If you were a guitarist, which one would you pick?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    After seeing Allodox's thread and his choice of instrument, I started to think about which instrument I would pick if I became active as a guitarist myself.

While I'm a big fan of modern bass designs, my taste on guitars leans to the traditional, so I'd probably pick a Gibson of some sort. I really like the Lucille/Es-335 shape.[​IMG]

I also like the Fender Robben Ford [​IMG]

And the Beatle fan in me would love a Rickenbacker.

I also like PRS guitars a lot.

Anyone else?
  2. Depends on the musical style, I guess. I wouldn't want to see/hear Lucille in a black metal band, but the Robben Ford seems pretty versatile. Personnally, I think I'd get a Les Paul or a Fat Strat (Strat w/ humbuckers). :)

Also, check this out: www.godinguitars.com ;)
  3. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm more of an acoustic lover...Martin D45 would be my choice (if I had the money).

I've got a nice Washburn 12 string right now, but if I went electric...Gibson ES335 is my all time favorite. IMHO, there is nothing better.
  4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Probably a Les Paul, 335, or a nice classical
  5. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    A Fat Strat would probably be the guitar I'd choose if I was a guitarist which I'm not so.....just hypothesising!

Andy :p
  6. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Some steel-stringed acoustic or a resonator, me thinks.

On electric front, Gibson's new Faded SG's feel awfully nice with their sanded finish, are pretty inexpensive (for a Gibson) and I like the shape too.. Perhaps would change the pups to Ruokangas Dukebuckers but anyways.

7. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Most of my guitar work leans towards the acoustic side. But my electric of choice is a Strat. My second choice would probably be an SG.
  8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I am a guitarist and I always come back to the Strat or Strat style guitar.

JET, Suhr, and Anderson make some very nice guitars. If I had money to burn I'd have one of each.
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Gibson ES-335
    Anderson strat
  10. My MIJ strat fills my guitar playing needs pretty well. An original 70´s Yamaha SG2000 would be nice though.
  11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Very nice choices. I'll take one of each myself.
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ask Tom Anderson to send you his catalog..........you'll forget you ever heard the name "Gibson."

OR - maybe a Heritage.
    The cream of the crop of the old Gibson employees created the Heritage company when Gibson moved to Nashville but they chose to stay in Gibson's original location - Kalamazoo, MI.
    They make Gibson designs the way they were meant to be made and started their operation in the Gibson building that was built in 1917.
  13. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    D'Angelica New Yorker....ooofa !
  14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I *am* a guitarist, and for me, Josh Walsh wins with that Hamer Ultimate. USA Hamers are very, very sweet guitars.

I'm personally not a huge fan of current Fenders or Gibsons, or really even most older ones, especially at inflated "vintage" prices. (Anybody notice how the definition of vintage shifts with what's available on the market? Years ago, nobody thought '70s Fenders and Gibsons were that great; now they're vintage. But I digress....) Gibson is at least coming out with some more value-priced offerings lately, but I can't remember the last time I picked one up, really at any price, that grabbed me. Of course, if you must have the Les Paul sound and only that, there's really only one way to go.

Personally, I like USA Hamers, PRSs (though I think they're a tad overpriced now), and Carvins. Andersons, Suhrs, and Melancons and the like are also great, though not my thing. G&L makes some Fender style instruments that if I were so inclined, I'd prefer to most current Fenders. If I played metal or alt-metal, I might like Jacksons or ESPs, or the better Ibanezes. There are all sorts of boutique builders (e.g., Tim Diebert, www.timtone.com), just as for basses, but I'm assuming you probably don't want to go there (yet).

But your choice is going to be greatly influenced by what kind of music you want to play. A Stratoid is a good basic versatile instrument. For moderate bucks, you could consider an American Standard Fender, a Carvin Bolt (better guitar for my tastes), a G&L whatever-the-hell-the-model-number-is, or a used Hamer USA Daytona. Anderson et al are more high-priced spreads. If you do country at all, there seems to be some kind of law that you must play a Teleoid. You could, again, try Fender, G&L, or Carvin, all of whom make things in this style, or the aforementioned makers and their like for pricier alternatives.

For blues, I've seen everything under the sun. Picker's choice. I loved SRV, but I don't care if I never see another blues guitarist with a hat and a Strat.

For hard rock to metal, you probably want the humbucker thing, and you need to decide whether you need a trem or not. Anything from a Les Paul to an Ibanez JEM to an ESP to a Carvin to a Jackson to a PRS to a Hamer could work here.

For jazz, more and more younger players are using solidbodies (Mike Stern uses a Yamaha Teleoid, Wayne Krantz uses a Strat), but I think the bigger number still go for a big hollowbody, if they're really trad, or a semihollow (e.g. Scofield).

I'm kind of a fan of what I think of as nouveau hollowbodies. I own a Hamer Newport Pro, which is a thin bodied guitar that is reminiscent of a 335 but noticeably smaller all around, and which (unlike a 335) doesn't have a solid block down the middle but is almost entirely hollow except for a block under the bridge. I also have a Carvin Holdsworth Fatboy, which sort of looks as if Gumby had a pudgy lovechild with a Telecaster. It too is almost entirely hollow, though you wouldn't know to look at it.

Hope some of this helps.
  15. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    My two choices are:

A Fender Elite Strat. I'm not a big fan of Fender, but this limited production guitar is probably the most versatile sounding Strat I have ever heard. Active pickups, with a dummy coil under the pickguard that will make any pickup into a humbucker, 3 push button pickup selectors for more pickup configurations, the sweetest "V" neck, and much more.

Hamer Mirage II - USA Hamers Rule. This guy has lots of neat appointments, plays well, and has AWESOME tone. Seymour Duncan JB in front, and a SB '59 in the rear. Locking tuners, and a smooth trem.
  16. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Any archtop guitar would be fine in my book. If I had the money, I would own one right now.
  17. A Telecaster! :)

When I was younger I thought that Teles were ugly, and couldn't figure out why so many people played them; then I played one! :hyper: IMHO, this is another design that Leo got right, right off the bat.

A Telecaster with a Fender humbucker at the neck would be preferable. http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0137502 This one, in sunburst with a rosewood board would please me no end.

Also, a G&L ASAT Bluesboy. (essentially the same thing)

P.S. I'm having a hard time figuring out which bass to buy next, and I'm really thinking of getting a Tele.
  18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Either a gibson of some sort with P-90s or a Fender Jaguar.

I like the Jagstang a lot too.

Im actually thinking of picking up a six string bass (Fender Bass VI style) that I could play more like a guitar through my bass rig with chuncky distortion. Ive always thought that would be fun.

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I forgot to add that the thinline Telecaster is very very sweet and that I dont mind Strats one bit.