Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If you were a teacher.........

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sn0wblind, Mar 2, 2001.

1. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    IF YOU WERE A TEACHER, AND YOU COULD ONLY TEACH ONE THING TO YOUR STUDENT WHAT WOULD YOU TEACH???

I think I would teach them the scales/modes, or teach them how to read the music notation, depending on if they were gonna use the music staff alot, otherwise I dont think reading music is really that important

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'd teach them that they are going to be taught more than one thing :)

3. I'd teach them how to hear and learn things for themselves. This assume we are talking about being a music teacher.

FF

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I would teach them how to figure out how to play music they hear and like. Better yet, I would teach them how to transcribe it, which would mean, of course that they have to know how to write standard notation and would understand music theory, chord structure and chord progressions. These basic things take a lot of time to learn, so I'd be set for many months or even a few years teaching all that.

So, in the end, the "one thing" becomes many things, all very important in the development of a musician.

JO

5. what kind of a lousy teacher would only teach one thing to his students?! :p

but of course that one thing would be, for me, to just TEACH him to PLAY the bass... but, of course, included in that would be: notation, theory, grooving.... etc. etc. etc...

Then I´m only teaching him one thing, right? to PLAY THE BASS!!

:D

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Be a musician(ie Listen to others)...;)

7. i would teach them my complete theory on how anarchy rules

8. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I am a teacher, and I teach my students to take what I say and apply it to other music that they play in real life. That my mistakes don't have to be their mistakes, and that good technique is it's own reward.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

9. I would teach them that they're going to need more lessons. ;)

10. I'd tell them to listen to as many different players in as many different styles/genres as possible, and not just idolise/copy one favourite player and pick up their favourite licks/clichés.

11. I have been a teacher (too busy for teaching now), so this is a real tuffy. I think the one thing that stands above all else for someone that wants to be a working bassist, is to learn to groove with a drummer. The notes dont mean a thing if the groove's not there. If a song is grooving or swinging, the feeling over-rides details like note choices.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bout the size of it...:)

13. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I would teach them how to find a decent teacher. ;)

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Point. If they were taking lessons from me, they probably don't need me, they need help...

15. I'd teach them that it's better to play dead simple really well, with musicality, creativity, a keen ear and restraint where necessary, than complicated, perhaps sloppily executed, fancy-arsed 'lines that impress the hell out of people and sound sterile and contrived.

If they can learn to do the former, and they're prepared to work at it, then they'll be in a great position to grow into the kind of musician I'd like to be some day.

PS this isn't to say that simplicity is always better, or that there aren't many incredible musicians who have the best of both worlds - but you can get scales and modes from any good book (or website :))

16. I would encourage my students to play with conviction(something I'm still trying to learn myself.)