If you wanna slap really fast like flea...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Matt Till, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    practice... seriously, look into it. There was a time in my life where I was like, I wanna play super fast like Flea, then I got a Mel Bay book called "Percussive Grooves" it gave a lot of info on the use of dead notes. Once you can lay something down... speed it up gradually. Eventually you will play super fast, then you will get sick of it and want to move on to bigger and better things. Good luck.
  2. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I can play like marc hoppus and I never practice! Practice is for weenies, stupidmatt doesn't know what he's talking about:p
  3. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    or better yet, don't even learn to slap fast, or think about anything like that until you can get a solid rythm goin, THEN you can learn to slap like a master and make yerself look cool in front of all your friends....and then once the real songs start, make yourself look good in front of the pros as well.
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

an odd concept... but slapping really fast is all that matters... apparently.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    it's true...but...there is hope...I went to guitar center the other day, and 98% of what I played was fingerstyle stuff and I got complimented by a grip of people that I was "amazing"
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Really? I thought all you needed to do to play like Flea was to strip down to your tighty whiteys and jump up and down while some other half naked guy jumps up and down and sings out of tune. Wow. Learn something new every day....:)
  7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    But what if I want to slap like flea?

People don't search, so i think matt should mae this same thread at least 3 times a day.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

It's mostly the n00bs... they will either learn to search or get mocked until they leave... or so it seems to work this way.
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well fingerstyle can be impressive... if it's super fast. :bassist: ;)

All that slap is is just bells and whistles. :p

10. Nah...really? :D
  11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I saw a friend from out of town the other day - I've jammed with the guy many times. We're very good friends and he's seen me play a wide variety of stuff. I know for a fact he has seen me slap & pop one time - one song. So he's telling me that he just met a bassist in his area and he's excited that the guy is really good - he said "he's the only other person I've ever seen play like you..."
    I ask "what's that mean - he plays with his fingers?" and my buddy says "yeah!" AND he begins to mime slap motions :rolleyes: I told him I don't play like that much...

the point is out of hours worth of playing - the slap piece is the 90 seconds he remebers...Maybe we should all slap more - it seems to be the best bass playing in the eyes of non bass players.
  12. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    No thanks, I've driving. :)

Good to see another Zappa freak around here. None of the kids at my school like these Mothers... specially since my teacher told us what the words to their songs meant.

Sincerely Forever,
    Suzy Creamcheese
    Salt Lake City, Utah

13. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    the point is out of hours worth of playing - the slap piece is the 90 seconds he remebers...Maybe we should all slap more - it seems to be the best bass playing in the eyes of non bass players. [/B][/QUOTE]
    So True! I play my arse off every Friday and Saturday night in nightclubs doing covers and the only time people come up to me and give me a compliment on my playing is when we throw in "Higher Ground" or "Aeroplane"(by RHCP's), which BTW is the only time I slap! You know what it is...its the fact that (and I'm sorry to all the nice, sober people who come see us play!) drunken doofi cannot HEAR bass!:( The only time they are forced to hear you is when you are creating the kind of cutting transients that slapping produces!:mad: So all that beatiful pocket playing is for naught and my heart weeps for the future!
  14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    How about playing for the song whether it requires one note or as thousand?

Sorry if that's a dumb idea guys, I'm feeling a little way out & wacky today...

15. im fairly new at bassing (4 years) and remember when id been playing for about 6 months and i was in my slapping phase that many bassists i know have gone/are going through. I'd slap really fast and think i was totally cool and id be really happy when people would compliment me. I dont have a problem with that because i think its part of getting better as a bassist BUT now i only play a few short slap parts in two songs that i play as i appreciate playing with people and fitting in well etc rather than impressing. And its also great to have bass players complimenting me for playing what im playing, even though im not slapping and im standing behind 4 horn players. I find that is better than being complimented for playin fast slap solos that i thing sound like a twangy mess.
    So hooray for fingerstyle and playing stuff thats good for the music as a whole.
  16. Origionally posted by Howard K

Are you crazy!?! That'll never catch on. The next thing you know, people would start to learn the bass lines off of Mile's Kind of Blue, and I think we all know where that would lead, to more musical diversity, that's where. Nope, nope, nope. We can't have that, it's all about speed.;)
  17. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Oh my word. please forgive me. I dont know what came over me...

note to self: must buy new electric drill and 8 new picks...
  18. That's right, and toss those Miles Davis records too. They're a bad influance. And any bluegrass, country, folk, blues or classical records too. Way to slow.
  19. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Man, I can't belive Norah Jones won so many grammy's, most of it is dog slow!

I've got some serious thinking to do. Half my record collection needs sacking, I need to completely re-think my technique and maybe start learning guitar instead ;)
  20. I'm playing Ralph Towner's Solo Concert right now. There's no bass at all in that (gasp), much less fast slapping bass.

I feel so dirty.

What to play next, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers or Chicago's Greatest Hits?