1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you use a pick.......

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Rickett Customs, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Yes.

26 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. No.

37 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Carrots don't make good picks.

13 vote(s)
    14.1%
  4. I don't use a pick, I just wanted to vote.

31 vote(s)
    33.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I do use a pick "part time", but the discussion at hand on this one is:

Do you use an alternative material for a pick?
    I've found out lately, that I get a rather "tight percussive" sound when I tried a deutschmark, too round at first, but once I ground it down (to a pick shape), it makes an awesome pick.

Anyone use something different than your usual "store bought" picks?

2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I am primarily a pick player and the only "other" thing I use is my fingers (held together like you were holding a pick, but then just using tip of my finger like a pick) When I do use the pick it has to be bigger and thin to get that twangy midrange I like.

3. kickupthejam

kickupthejam

Feb 22, 2008
    Perth
    Ok, this may sound weird, but hear me out. About five months ago, I came across a ukulele pick. They're made out of a kind of felt fabric, so they deliver a far more mellow and soft tone than a regular pick. They are pretty big, so get used to a larger than normal pick. I find it really helps for the more melodic player that enjoys a good double or tripple-stop.

4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    That actually sounds pretty cool! Ukulele huh? Hmmm...

5. I used to have a felt pick that was with my dad's old Harmony uke.

As far as picks- I prefer the nylon picks with patterns or lettering. I prefer nylon because they don't get "ruts" in them, and I like having a "grippy" surface. Not much tonal consideration.

6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I have one of those and until now I had no idea what it was! Just thought it was a big, felt pick. Who knew? :confused:

7. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I only use a pick when I want/need that tone and other than that I prefer fingerstyle. When I do use a pick I like a Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0mm, however I recently bought a pack of felt picks (I think they were Dunlops also). They do give a much softer attack and a mellower tone so it's nice to have that option. I like them.

However, I've also found that the picking end gets compacted pretty quickly and then you'll get a sharper attack and more conventional pick-like tone. But I don't use picks often, so it takes a while for me to wear one down to that level and when it does I've turned the pick around to use one of the other "corners".

8. Morkolo

Morkolo

Aug 11, 2003
    Newfoundland
    I usually use an Orange Dunlop (Tortex I believe it is, the one with the turtle on it). Lately I've been using a jellyfish pick, but not the way you're supposed to I find it completely useless that way. I use the part you hold on to and not the fibers, gives it a different sound.

9. When I say Japanther play a couple years ago, the bass player was using a credit card for a pick. Like, a whole one :D

10. Rawkabilly

Rawkabilly

May 4, 2007
    Central IL
    My favorite pick is a Dunlop Tortex in 1.14mm(the purple one). I tried a felt pick once. They're cool, but if you play hard like I do, the fuzz wears off pretty quick.

11. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Felt picks for bass were commonplace in the olden days. I bet a lot of us old dudes used them.

12. Rawkabilly

Rawkabilly

May 4, 2007
    Central IL
  13. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    I've been playing with a leather pick lately. Very similar to the felt, but lasts a bit longer after a bit of modification. I took some full grain leather, filleted it open, and put a few drops of polyester resin (fiberglass resin) between the 2 fillets to stick them back together, and to add a bit of backbone to help the leather stay stiffer a bit longer. It worked nicely, but I need to make a few more, I just tossed my last one over the weekend. But they work great... by design, one side is fuzzy, and makes for the best grip.

14. Mr Venus

Mr Venus Guest

Aug 23, 2005
    I use picks all the time, and a Wedgie rubber pick occasionally for a more muted sound. They do them in three degrees of hardness, and I use the hardest (or least soft, more appropriately) of them. They work well but wear out and leave little bits on rubber on the bass.

15. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I used a dried scale from a fish onetime.

16. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i use metal picks.

i started using brass ones, but moved on to stainless steel.

very bright, percusive, bell like tone. sounds mean with a little overdrive.

aluminum ones are ok, but they're kind of sticky feeling. the brass ones are fine but not as bright sounding as the stainless. plus they require a little breaking in. the stainless ones DO NOT WEAR AT ALL. i've been using the same one for a year. they are a little slippery so i filed some scratches in the half that i hold.

17. I use metal picks sometimes, the ones normally used for 5-string banjo, including the thumb pick. It's like playing with 4 picks, very fast and very percussively. It took me some time to master, but then it helped I've been playing banjo for a few years.

18. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Depends on the sound you are looking for...felt, tortoise shell, various types/thicknesses of plastic, silver & the good old jellyfish

19. My Father would use the clip from the bread bag when I was a kid. I don't use a pick right now, but I think that I need to develope my technique for when jamming acoustically with my ABG. To this end I tried out a felt pick with a Dean Markley playmate and it was not as much of a difference in volume as I would have hoped although it was a good sound.

CB

CB

20. My instructor showed me a leather-wrapped pick recently. I believe there's an actual plastic pick inside, covered by leather. It sounded a lot like fingerstyle! I'm not sure where you buy them, but I'd like to have a couple.