1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

If You Wanted a Bass from Rondo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeVictim, Apr 16, 2009.

1. You better hurry up and get them before the headstock changes to what looks very generic in my opinion. Come this summer all headstocks similar to the big F will now look more like an Arbor or Jay Turser style headstock. I don't know if it's important to you but you may want to pull the trigger on one soon before the headstock change is implemented.

Here is a thread from the agile forums.

http://www.agileguitarforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=16189&page=1

You may resume to the norm now. :bag:

2. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

3. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
    I'm not clear. Is that supposed to apply to the bass headstocks as well?

4. OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! :help:

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Yet the basses will still be of the same quality, and people will still buy them because of their value vs quality.

6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The headstocks of the basses will be changed. Personally I don't care much what they look like. I liked the "fishhook" headstock. But SX is changing them to be more generic looking and fend off any future lawsuits from Fender. At least Fender can't sue over the body style since they lost that patent right in court recently.

7. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    Its a PV Raptor headstock!

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Buy up a bunch of Rondo neck's now and you'll be set.

9. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Ahh, but the thing is, there aren't many choices right now.....

And as to the thread subject, has anyone ever gotten a reason for the change from Kurt? I'd ask him if I cared.

I really don't think the new headstock will be that awful anyway. Because the truth is I never bought them (SX) because of the headstock anyway.

And I think the new design will set them (SX) apart from the others, even more than now. And if no one will buy them, well that is more for me!!!

And it strikes me as funny, when I bought my first SX I seem to remember the vibe going round then was that their headstock was too big. Eh, can't please everyone I guess. And if the upset now is because they will look less like a Fender, I say good! If you want a Fender, buy a Fender, or even a Squier.

They will still be the same quality bass and hopefully the same ridiculous low price! (Kurt, don't read that last bit....)

:D

10. The only problem with that, "buy a fender or a squier", is that SX has proven to be superior in most cases to either one. Why spend $200 on a squier when you can get something with better materials, better playability, and in most cases better tone at half that price. It would be like me telling you to pay $10 on a hotdog when you can get them now for $5 a pack. The headstock is what attracted me to the SX line in the first place. It didn't look like every other copy out there. Some other imports look really bad. Their generic headstock look kinda lame IMO.

Just trying to give a headsup to those that like the current headstock. ;)

11. While I'm not trying to discount the fact that the SX is a lot of bass for little money, can you please provide this "proof" of which you speak?

12. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    A little off-topic, but does anyone know when these new SX's are supposed to drop? I know in the OP is says 'Summer', but has there been a more specific timeline offered?

And does anyone have a line on if there are going to be any new models/options being offered also?

13. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I see what you are saying, and I really like the current headstock, I have 3 of them, I should like them! But I can still stand by the statement if you want a Fender, buy a Fender. I have a Squier VM and I love it, but I love my SX basses as well.

And as has been said, the SX even with a fret job and setup is still cheaper than any new Fender and will end up about the same as the VM and CV lines from Squier. And it will most likely play better than the squiers and (depends on the person) sound better. They will definitely be louder than a Squier VM.

The comparison between the Squier and 2 SX Jazz basses and one SX P bass is from me as I own all of them.

The funny part is, it depends on what the person who buys the bass is looking for in terms of neck feel, thickness, colors, pickup sound etc....

The SX basses are a viable option for folks who don't want to spend for or cannot afford a Fender or even a Squier. If a guy took an SX and put all Fender hardware on the bass, Fender electronics and had a fret job done, he would have a bass that was of equal Quality to the Fender at about half the price!

Like I said, I love fenders, Squiers, SX, and a lot of others, but if you want one of a certain brand, buy one.

And I too will miss the current headstock, but don't have an issue with the new one either.

14. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Does the proposed change relate to the Brice basses as well?
    They have a pretty decent headstock design, no need to mess it up.

15. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Frankly I don't care what headstock they put on them. I just wish they'd offer something other than their basic designs in 5-strings. Very sad and lonely in the 5-string category compared to the 4-strings.

I've chatted with Kurt several times about a 5-string P-bass, but he says he can't find a 5-string P-bass pickup supplier. I still think if he offered 5-string P's he'd absolutely clean up. A 5-string P/J SX would be a wonderful thing.

16. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I have been waiting for there maple black blocked and bound necks to come in. It is taking forever!

17. I am not sure where the thread is now but one talkbass member posted sound clips of his SX and Fender and let other forumites guess which was which. Needless to say, people preferred the tone from the SX over the Fender. Sorry I don't know where that thread is.

I had my doubts too. Got a guitar partly in trade for an acoustic I had from way back and my SX strat stomps my buddy's MIM strat and is very comparable after a tuner upgrade to the MIA he has.

18. I am pretty sure they are out until the new design comes in.

Not trying to start a flame war here. I personally despise the new headstock. The old (current) headstock design was one of the first things that attracted me to rondo and the SX brand. I am just trying to do the good neighbor thing just in case someone here was not aware of it and dislikes the new headstock design as much as I do. ;)