1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you use a pick.......

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Rickett Customs, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Yes.

26 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. No.

37 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Carrots don't make good picks.

13 vote(s)
    14.1%
  4. I don't use a pick, I just wanted to vote.

31 vote(s)
    33.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    Yeah, I've looked around to see where you can buy them. I've found some that were similar to what I made, but they seem a little stiffer (like you said, a pick in the middle). I should give them a try anyway.

The ones I've been making are great, but they are admittedly a bit "floppy" for a pick. that's why I've been playing with putting fiberglass resin inside the leather to stiffen it a bit. If I put a coat on the outside, it is as stiff as I want it, but it sounds just like a regular pick and doesn't have the cool suede grip.

2. SkulliesBass

SkulliesBass Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Long Island N.Y.
    Dunlop Tortex .88 , the green ones. Best pick I've used by far.

3. yaniv

yaniv

Oct 26, 2006
    i use the jim dunlop jazz 3 XL picks usually,and when i can,i borrow a friend's tortex .88mm (the green one) and i agree,this is the best bass pick ever created!!

4. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Or you could tan some of your own skin & use it.

5. clayton Black jazz in 1.26 when and if I start cramping up I like the dunlop nylon 88's

6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Dunlop .73mm Standards, the yellow ones, they make my Thunderbirds sound like a big angry piano.