If you were famous...what brand would produce your signature bass and what would it be like?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by misterCRUSH, Oct 1, 2022.

1. misterCRUSH

misterCRUSH It's all jazz...it's ALL jazz...

Dec 27, 2015
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Ibanez for me, very similar to the SRF705 that I own. I love it's neck through construction for sustain. It's plethora of tones via the piezo under the bridge and two mag pickups is really amazing. The only things I would add would be a mid boost switch for solos and maybe a burled walnut top. Here's mine:

269738340_251129613791637_4554283888076414425_n.jpg

Spruce Knob, cbdriver, 2pods and 20 others like this.
  2. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Of course, it would be a Mike Lull M5V, but equipped with custom Lindy Fralin single-coil stock wound pickups and a John East J Retro Deluxe preamp. And gold hardware….

Not sure of the finish choice, but it would be a translucent color to show off the wood grain. Maple fretboard and stainless steel frets.

I pretty much have this very bass with the Trans Teal finish, but minus the stainless steel frets.

There’s nothing terribly unique about the bass, but it’s my heart & soul forever bass. And I haven’t quite made enough progress towards being worthy of a signature instrument. But it’s a worthy goal, right?…..:roflmao::roflmao:

3. It would be a fender roscobeck 5 string, in fiesta red with tort. And it would weigh about £8. And I'd have a 4 string of the same base

4. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Ernie Ball MusicMan StingRay5 Special H S
    Alder body , Brazilian rosewood fingerboard , flamed roasted maple neck , old school mutes , amethyst sparkle finish , pearl white pickguard ,
    Gold hardware matching headstock

And a Fretless with same specs except H pickup , ash body, figured flamed maple fingerboard, sparkle white finish , no pickguard , matching headstock .

5. Bassaga

Bassaga

Sep 4, 2015
    Arizona
    I'd ask Dean to make mine, I've never touched a bass that feels as good to me as my Dean.
    5 strings, 16.5 spacing, neckthru. Yin Yang metal flake finish, because I've always wanted to try that. Nordstrand pickups arranged and wired like the Tribe SF5. Perfection.

I think it's funny that we all think about this :laugh: Gotta be ready!

B-Mac, fedev80, Crispus and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    it's been done for me, just not done for ME the famous guy thx to Epiphone's TOBY Std. 4.
    the only thing I'd change is a PU swap for Epi's humbuckers used in the T-Bird and Explorer.

clickclack likes this.
  7. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Squier of course: Jag SS, metallic blue with a competition stripe (like the Cobain mustang), anodized pickguard, comes with tapewounds

TyBo, tpa, elgranluis and 2 others like this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If I were both rich AND famous, I would never get a signature bass made. Why? Cuz there are way too many cool basses out there for me to tie myself down to one.

:D

OK, fine. I'll play by the rules.

Mike Lull.
    35" 19mm spaced 2 octave neck
    Nordstrand Big Split at the neck
    Nordstrand Dual Coil at the bridge but a little closer to the neck than Jazz bridge position (maybe MM position)
    VVT
    3 way switch for neck/both/bridge
    3 way switch for series/single/parallel on the bridge pickup

1 Denim Blue matte quilt Maple with roasted Maple board chrome parts, matching headstock

One Mahogany oil finish rosewood board and black parts.

One jet black gloss ebony board black parts

One white w/Maple board chrome parts white pickups.

:drool:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  9. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Easy, I’m almost there already. Start with my honeyburst 2007 SR5HH, give it a matching headstock, make the fretboard markerless, and shave off enough weight to get it under 9 pounds (it’s about 9.5 pounds).

They may not sell many, but I’d be in bass heaven. :woot:

BDC50825-4886-4FCF-A329-92A3AC0CB0B8.jpeg

2pods, Malak the Mad, Giffro and 8 others like this.
  10. I would force Alembic to product some sort of lightweight bass of undetermined style as of yet to be determined to my liking but whatever it is, it will have to be light.

:)

11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I've been making my own basses for a few years now, and once you have a builder that clued in to what you really like, there's just no reason to go anywhere else. I put my initials on the headstocks of my basses, so they're all (in addition to all being made just for me, and exactly how I like them) signature basses for that reason, too.

They're all 5 strings, with the same exact neck profile, and almost identical ergonomics. They differ in pickup configurations and circuits, so I have a decent amount of diversity in a small herd. And they're all under 8 pounds, and balance perfectly, without the need for a grippy strap.

12. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    Interesting exercise. Ain’t never going to happen.

If some miracle came to pass, it would be a variation of this parts bass.

D30D0885-9B27-45F7-8A5E-5F8668CE94C4.jpeg

2007 J5 Deluxe 22 fret neck, (dark) rosewood board
    2012 J5 Deluxe Body, routed to accept the longer 2007 neck (Pat Wilkins did this one)
    Sadowsky preamp (non-negotiable)
    Delano JMVC pickups (I could live with the 2007 Fender Noiseless)
    HipShot 18mm bridge
    Black body, black matching headstock, Gold Fender logo
    Lightweight ash body

QED

2pods, amper, Crusher47 and 3 others like this.
  13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I basically already have two of them. My Roscoe Exotic-6 and my Spector Euro 6LT.
    B8AF9B26-2735-4BED-94C0-8A7F06B52F23.jpeg But, I’d commission the good people at Spector’s U.S. Workshop to build me an NS6XL.
    I’d go with wings made of quilted maple tops with alder backs. Spector’s standard graphite reinforced 3 piece rock maple neck, with an ebony fingerboard and abalone crown inlays. And I’d like red LED side dots. I’d want the bass finished in high gloss emerald green, with black hardware, including black Gotoh tuning gears. EMG X-Series active pickups and a 3-band U.S. Hazlabs preamp.

14. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Inland Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Probably my current #1, a Maruszczyk Frog with Delano HE/M2 pickups and a Maruszczyk Toneformer 3MS/TP preamp. I ordered it with several extra features not otherwise found on that model. I got most of what I want, but not all. If I was famous, I'd probably get those extra things I wasn't able to get this time.
    IMG_20220703_115521_2crop.jpg Panhandle Frog.jpg

I reserve the right to change my mind, though. I have an Adamovic bass being completed now that I should be getting within a month or so, a Lynn Ellsworth that will hopefully be completed by the end of the year, and I'm considering ordering a Padalka or a Ruokangas later this year or early next year. One of those could become my new #1, and therefore change my answer to this question.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    Arthur U. Poon, DJ Bebop and dave64o like this.
  15. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Yamaha, definitively. Than I would stand shoulder to shoulder with greats like Natan East and John Patitucci.

16. The reason I didn't chose Spector is that to me they're already perfect.
    So, my go-to signature bass would be a Charvel 850XL with active EMG's, sharkfin inlays and white binding.

ovezivql7uwt7icsu2uz.jpg

17. Eighthnoterock

Eighthnoterock Supporting Member

May 25, 2018
    Lynden Washington
    Famous implies rich. In that case I would buy all of the Fender Jazz Basses in Geddys Big Book of Basses. Then change my name to Fender :bassist:

18. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I'd have to go local, and get a custom Mike Lull.

Haven't been back to the shop since before Mike passed, but I have zero doubts that his son Spencer is carrying on his legacy.

I've been to the shop a number of times, I know the quality, I know what to expect.

That said,
    An M4, left-handed
    Alder body
    Maple neck
    Ebony fretboard
    Neck width/profile based on my Fender-bird
    Vintage frets
    Thinner body depth
    Black finish
    Chrome hardware
    Dual T-Bass pickups, position in roughly the P-J/J-J positions
    Master volume, master tone, mini switch pickup selector

19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Ferner.
    And it would be H-O-T
    upload_2022-10-1_20-20-56.png

20. VeryTallBassist

VeryTallBassist

Mar 21, 2022
    It would be a joint venture between Spector and EBMM. A Helium NS5XL with reclaimed redwood back and spalted maple top, finished in a satin purple burst, with a birdseye maple fretboard and black mother of pearl crown inlays. Blue luminlay side dots. 17.5mm spacing. EMG 40PX5 at the neck and TWX40 at the bridge with an EBMM Bongo preamp. Gold Hipshot Ultralight tuners and a gold Hipshot B style bridge. Gold strap locks too, of course.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.