If you use a foot rest, is there one you like?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by Sbassman Scratch, Aug 13, 2019.

1. I keep one in my practice room,it makes playing sitting down more comfortable. It's a folding metal ProLine, but it's not very stable, gets knocked over easily.

shopping.jpeg.jpg

The wooden Cordoba model doesn't get very good reviews.

I was thinking of using an old shoe shine box, but they are pretty bulky.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    I play classical guitar on the side and use a classical guitar foot stand. Was cheap at local music store back in '80's and is quite comfy and adjustable to whatever height is needed. It is also angled, perfect for players.

3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I use a similar metal footrest.

I had one when learning classical guitar in the 80s but got lost somewhere in my Mom's house. Then, just recently (like one or two years ago) I purchased another one for practicing bass, as I've come to a conclusion that it's quite comforting playing my bass guitar with classical guitar style position, especially when playing my 7 strings bass.

Yes, it's not stable if you would knock it. Still, I don't have any problem with this.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Have you looked at guitar supports that attach to the instrument and allow you to keep both feet on the floor and your hips square? Most classical guitarists these days prefer them over a traditional footstool which can cause hip and back alignment problems. Playing ABGs for many years I’ve tried different footstools and a bunch of different supports. If your bass has a wide enough body the Gitano is a great compact support. Before discovering it the Ergoplay was my fav. For typical solid body instruments the Neckup Mini Narrow Body is the only one I’ve found that works well on a narrow solid body. The Tenuto Pro 2 is very similar to the Gitano but appears to be narrow enough for a solid body...I might have to order one to see. (note. I’m not endorsing any of the retailers in these links just using them for reference).

To answer your question about footstools when I still used them I preferred the more solid feel of the folding wood ones over any of the metal ones I ever had. Once I started using supports though I never went back to a footstool.

sears likes this.
  5. Interesting. I had not heard of these. Thanks Jeff. The Neckup is a possibility since I swap guitars and move around a bit.

Jeff Bonny likes this.
  6. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I've found a nine inch chunk of a 4x8 header to be quite stable.

7. Yeah, I was thinking about taping a couple foam yoga blocks together. Light and stable.

kevinpmajka likes this.
  8. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    One of these days I'm gonna invest in a Roc N Soc stool with the optional footrest. Thats a really nice solution.

9. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    footrest decor.jpg

I made one from a few pieces of ash glued together and painted. Prettied it up with some amp corners and logos. It weighs a ton but works well. All the parts and wood I had laying around, so it really didn't cost me anything.

10. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    ^^^
    Cool.:thumbsup:

mapleglo likes this.
  11. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    [​IMG]

12. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Sorry but this is the first thing that came to mind....
    2D589BF5-6444-4603-A56C-79D78DBDDBCB.jpeg

13. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Theyre made a couple towns over. I need to stop by and try it out.

Attached Files:

Jeff Bonny likes this.
  14. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    If you make it over there have a look at the Foot Ring attachment too.

15. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    the foot ring looks nice but only seems to work with the non collapsing/fixed base. I'm digging the folding legs for the better schlep factor. I'm just wondering if the foot peg is large enough to provide enough 'purchase' to be comfortable on a 3 hour gig.

Jeff Bonny likes this.
  16. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Why not just use a strap while sitting?
    Snapshot_20180520.JPG

17. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    It's not the same. Compared to the bass just sitting on your leg the strap restricts positioning a lot more. For example looking at this pic it seems like his left wrist would be more comfortable if the bass was angled away from his body slightly. But with the bass supported as it is that'd be difficult. Without the strap you can make these kinds of subtle horizontal plane adjustments as you're playing.

18. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Been meaning to make one out of plywood and 2x4 scrap, good enough for my crappy playing.

19. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I gave up on the cheap ProLine foot rest and its marginal stability. Even when I didn’t knock it over, it never felt stable under my foot. I opted to lower my butt rather than raise my foot. I picked up a cheap portable keyboard bench and drilled additional bolt holes to let it sit lower so I don’t need a foot rest.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Sbassman Scratch likes this.
  20. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Yup. And every once in a while one flips over, landing you squarely on your ass in the mosh pit. The trick is to keep playing like you meant that to happen.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021