1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

if you were broke and needed a small cab, what would you look for?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by narcopolo, May 29, 2007.

1. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i have a crate 215 cab. i need something smaller (five-piece band in a minivan). i've got a carvin 160 watt head. i'm not sure if i should go 2x10 or 1x15, but i basically want whatever is very affordable and not a space hog, without making me sound bad.
    any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Id go with an Avatar 1x12 Neo Cab.

Its rated for 250 watts.

Its only $250.00 + $29.00 for shipping, and its a killer cab for its wee size, weighing only 39lbs.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    A typical neo 210 is going to provide more SPL than a neo 112. When watts are short, go for a cab that does more with them.

4. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    In any event, an Avatar cab is a great bargain. I have an SB 112 and it's served me faithfully for over three years.

5. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Another vote for Avatar. Every now and then you can score some pretty good Avatar deals on Ebay too so you may want to check out that avenue.

6. datsgora

datsgora Guest

May 23, 2007
    N. Ca. Martinez
    I have a carvin 160 watt head (probably the same one....) and I use Carvins' extension cabinet...a 1 x 12 with the 1 x 10 that the amp is sitting in......sometimes I will just use only the 1x12 and it really does a fine job in small clubs.....25 to 50 people size club. Carvins' 2x10 cab goes for $249.00, I think. That would be a great deal.....John

7. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Avatar would work really well or pick something off the used market.

Though I think unless you got a guitarist using a stack, or a drummer who likes to use a 6-7 piece setup you should be able to fit everything in a mini van, unless the crate 2x15's bigger than I remember it being or it's just a smaller minivan.

8. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    My answer to this was building an 8ohm 1x10 (35 lbs) cab, and powering it with a QSC RMX1450 (40 lbs) with a PreSonus TubePre (< 5 lbs) on the front end. For outdoor gigs I add a 1x15 to it.

I forgot about the broke part. Woops. The cab was fairly cheap. $80 in it. The power amp is a different story, but it gave me a very versatile setup. The TubePre is about $100...less if you don't have to pay retail.

9. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Buy used gear, because your money goes much further. Check out the classifieds here.

10. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    +1-- used AVATAR NEO 210

11. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I wouldn't try to use just a 112 cabinet unless I was playing coffeehouse gigs with a drummer that could play soft.I've had a pair of Avatars,an Aguilar and a LDS 112 cabs and used them at practice but the smallest I'd go for a gigging band would be a 210 or a 115.An Avatar 212 is more like what you need but a 210 from Avatar or Dr Bass would work or a 115,212 or 310 from Dr Bass would work too.The Dr bass cabinets are much smaller than the Avatars but you would have to wait a few weeks to get your cabinet.All my 112s got pretty loud but I sure wouldn't trust them to gig with by themselves.A used Bag End 115 cabinet would be a good bet too.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Plenty of used 1-15 boxes around for $100 or so.

13. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    used bag end or peavey 1x15 prolly... that's just my preference. maybe a new dr bass...

14. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    +1 Avatar

15. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i suppose i will shop around for an avatar. thanks, guys! btw, the band is a drummer, me, two guitarists, and a keyboardist, so space really is tight.

16. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    There's an Avatar 212 Delta in the classifieds for $200 but the seller doesn't want to ship. I believe he's in Alabama. Maybe you could work out something halfway. Might be worth the trip.

17. There's an ebay company Mosh Audio that is selling new 210's, 410's and 115's dirt cheap. Does anyone know anything about the quality of these cabs?

18. steve66

steve66

Sep 17, 2005
    South Florida

19. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    +1, not exactly flat, has a signifigant mid bump, but it would be fairly light for a non-neo fifteen and a smallish box.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021