+ years later, and there's a few more. I got to see quite a few great bass players perform live during that decade, but that doesn't change my general dislike of it one bit.

Looking back, not much good could've been expected from a decade which started by taking away both Ian Curtis and John Lennon in a single year.

Loring likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    The only thing I don't like about the 80's were cheesy and thin sounding digital synths and samplers. Was not a big fan of hair metal, either. But in any era of music, including today, there is greatness, there is OKness, and there is suckage. We may disagree on what qualifies as what, but if you think any era was uniquely awesome or special, it's likely because you remember what you want and try to forget the rest.

16. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I don't know if he's been mentioned yet but Doug Wimbish was killing it in the '80s as part of the Sugar Hill Records house band (and beyond):

That's the Joint - YouTube

Loring and Bob_Ross like this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021