1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you were buying a bass on ebay....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SquierBender, May 4, 2010.

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. No

46 vote(s)
    82.1%
  1. SquierBender

SquierBender

Oct 22, 2009
    Would you like to see that it has new strings?

2. wouldn't make a difference, more than likely not the kind I would use anyway...

3. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    fleabee said it exactly as I would

4. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    +1 I just bought a brand new bass from a store and the first thing I did when I got it home was put my strings on it. That said, if the ebay seller used the same strings I do, then duh! Of course. But, chances are somewhat slim. Unless, you don't care about what strings you have on your bass, then it would be nice if it was re-strung with new ones.

5. If there was a choice of strings with the purchase that would be great

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    No. Of all the basses I've picked up on ebay or even the Tb classifieds, none of them had strings I likes or use.

I've mostly received them with D'Addarios (I could tell by those coloured balls) but I use highbeams.

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    No. I'd see it as a gimmick to drive up the cost of the bass for the new strings.

I'm going to use my strings and set it up to my preferences anyway, so I could care less if it's got new strings or no strings.

8. It's almost tradition to restring a bass when you first get it. It's like slappin a baby when it comes out.

9. I voted no. I put my own brand on. Definitely dont want to pay a premium for a bass that has elixers on it :help:

10. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    No. I will put what I want on there.

11. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    No. I prefer to play with steels and most times a reseller will string it with nickels. Plus as was mentioned I want to do my own setup on the bass, including adding a HipShot Xtender.

12. fmoore60

fmoore60

Jun 11, 2008
    Jonestown, PA
    No, I have the strings pulled, Bass setup, and my desired brand installed. This is even if I buy one new off the wall. This way I know what brand and when strings were put on! Iz likes what Iz like!

13. propel

propel

May 10, 2007
    Montreal
    No, like so many others have said, what's the point if it's not strings you like/use?

...although I got lucky: the guy I bought my Rick from had recently put some rotosounds on it :D

14. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Would I like an eBay bass to have a new set of the exact strings I want on it so I don't have to buy them myself? Of course. That can't be your real question though, because who wouldn't want that?

What are you really asking? Would we not bid on a bass just because the strings weren't new? Another unanimous answer - of course not.

I don't understand what you're asking.

15. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    I voted no but it really doesn't matter to me. The chance that an ebay seller would have the bass strung up with Fender Nylon Tapewounds is slim to none and it really doesn't matter to me if they're new because they last a long time. I'm down to one bass right now but I've had another bass in the past that had the tapes on for years.

16. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    No, that just adds cost of new strings to the cost to buyer. And since the seller prob isnt useing the sttrings I want, itd be a waste of money for us both for it to come with new strings.

17. No, it runs up the cost and I like old strings. If I don't like what's on there, I'll install Labella Flats...then let them age.

18. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Only if they're the strings I think I'd start with on that bass. I'm a big believer in finding the right strings for individual basses rather than presuming that one set will work for me on all my basses. So it's just not an issue. Ship it with old ones because I'm likely to cut 'em off and slap new ones on there anyway.

John

19. +1