If You Were Building a Fender Jazz, Would You....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groover, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Geddy Lee Jazz Body

49 vote(s)
  2. USA 1991 Jazz Body

33 vote(s)
  1. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    If You Were Building a Fender Jazz, Would You.... use a Geddy Lee body with 70's Jazz pup spacing, or would you use a USA 1991 Jazz body with string thru body and regular pup spacing.

This would ultimately be my "one" Jazz bass. Which combination would ultimately make a better bass?

Both bodies are black and would be matched with a 1975 Maple P-Neck.

Thanks for your help.
  2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I like the 70's string spacing, since I tend to use my bridge pickup more than the neck, and I like that extra bite.

If this is your 'one' jazz, and you're willing to put the money into it, you could have a competent luthier drill holes for a string-thru-body design on a Geddy Lee body, which gives you the best of both worlds!
  3. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
  4. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
  5. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Which one is cheaper?
  6. WyattUrp

Dec 16, 2005
    +3 for Geddy with string through:hyper:
  7. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Gosh, 18 GL versus 19 USA right now... no wonder I can't decide :D

Might do the GL with string through mod as some of you have suggested.

Thanks for voting.
  8. I like the Geddy Lee. No idea what a string thru would do to it and if what it does will be worth it. So i stick with bolt on *shrug*.
  9. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Yes, but how many of us voters actually explained our vote? :D

If you do go through with that, might I suggest the new BAIII, complete with pre-grooved saddles and string-thru capabilities?

I'm interested to see how it goes.
  10. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    I would build it with a '91 body because I like it that way but since we're talking about what you want for your 'one' jazz bass then only you can answer your question.

and the way to answer it is.....

go to a guitar shop and play a seventies spacing jazz and a regular one. The one where the bridge pickup sounds best to you should be your choice. Whether you want the string through body or not, just get it done after if you really want it.

"the better bass" is the one you like the sound of the most, nobody can tell you that.
  11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Regarding the string through modification - I would definitely not bother. After using both top load and string through on the same basses (my fenders have both options) I find no benefit to string through. I find one con with it and so I dont use string through anymore.

When stringing up your bass, its much more likely to twist the string from end to end as you bring it up to tension because the string ball is not as free to rotate as with top loaded stringing. When your strings twist from end to end at full tension its very difficult to undo because of the kink at the bridge. Twisted strings result in various degrees of pitch variation about each fretted note which I find intolerable. Ever use a digital tuner and find that the indicator swings back and forth ever so slightly? Twisted string...

I would make your decision based solely on which pickup config you like the tone of best. 70s sounds different from the original 60s spacing. I like both!
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you like the pickup positioning, go for it. You can drill for string thru options easier than you can move a pickup.
  13. momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I learned my lesson the hard way, so I will say whichever one the neck fits better.
  14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Since you seem to want a 70's sound (based on the neck choice and the options. I would go with the GL and get a good bridge like a Bada$$ or hipshot and you would have a killer bass and be done with it. I have both string through and top load basses, what are you hoping expecting to gain by having the string through setup? I think there are advantages, but it really depends on the quality of the instrument. Seems like you're using good pieces so you should be OK.
  15. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    +1. Worry about the pickup positioning first, and then later you can see if you still want to mess with modding for String-Thru capabilities.
  16. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks again guys. Sounds like it may not be worth the string-through mod on the Geddy body if that's what I end up going with.

I honestly don't really know what to expect by having a string-through, other than it just seems as if a lot of high-end boutique basses I've seen have that, so immediately I think that it must be better... :smug:
  17. ()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    i'd use the gl for sure because the body doesn't have all the routing and the tool positioning holes on the top like the american series have (or at least have these days, maybe they didn't in '91)