Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If you wanna get them dancin' play a DB

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by farmerdude, Mar 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. .

I have played lots of music with lots of bands and have doubled throughout. Nothing gets the audience smiling and dancing or just downright paying attention to the music than when I play the DB. That tone is undeniable. It’s too bad that society has been weaned from this instrument and has grown use to the sterile sound of an EB. Even the site of a DB...well the majority don’t even know what it is. (Hence..."is that a cello?"..."That’s a big guitar!", etc..) It wasn't that long ago that the DB was the bass.

I am not trying to say EB sucks...I own some of those to. I am just wondering how we went from there to here and would like to see the DB popping up more in today’s music.

Why are people so scared to attempt the DB?
    Based on what I have read on TB, the past year or so, it is something to the effect of 1. Price 2. Size 3. It’s hard.
    Right off we can eliminate price. Hell, they have imitation electric DBs which cost more than most DBs I have owned...trust me, you can find a workable DB to fit your budget.
    Now #2, yes they are big but it is a pleasure to carry such an instrument around. Bass players are use to carrying big stuff.., how bout all those ridiculous 810 cabs? Big goes with the bandwidth. Finally, #3. Yes it is a very difficult instrument to play. Yes, it is 1000x more difficult than EB.....ok let me once again remind you that not too long ago- the EB did not exist! Bass players learned the DB no problem. The extra effort will be rewarded with beautiful tone.

Now lets hear some DB

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

See, I don't care if someone is using a kazoo or an empty paint bucket(ever see/hear that street musician/kid in Georgetown?)
    My concern: Are they being musical with their chosen tool.

...and, in the grand scheme of thangs, it wasn't that long ago when the DB was the tuba.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    In my experience people (at least in a non-jazz setting) flip out over a DB only if the bassist does all those Stray Cats gymnastics. In a lot of situations you can't even clearly hear the DB, that's why some DBers started doing this stuff.
    People mostly don't really care about the instruments played. They want a good show and cool grooves/music, that's it.

Oh, and for the record, an EB doesn't sound sterile, at least not any more than a lot of DBs.

I like modern basses (and I don't mean Fenders) way too much, to get into DB.
    The EB has every right of existence, it is a valid instrument of its own. In the 50 years of its existence it has evolved at a breathtaking rate.

Come off your high horse... :rolleyes:

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I play DB, too. I'm not affraid of the instrument, but i'm intimidated by Double Bassist in general.

5. You play on a Modulus also? Cool man. You've got it down.

And to everyone that gave a collective "pffffft", I don't think farmerdude was trying to be insulting. He's a guy that knows his stuff, and stated how he feels. I know I personally would never play DB, but I respect anyone that does. They are a musican, and deserve respect.

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    ..after a few sentances, i added a southern drawl to my internal voice when reading farmerdude's post! just seemed to help me understand it better (...)

i like the DB, too. it sure is a completely different animal, though! it's like i have to learn everything over again, which is kinda irritating.

but i haven't played DB since i broke it's G string on the first day of school.:(

(and my school doesn't even have a pickup for it, which is even more discouraging)

i definitely want to be good at playing "the doghouse" by the time i graduate.

it'll make playing big band and swing fun (at least for a little while).

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've played some DB, for about 4 hours, and then promptly knew I'd need one down the line. They are $$$ but it's one of the most fun times I've had playing a bass...I didn't seem to have much trouble adjusting, and my teacher commented on my ability to play in tune. Not that I'm any good...I just figured out what sounded like poo and avoided it, hence, my pitch was pretty good after about 10 minutes. (Still horrible, but bearable)

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.