1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you were building a 1x15 cab, what speaker would you use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hand Amputation, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Hand Amputation

Hand Amputation

Sep 14, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Hello,

I am having a good friend build a 1x15 cab to go with my newly acquired Fender Bassman 400 combo. I see that Fender has a 115h cab that can be used with it, but I would rather build something with a better speaker.

My question is... What speaker should I go with? I don't want or need anything SUPER expensive.. But something middle of the road would be nice.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!

2. What type of speakers are in the combo ?

Whatever the setup, get another matching cab for it.

3. I went for an Eminence Kappa 15", 400W at cost me around £65 (UK).
    It needs a fairly big box, ie bigger than 90 litres. I used a 2 way crossover set to 1.5 Khz and employed a midrange unit to handle the mids and highs.
    It sound nice and it's flippin loud (103db spl).

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    If Fender makes an extension cab for that combo then I would choose that cab. If not, find out what speaker is in the combo and build an identical cab to the inside of your combo amp.

5. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    if you've got the 2x10 combo, I'd suggest adding another 2x10, preferably a matching one.
    Adding a 1x15 will only introduce comb filtering, and won't really get you any extra low end.

6. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    fearful
    or something

7. Hand Amputation

Hand Amputation

Sep 14, 2008
    Oklahoma
    This is the amp that I bought:

uT5fEDN.

And this is the cab that Fender sells to match:

zGjbpIK.

I like the matching cab, but they are pretty hard to find. My good friend is VERY handy and could build one that looks pretty much just like it.

Here are the specs for the combo:

ZW3XVPH.

And here are the specs for the cab:

tsoTuCB.

8. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    seriously, build another 2x10.
    Fender sells the 1x15 as a "matching cab" purely on looks alone. another 2x10 will be a wiser investment.

9. Hand Amputation

Hand Amputation

Sep 14, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Definitely something to think about. Would be more expensive, though. That is a factor.

10. Building one that "looks just like it" is different then using proper cabinet building science to match the cab to the speaker being used.

11. Hand Amputation

Hand Amputation

Sep 14, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I completely understand that. Maybe it was a bit of an understatement. He has built amps, guitars, and cabinets in the past. He is doing all the research on the electronic side of things. I just need to pick a speaker...

12. If your friend is doing the research, then your friend should be able to answer your questions. If not, then folks here have answered your questions. But, to be more direct... If I were picking one, middle-of-the-road 15in speaker, it would be an Eminence CB15. It is a very well known, and liked, bass speaker. Will it sound good with your setup... no flippin' idea! Again, it's not just the speaker! And, pairing even a pretty good 15in cab with a 2X10 combo is still a crap shoot for how it will sound. Ya just don't know. So, you take a chance with what *might* sound good, or you do what will be much more likely to sound good.

13. Hand Amputation

Hand Amputation

Sep 14, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My friend is not a bass player. I came here to simply ask for speaker advice. Thanks for your advice.

14. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Eminence Legend CB158 is a good sounding speaker, cost about $130, and works well in almost any size enclosure. But read thru these threads, and you'll hear warnings about mixing speakers sizes in bass rigs.

15. Hand Amputation

Hand Amputation

Sep 14, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Thanks! I will look into this.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That Legend is a good choice in the hopes of ending up with something "workabke" by sticking it in a box, but there are better ways to go about this, including designing a box purpose built for that Legend.

Search up some of the DIY speaker build threads here to get an idea of how a bass cab should be built. If your friend builds guitar cabinets, that is very different from bass. On guitar, nearly all the tone is in the driver, while the cabinet isn't much more than something to keep the driver from rolling around on the floor. On bass, the box dictated what the lowend will be. Get it wrong and your lowend could suck, or not be able to take much power down there.

That Legend is one of the better speakers to work with if you haven't done a bass cab before. It's fairly "friendly" towards variations in enclosure size and tuning, and should at least sound decent if you get "close enough" on the box.

Then search up some threads on mixing different types of speakers. Though it's a common myth, the whole "15's for lows, 10's for punch" is just that, a myth.

17. Hand Amputation

Hand Amputation

Sep 14, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Great advice! Thank you.

18. Hand Amputation

Hand Amputation

Sep 14, 2008
    Oklahoma
  19. Hand Amputation

Hand Amputation

Sep 14, 2008