1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

If you were an Attorney would you prefer to work for the prosecution or defense ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Prosecution

20 vote(s)
    54.1%
  2. Defense

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. And Carrots for ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

If you were an Attorney would you prefer to work for the prosecution or defense ? I would be inclined to be a prosecutor.

2. Prosecutor.

I wouldn't do well as a defence attorney. I like to sleep well at night.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    And Carrots for all!

If I get a job as an attorney the cab rank rule will see to the fact that I'll do defense work, regardless of what I think! I dunno, in the end you are just there to facilitate the law. Sleep easy knowing you do only what is asked and expected of you.

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Because putting innocents in jail never happens.

I hate the legal system. It's a game to be lost or one. Nobody gives a rat's ass over what really happened.

5. Lost Drummer

Lost Drummer

Aug 27, 2007
    Nashville TN
    prosecutor.

Much less likely to put an innocent in prison than let a guilty man go free, given the structure of the American legal system.

safer bet in my humble opinion

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Neither. Regulatory FTW!

edit: I don't like the assumptions made in your poll, Kevin. To me, this is saying "If you were to practice criminal law..." and I think its leading others to that assumption, given the talk of defending the bad guys and such.

7. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
    :eyebrow: what's the hidden question? This Q brings to mind so many Q's about the Q that I almost don't dare answer. Hmm.. I'm a hard workin man so I dare say defense.

8. Those usually are the defense attorneys. I couldn't defend a guilty client.

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Unless it was at the Federal level I would prefer to work for the defense. Most state and county prosecutor jobs end up being very political and don't pay well commensurate with the education. If your going to be a lawyer you might as well go the John Edward's route and chase as many ambulances as possible. Theirs no use being half a scum, what's the point? Go for the 20,000 square foot mansion.:D

On the other hand, my experiences with federal court have impressed me. They appear for the most part to be very professional and at the top of the prosecutor game. Also if your going to be a prosecutor, the Federal guys go after political corruption so you get to prosecute Lawyers, this is a huge fringe benefit.;)

10. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Sorry, I couldn't get past the phrase "If you were an attorney"! ... JK

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Whichever one is going to make me the most money.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Burke makes a great point in saying that prosecutor jobs are very political. The idea that prosecutors don't put honest people away does not hold up under scrutiny. What is worse, I have read and heard of many cases where prosecutors quashed exculpatory evidence such as DNA or eye witnesses over pretty petty technicalities because prosecutors often want to keep their records nice.

As I have said many times, alot of folks want to think that Mike Nifong's behavior in the Duke lacrosse case was some sort of exception. From what I have seen, the only difference between the Duke case and many thousands of other cases is that the Dukies had money and national support that kept the DA from going through with what happens 95% of the time.

13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    West Memphis Three, anyone?
    Doc, I don't think I could agree with you any more.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, but you'd have plenty of money for a psychiatrist. I voted prosecutor. My lead guitarist is a Chief Deputy DA. You can bet there's no drugs in our band.

15. Both.

16. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    That must suck. What are you all going to do once you become rock stars? Play golf?

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Prosecutioin only does it less because most of the time when people get charged they are guilty, so the prosecution has less of a chance to "slip up" like that. I still wouldn't be comfortable doing it.

18. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    LMAO. :D

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    We're all over 50 except the girl, so our chances at the big time are long over. We take naps.

20. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    With her?