Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If you watch Animes......

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Orco87, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    If you watch animes then hopefully you're familiar with Cowboy Bebop. It's made it over to the states on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network and it has some sweet music, (at least to me)
    The artist that does the music is a famous one up in Japan, Yoko Kanno. I have most of the music of from the 3 Cowboy Bebop soundtracks. It's a type of bebop jazz music and I'm liking it.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of anymore artists that do this type of music and what good songs are out there for downloading or just merely checking out. Anything related to this or this kind of thing exactly is what I'm looking for and highly appreciated. :D

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Well, Yoko Kanno's a total genre-hopper; if you've got the "Cowboy Bebop" soundtracks, there's everything from techno to J-pop to old-school heavy metal there.

If you're talking about "Tank!", the amped-up horn-laden big band theme song, I guess the closest thing to that are cheesy old '70s recordings by Maynard Ferguson, Doc Severinsen, Al Hirt, Xavier Cugat, etc., and more recent recordings by Bob Mintzer and Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabacken. If you want a bass-related album in that vein, Jaco's "Word of Mouth" is pretty good.

Great show, by the way.

3. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    Cool, thanks. I guess I'll just go with Jaco's "Word of Mouth" I haven't really heard any of his stuff although many around view him with an equality to God, so I guess I'll download some of his stuff. Thanks.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    "Word of Mouth" is kind of all over the place; be prepared to adjust your ears.

The Maynard Ferguson and Doc Severinsen stuff is actually closer to the Cowboy Bebop theme.

5. saw it for the first time last night. great show, great music. i want a t-shirt! :D

6. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    Rock on! I'll go and check out all these guys, I gotta start learnin' how to play some other forms of music. Thanks! :)

7. isuckbass

isuckbass

Oct 1, 2001
    do u know how to play "tank" if so could u post the tab